• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Thor: Ragnarok Film Director Waititi Wants to Adapt Akira Manga With Asian Actors

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get why it matters if they are Asian or not. I would hate what the outcome of All I Need Is Kill (Edge of Tomorrow) would have been if the Director was conforming to the pressure of purists. The character's race played no role in the plot or outcome of the film.

Unlike Attack on Titan where it was clearly stated that Misaka was the ONLY asian (mixed at that) but the live action adaption "Asian-afide" all the characters and even changed the name of the bad ass character to be Japanese. That I can see getting upset about.

But, for this film, as long as it's a good adaption of the plot and entertaining, race debate shouldn't have any place in it in the casting.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Amantha: Actually, Ghost in the Shell made good money on home video. It's Blade Runner 2049 which is flopping.
MrSatyre

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:
Didn't he cast black actors as Norse Gods? He doesn't seem like he'd be all that faithful to the source material given his past adaptions.

Presumably he'll also invent a time machine to go back to visit Akira Kurosawa and advise him that it's unacceptable to 21st Century social justice warriors to make movies based on Shakespeare's plays with Japanese actors. Oh, wait. It's not, because social justice warriors don't understand hypocrisy.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Watanabefan wrote:
I'm not even sure why that's being raised when he's explicitly said he'd push for that to not happen if he were chosen.

Unfortunate implications. He cares when it comes to recasting Asians as whites, but not when it's whites as blacks? That says something about the director and his underlying racial issues.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Unfortunate implications. He cares when it comes to recasting Asians as whites, but not when it's whites as blacks?

That's sorta the point, yes.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Watanabefan wrote:
I'm not even sure why that's being raised when he's explicitly said he'd push for that to not happen if he were chosen.

Unfortunate implications. He cares when it comes to recasting Asians as whites, but not when it's whites as blacks? That says something about the director and his underlying racial issues.

Indeed it says something about him: That he is aware of the giant racism issue that permeates Hollywood and the massive privilege that white actors and actresses enjoy vs non-white actors in terms of getting cast, especially for leading roles in blockbuster movies, which means white actors and actresses don't need any director to militantly ensure that "white" characters are kept "white" because they won't be lacking for jobs either way.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Indeed it says something about him: That he is aware of the giant racism issue that permeates Hollywood and the massive privilege that white actors and actresses enjoy vs non-white actors in terms of getting cast, especially for leading roles in blockbuster movies, which means white actors and actresses don't need any director to militantly ensure that "white" characters are kept "white" because they won't be lacking for jobs either way.

I was actually thinking more towards him being a racist. People sure like to complain about anime adaptions being whitewashed, but the minute the opposite happens a portion of them suddenly go "Well now hold on a minute..." If someone wants more certain types of characters, maybe they should make their own characters rather than stealing other people's characters. You know, like Japan does. Hollywood still has a lot to learn.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
People sure like to complain about anime adaptions being whitewashed, but the minute the opposite happens a portion of them suddenly go "Well now hold on a minute..."

Uh, yeah. That's kind of the whole point of what the poster said. Hollywood roles tend to overwhelmingly go to white actors, and Waititi knows there's a difference between adding to the diversity of the cast by casting more actors of color, and detracting from it by giving roles written for non-white characters to white actors.

It's really not rocket science.

Quote:
I was actually thinking more towards him being a racist.

Ah yes, changing the race of one white character in a film that is otherwise cast with white people makes him a huge racist. Glad you shed some light on it.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Watanabefan wrote:
Hollywood roles tend to overwhelmingly go to white actors

Probably because the characters were originally white. You may as well complain a majority of Japanese cinema characters are Japanese. Sounds like you care more about production politics than an adaption being good.

Quote:
Ah yes, changing the race of one white character in a film that is otherwise cast with white people makes him a huge racist. Glad you shed some light on it.

You mock, yet if the opposite happened, I imagine you would act different.
Watanabefan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Watanabefan wrote:
Hollywood roles tend to overwhelmingly go to white actors

Probably because the characters were originally white.

Yes, as the result of being created in a less enlightened time period. Now that's no longer the case. In fact I'm not even sure why this is even a sticking point since a large amount of superhero films nowadays try to diversify the casts.

Quote:
Sounds like you care more about production politics than an adaption being good.

And yet so far Valkyrie has been praised by the critics of being one of the best parts of the film. Almost like diversity isn't a bad thing.Laughing
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for being considerate, but I'd rather Hollywood not touch this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2