• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
UQ Holder and the Troubled History of Negima

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
jr240483 wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:

Besides, who could possibly forget Greg Ayres' attempt at a British accent?

and there wasnt a problem with that. wasnt there?

My problem with it is that he didn't try to do a Welsh accent. Negi lives in Wales, Wales has a long tradition of magicians, and it's a nice, distinctive accent, but he goes for some generic English accent instead. Negi will always have a Welsh accent in my head when I read the manga!

From what I heard Chris Cason say, he originally was going to have one, but it was so thick that they could barely understand him. Hence he did an English one.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Showsni wrote:
My problem with it is that he didn't try to do a Welsh accent. Negi lives in Wales, Wales has a long tradition of magicians, and it's a nice, distinctive accent, but he goes for some generic English accent instead. Negi will always have a Welsh accent in my head when I read the manga!

I remember hearing that they did test out a Welsh accent but decided against it because they didn't think people could understand it or something like that. This was years before a US network picked up Torchwood of course. One think you can say in their defence is that he grew up in two places, and I don't recall the manga making it clear whether both were in Wales and there was some mention of him being Oxford educated or something. I know someone born and raised in Wales who went to either Oxford or Cambridge and the accent stuck.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote
dark13 wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
dark13 wrote:
Xebec should feel ashamed for even trying to make a 52 episode anime.

Uhhh...

anime#2259
Why are you implying NT Warrior was good ?

I wasn't, I was just demonstrating that Xebec actually produced something 52+ episodes long. What, should I have used Zoids as an example instead? Razz
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I wish the OVAs and movie got licensed, especially now since they have a wider release. If Sentai's gonna start getting Negima related things they could go for that, but I'd miss the old dub cast.
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:16 am Reply with quote
Out of all the adaptations thus far, I definitely like Negima!? the best. It was the most cohesive and the art style was great. Of course, as an adaptation, it fails, but at least the characters were all given a chance to shine. That Happy Material cameo in the middle is still one of my favorite scenes in anime.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I just hope the manga get's boost in sales it needs to survive.

There been a lot speculation else where that manga sales may lead to it being possibly cancelled. Anime is suppose to bring in more people into the readership of the manga.
fanime99

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Yes, I know this is an old topic, but I just picked up the new Sendai box holding all the episodes of Negima! And all 26 episodes of Negima!? And two OVAs. All on Blu-ray.

So if you weren’t confused enough by having two different versions of the storyline, now you can be confused by them in the one box.

Personally, I found the first version nicer (possibly because I got really tired of the chupacabra stuff).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3