• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO -Vanishing Line-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
His three-sizes too small tuxedo was a consistently hilarious visual gag though, so that counts for something.

I guess they didn't have any suits in XXMacho Very Happy
Peebs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Me when Lady Viola transformed into a horror: oh, they went with vagina dentata and floppiest boobs to grace an anime. Maybe they're running out of good monster designs.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

Quote:
A larger concern is Sword continuing to feel like an afterthought in his own show.

That's because there's too much attention on either Gina or Sophie. The show should've just made one of them the main lead, but it's been a while since we had a tall, muscular guy as a lead.

I thought Sophie was the co-lead? I like her and Gina together so much I was kind of hoping Gina would take Sophie on as an apprentice. Tall muscular guys get all the Hollywood movies! Wink

I did not like the near-rape scene, though. Poor Sword!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
Me when Lady Viola transformed into a horror: oh, they went with vagina dentata and floppiest boobs to grace an anime. Maybe they're running out of good monster designs.

Are you kidding? Lady Viola *was* a horror to most men. I thought her human design was very effective and conveying horror.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:
Quote:
A larger concern is Sword continuing to feel like an afterthought in his own show.

That's because there's too much attention on either Gina or Sophie. The show should've just made one of them the main lead, but it's been a while since we had a tall, muscular guy as a lead.

I thought Sophie was the co-lead? I like her and Gina together so much I was kind of hoping Gina would take Sophie on as an apprentice. Tall muscular guys get all the Hollywood movies! Wink

I did not like the near-rape scene, though. Poor Sword!

Tall, muscular guys need to make a comeback in anime. As leads! Anime exclamation
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
One thing I found interesting in the current episode was how in Luke's training memory, his father tells Luke he needs to be stronger in order to spoiler[wear the armor]. Since Luke is spoiler[not a knight], it seems something happened along the way. Combine that with what Sword said about what happened to Luke's mom, I can see how he turned out the way he did, emotionally.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 6 was excellent, A+ material to me. We learned more about Sword's living situation (very curious about Bei Fong. A former Knight or Alchemist in retirement, perhaps?), the relationship between Sword and Sophie developed exponentially (does Sophie ever go to school?), and we got lots of info on Luke--his (unhealthy) philosophies regarding the work and lack of social life, his background, his childhood trauma. It was all very well written and flowed well. Only Gina was missing, but I'm sure she'll have more episodes to show off how cool she is.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:10 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Episode 6 was excellent, A+ material to me. We learned more about Sword's living situation (very curious about Bei Fong. A former Knight or Alchemist in retirement, perhaps?), the relationship between Sword and Sophie developed exponentially (does Sophie ever go to school?), and we got lots of info on Luke--his (unhealthy) philosophies regarding the work and lack of social life, his background, his childhood trauma. It was all very well written and flowed well. Only Gina was missing, but I'm sure she'll have more episodes to show off how cool she is.

oh, she'll be back. she is more or less to vanishing line for what emma was for the first series and what seimei was for crimson moon.

the only thing that worries me is that they do so sophie what they did to that girl in the first series that was meant to be leon's love interest. that would seriously put some people in the peeve category. myself included.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
James Beckett wrote:
The brevity of action is somewhat inherent to Garo's traditional formula

Considering the pretty short 99.9 second time limit on the armor, well yeah.

James Beckett wrote:
On the other hand, Gina, Sword, and Luke are maybe a little too good at their jobs.

If there's any part of this that's fully inherent to Garo's traditional formula, it's this. After all, Garo is the title of the greatest of all Makai Knights. The defeat of anything short of "the final boss's top general" level should be an inevitability for him (or anyone skilled enough to ever be assigned a mission involving working together with him).
Standard horrors are a typical horror movie threat to normal civilians, but they still are acting in such a way as to hide from Makai Knights. Because they are people whose entire purpose is to hunt them, making the horrors the prey. Garo is essentially the most elite individual hunter in the species already at the top of the food chain.
To put it another way, this is the first anime based on Garo to actually represent that part of the franchise right.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least Sister got a heroic sendoff. Seems like Luke could've shot a little sooner though and maybe saved her. What was he waiting for?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
he may not have gotten into position in time. He travels around by jumping, right? That's gotta be slower than a motorcycle powered by wherever Zaruba is
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
Sorry to see Karate Nun go. At least she got to show off her skills!

Anyone else think the evil white haired guy is Luke's dad?
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:16 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Well, at least Sister got a heroic sendoff. Seems like Luke could've shot a little sooner though and maybe saved her. What was he waiting for?

Luke isn't a knight. He was probably waiting for Sword to show up. If he hadn't, I doubt he could handle the Dark Knight guy by himself.

OTOH, we don't know how long he'd been on the roof. He may be introverted and stuck-up, but I can't see him allowing Karate Nun to die if he could've prevented it.

A shame what happened to Karate Nun. But now there's no doubt that Dark Knight is... uh... pretty dark on the moral plane.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:51 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Anyone else think the evil white haired guy is Luke's dad?

If he's not, he's his identical evil twin.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love how the action gets less beautiful when they power up. The Garo series, man, what can I say?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8