• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Game: Round 17

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Correct.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Long overdue, but here's the next quote, from the dub. You won't be able to name the speakers, so a description of who they are and who they're talking about will suffice.

Character A: "Well, it looks like the Sky God is angry again."
Character B: "Why couldn't a friendly god have come? This one frightens me."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:33 am Reply with quote
Since I'm late on the first hint, the second hint will come faster.

Hint #1: spoiler[The person being talked about isn't a god but he did come from the sky, which to these people would have been a godlike feat.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
Boy, I'm totally dropping the ball on this, so here's two hints:

Hint #2: spoiler[The "sky god" is not native to this world. Neither is the person that the "sky god" is currently engaging in fisticuffs with.]

Hint #3: spoiler[In fact, most of the named characters in this series are not from their current world - or, for that matter, from the same time frame or even nationality (although Japanese origins are most common).]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Hint #4: spoiler[The "sky god" shot down a dragon or two in his Zero fighter before ending up here, and the person he's fighting is a famous Roman general.]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Ah, got it now.

This is from spoiler[Drifters episode 8. A and B are dog-men who are treating WW2 pilot Naoshi Kanno as a "sky-god". Kanno is fighting with Scipio Africanus, who he erroneously assumes is Italian.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Correct!

A long-overdue full review of that series is (finally!) pending, hence the quote choice.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Official subs:

A: "It's not as if we asked to be loved. Not me nor you. We might as well be cursed."
B: "Curses and blessings are the same in essence, A. What matters is how you take it."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[The "curse" these two are discussing is one that also afflicts the protagonist of the show, who is absent from this scene.]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Hint #2: spoiler[B is referred to by name only once - A mainly refers to her by her relationship with him.]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Hint #3: spoiler[A and B are part of the protagonist's pedagogical lineage of masters and apprentices.]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Have to post the last hint a bit early.

Hint #4: spoiler[The love A refers to is necessary for him to do his very unique job, which is the same job the show's protagonist is being trained in.]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:28 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[A is Lindel, B is Rahab, from episode 10 of The Ancient Magus' Bride.]

I guess my hints were too opaque. Turn is open.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:27 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm entirely missing how Hint #4 fully connect into what spoiler[Lindel] does.

In general, a Hint #4 should be fairly blatant, since if it gets to that point then either the quote's source is pretty obscure or else your previous hints have been too obtuse.

Anyway, turn is open.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Honestly, I'm entirely missing how Hint #4 fully connect into what spoiler[Lindel] does.

In general, a Hint #4 should be fairly blatant, since if it gets to that point then either the quote's source is pretty obscure or else your previous hints have been too obtuse.

spoiler[The "love" Lindel is referring to is the love that mages receive from fae. It is required, in a sense, if the mage is going to cooperate with the fae to work miracles.]

I guess I was being stingy with the hints because the episode was so recent and I figured it would be fresh in people's minds, but I'll avoid doing that from now on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 32