• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Is Anime Streaming Consumer-Friendly Right Now?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
... it required coercion from companies like FUNimation for them to even realize streaming is a major thing.

Objection! It was Crunchyroll (the pirate that went clean) which convinced production committee of selling them streaming rights, Funimation was like microsoft on the internet (late to the party, but still a major player). Production Committees preferred to work with established companies like funimation (that paid at the time far more for disc printing licenses). The thing that saddens me is that Funimation could have started streaming a decade before (obviously with a much lower quality) since the technology already existed (anyone remembers the realmedia codec?) and they had the right connections, but lacked the vision.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:06 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The last point I feel is the most important one: When you first get into something, you're really excited about it and you want to consume as much of it as you can. Your appetite is insatiable. An entire season of anime as it comes out might not be enough. After some time, unless anime is your true passion, and you click with it like few other people in the world, you stop getting so obsessed with it. The novelty will have worn off, you'll eventually get your fill, and there will probably be something else that will catch your interest. This sounds like something you've experienced, and I think this is an experience most people will have gone through, if not for anime then for something else. (With me, it was Sonic the Hedgehog. With a classmate of mine, it was Jurassic Park.)

Whatever it is you enjoy, once you've been consuming it for long enough, you start learning what it is you like and dislike and you become more selective. Or you might find that you just didn't like it as much as you used to and drop it entirely. I'd say the majority of the people who post here are of the "more selective" category. They've watched enough anime to find what they're truly drawn to and what they just watched back when they were younger because everything was new and exciting.

I’ve been reading this thread and the discussions it brought, but this comment that you wrote here has made me want to write something of my own now. For what it’s worth, I would like to say that even with the solid evidence that you provided, I personally think that there will still be some people who won’t become more selective after consuming the medium for a long time. For me, I’m 19 years old as I write this and I’ve been watching anime since March 28, 2013. I initially only watched harem, romance, and ecchi anime because I thought that was all I wanted from the medium. After branching out into other genres for anime, however, I quickly discovered that there’s so many other things it can do and provide me with that nothing else can. 4 years later, I still have plenty of obsession with it and I’m grateful for that. If anything, I grew less selective for anime, not more. Sorry for the long post and I hope that you didn’t mind me airing out my thoughts.

As for this topic, I will just stick with my current approach to anime streaming for now and that is watching it on Crunchyroll and Netflix. I’m not a fan of Amazon’s policies when it comes to anime and I don’t want them to think they’re doing something right by paying for it. However, if it’s licensed by Sentai Filmworks to be given a home video release, I’ll watch it via fan subs, but buy the Blu-Rays for it.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:19 am Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
The thing that saddens me is that Funimation could have started streaming a decade before (obviously with a much lower quality) since the technology already existed (anyone remembers the realmedia codec?) and they had the right connections, but lacked the vision.

The Anime Network was another missed opportunity, as they were doing streaming well before Funimation, and doing it legally before CR went legit. Their problem was they started out with a limited selection of older titles (only a half dozen when I first came across their site in late 2007 or early 2008), and didn't try their hand at simulcasts until CR had already shown the way.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Objection! It was Crunchyroll (the pirate that went clean) which convinced production committee of selling them streaming rights, Funimation was like microsoft on the internet (late to the party, but still a major player). Production Committees preferred to work with established companies like funimation (that paid at the time far more for disc printing licenses). The thing that saddens me is that Funimation could have started streaming a decade before (obviously with a much lower quality) since the technology already existed (anyone remembers the realmedia codec?) and they had the right connections, but lacked the vision.

Yes, you're absolutely right. The point is still the same, of course: That the Japanese executives never considered streaming as anything more than a novelty a few young people do and never took it seriously until they saw that overseas people are more likely to stream it than buy it on home video. Not sure how big streaming is in Japan though.

Joshua Zarate wrote:
I’ve been reading this thread and the discussions it brought, but this comment that you wrote here has made me want to write something of my own now. For what it’s worth, I would like to say that even with the solid evidence that you provided, I personally think that there will still be some people who won’t become more selective after consuming the medium for a long time. For me, I’m 19 years old as I write this and I’ve been watching anime since March 28, 2013. I initially only watched harem, romance, and ecchi anime because I thought that was all I wanted from the medium. After branching out into other genres for anime, however, I quickly discovered that there’s so many other things it can do and provide me with that nothing else can. 4 years later, I still have plenty of obsession with it and I’m grateful for that. If anything, I grew less selective for anime, not more. Sorry for the long post and I hope that you didn’t mind me airing out my thoughts.

And you are one of the people I mentioned for whom anime is one's "true passion." If you've been watching anime for years and have not grown any more weary or selective of it than when you got started, then that's because it's clicked with you quite a bunch. Most people are not like that though, not even the people posting here. (And there's nothing wrong with either of these--different people are into different things to different extents, and that's all there is to it.)

Me, anime is one of many things I'm interested in. I really don't have the time for them all, nor does every series interest me (and, in fact, most do not), though I am always quite interested in what they're coming out with and what they're about. I grew up in the era of the original Toonami, so I just watched whatever was there. Due to that, and the fact that western animation was and still is one of the things I'm into, I never actually had an insatiable phase for anime. I have had one for a number of other things, so I understand the feeling.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:
The thing that saddens me is that Funimation could have started streaming a decade before (obviously with a much lower quality) since the technology already existed (anyone remembers the realmedia codec?) and they had the right connections, but lacked the vision.

The Anime Network was another missed opportunity, as they were doing streaming well before Funimation, and doing it legally before CR went legit. Their problem was they started out with a limited selection of older titles (only a half dozen when I first came across their site in late 2007 or early 2008), and didn't try their hand at simulcasts until CR had already shown the way.

And was an "a la carte" optional cable channel in some markets, which most providers either didn't carry (remember when channels advertised you to ask your provider to pick it up, and say "I want my MTV!"?), or were now (ahemcomcast) putting on insanely high tiers in order to subscribe, hoping to make more money off the big Premium channels like HBO.

We weren't Cutting the Cable Cord in the late 90's and early 00's, but by the time Viz tried to make Neon Alley first a digital channel and then a PlutoTV-like scheduled streaming service, Instant Netflix had arrived, and the writing was on the wall in favor of Crunchyroll's unscheduled streaming-episode model.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
And you are one of the people I mentioned for whom anime is one's "true passion." If you've been watching anime for years and have not grown any more weary or selective of it than when you got started, then that's because it's clicked with you quite a bunch. Most people are not like that though

Some food for thought. There have been some studies that show that people addicted to nicotine in their teens have a harder time quitting than those who started tobacco later in life. IMO anime is no different. I have read you comments about how you were unable to get any consistent chance to view anime back in high school (and I suppose your college had no anime club or you feared a repeat of your previous experience). In a sense I am a mirror image, by sheer luck I had access anime in my late teens/young adult years but my game ¢on$ole habit$ ended at the coleco vision (second generation game console) and albeit I continued to read about new games in magazines and played at the arcades, I never experienced first hand any of the game franchises that were born in that earlier period and interest in videogames is not the "gotta consume that latest stuff asap" kind of habit.

IMO since nowadays it is easier to see anime streamed to your smartphone or tv than buying a game console and new games every month, I think we are at the start of an era where there will be many new anime fans in the years to come to the extreme that disney/warner will recognize the demographic as valid customers and drop their "cartoon is for pre-teens" stigma.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle

I'm sure there are many ways to become and anime fan. In my case, when I was a teenager there was no anime available in the US that I'm aware of, not even the ones pretending to be US cartoons. I was an adult before I first saw any anime, but I've been a fan of anime and manga for twenty years now.

Concerning the possibility that younger fans may be hooked harder, Zac has said on several occasions that the average fan lasts two years. If that is the average many must last even shorter periods. (how short a period can you be into anime and still claim to have been a fan?) Since anime fandom tends to skew young the short term fans must include a lot of younger people.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:17 pm Reply with quote
@Alan45

No doubt people can become big fans later in life, but I think that as an exception and not a common occurrence.

Quote:
Concerning the possibility that younger fans may be hooked harder, Zac has said on several occasions that the average fan lasts two years.

I would love some hard statistics, but until someone gets some actual numbers I think Zac empirical comment is more in line with how anime consumption was one or two decades ago; where some kids with money bought lots of anime dvds and eventually burnout since they spent too much money in articles with little replay value (at least I rarely see any move or series twice, anime or otherwise). Nowadays you don't have to buy physical (read as "spend hundreds of dollars") just to see if you really like a series (like all products, sometimes a disc cover can be misleading).

At least I read on this board some sporadic comments of people that have return to anime after ten or so years of "absence" which in my opinion talks about that vhs/dvd period.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
At least I read on this board some sporadic comments of people that have return to anime after ten or so years of "absence" which in my opinion talks about that vhs/dvd period.

Ten years ago was 2007, and it was perhaps the height of the digital fansubbing era and well after VHS. It was also in the middle of my favorite period of anime, 2006-2008, which saw a remarkably broad diversity of excellent shows as different as Haruhi, Moribito, Baccano!, and Oh! Edo Rocket. The recession pushed production committees back to making more predictable shows in terms of content and profitability. I can imagine that some of the people watching at that time may have dropped out of the audience after 2008 but might be checking back in today.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

And you are one of the people I mentioned for whom anime is one's "true passion." If you've been watching anime for years and have not grown any more weary or selective of it than when you got started, then that's because it's clicked with you quite a bunch. Most people are not like that though, not even the people posting here. (And there's nothing wrong with either of these--different people are into different things to different extents, and that's all there is to it.)

Me, anime is one of many things I'm interested in. I really don't have the time for them all, nor does every series interest me (and, in fact, most do not), though I am always quite interested in what they're coming out with and what they're about. I grew up in the era of the original Toonami, so I just watched whatever was there. Due to that, and the fact that western animation was and still is one of the things I'm into, I never actually had an insatiable phase for anime. I have had one for a number of other things, so I understand the feeling.

Shit, anime clicked with me decades ago and I still am selective lol. It's a true hobby and not just a trend or passing fancy for me. However, much like you anime is only ONE of my interests and hobbies. I too do not have time for every anime that might interest me. Nor do all anime interest me to begin with. Which is also part of why I feel anime is consumer friendly and accessible. I can sign up to basically 2 services a month for the cost of 1 normal 12 episode BR release and have more anime to watch than I have time to watch it in.

I think most people fall more into this first category than the I want to inundate myself with it and pour anime over me with every free second I have category. I also think most people who do fall into that second category are those without jobs, rent, bills, etc. The only way to work a normal 35-40 hour, or more, work week job, pay bills, shop for food, and do the normal day to day life activities and still watch all the anime you want is to do NOTHING else but watch anime in your free time. Work, pay bills, eat, sleep, anime, and nothing else basically. Even given your earlier point of anime being more easily accessible now than in the past, and fueling the entitlement mentality many show, I still think many expect too much. I think many are too ungrateful or appreciative for how accessible and consumer friendly anime is now. Is it changing and a bit less accessible and consumer friendly in the past 12-24 months? Sure. It's still more accessible and consumer friendly now than ever before and has been for many years now. You can still watch majority of simulcasts each season with just 1 or 2 streaming services. For home releases you have sales constantly at online stores and our prices, for the majority, are leagues below what Japanese fans pay. I think the biggest caveat to this is obviously anime is not nearly as consumer friendly if you do not live in North America, and more specifically the US.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
TheAncientOne wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

And was an "a la carte" optional cable channel in some markets, which most providers either didn't carry (remember when channels advertised you to ask your provider to pick it up, and say "I want my MTV!"?), or were now (ahemcomcast) putting on insanely high tiers in order to subscribe, hoping to make more money off the big Premium channels like HBO.

It still is available as a On Demand channel on many cable systems, including Comcast now. Their online assets were separated from the On Demand network and sold to Hidive. I had been a subscriber of TAN’s and got four months of Hidive free when my subscription was transferred over. Comcast, ATT, and one or two other companies now have an HD feed where several series are uploaded and available in their entirety, as opposed to the regular TAN feed which only has single episodes of series each week.

They definitely missed an opportunity with streaming. Of course, it’s important to note that at that point, ADV was having financial problems and TAN had trouble getting content for its On Demand Network, let alone getting streaming content. I think a big problem was more needing capital for content and infrastructure, rather than lacking vision.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9