• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Basilisk Sequel Anime's Cast, Staff, January Premiere Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:31 am Reply with quote
Why does this need a sequel? Doesn't that pretty much ruin the message of the original story?
donhumberto

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:43 am Reply with quote
Well, that's more like it. I really liked the first series and I was a bit worried when they put the first visual of this project because it looked too clean and generic for this kind of series but the new visual is much more similar to the first series so definitely interested in this now.
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:49 am Reply with quote
I never thought they would make another season of this. I got bored and stopped about halfway through the first one but maybe I'll like the sequel better.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
If there's one thing I don't like, it's tragic romance anime. Basilisk was one of the first anime I watched where spoiler[the love interests die] and this sequel looks like it might go down that same route. A hard pass on this one. Confused
WANNFH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:52 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Why does this need a sequel? Doesn't that pretty much ruin the message of the original story?

Money. And yeah, because it have the sequel novels.
0nsen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
So they make a sequel about two ninja clans fighting each other, where in the first one, everyone already died. What.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
While I would say that 2018 is looking like a good year for follow-ups to series I'm excited about, I can't say that applies here.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Basilisk was one of the first anime I watched where spoiler[the love interests die] and this sequel looks like it might go down that same route. A hard pass on this one. Confused

FWIW, I can't think of a series about ninja (real-ish ninja; not Naruto) where the spoiler[love interest *doesn't* end up getting killed. Anyone who gives the protagonist shelter or medical assistance is usually toast as well.]
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Exclamation Futaro Yamada (pen name of Seiya Yamada) wrote the novel, The Kouga Ninja Scrolls
Exclamation Masaki Segawa wrote the manga, Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls
Exclamation Masaki Yamada wrote this new manga, Ōka Ninja Scrolls Basilisk New Chapter
Exclamation There's another Masaki Yamada, who did the character designs for Deadman Wonderland

Too much of a coincidence to not be a Kouga trick. I say the time for action is now, my fellow Iga!
Slashman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
At the end of Basilisk I just kept thinking: "Why have they not killed the friggin' shogun and Hanzo both to save themselves all that bloodshed and torment?"
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:53 pm Reply with quote
well, even some of the staff returned, not so impressed tho. No gonzo no hype. I just hope for badass fights scenes to be animated, that's all.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:05 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

Because maybe the author's estate gave permission for this. Otherwise, a legal sequel couldn't really be made in Japan until 70 years after the last surviving creator's death (copyright duration).
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
My goodness. These characters just look ugly and are a poor man's version of the original cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1