• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO -Vanishing Line-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Anyone else think the evil white haired guy is Luke's dad?

If he's not, he's his identical evil twin.

Ep8: The weird thing is that he didn't recognize Luke right away, and didn't mention anything about being his father when he did (unless I missed it), so my current theory is that Luke's dad, formerly the Silver Knight, was completely possessed by an evil entity and turned into the Dark Knight. He might have been willingly possessed, but he is not the same person he was.

I liked the way the episode teamed up Meifang to protect a very realistically traumatized Sophie--the scene added to both their characters and their dynamic together.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
So what exactly is Sophie's connection to El Dorado's king? Don't tell me that king is actually her missing brother?! It would certainly fit the "dysfunctional family" theme...

Speaking of which, poor Luke, i knew he was doomed as soon as he lost his cool. But that sure was some fine action there. Same goes for the Dark Knight/Sword battle.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Don't tell me that king is actually her missing brother?!

That's what I've been thinking since he first said he'd been looking for her (although why he had any trouble finding her at all, I don't know) because the King summoned her. If her brother's not the King, then they must have some family trait he needs for whatever.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rie Kuimiya pulls off one of her best performances yet, perfectly selling Sophie's understandable distress. She accomplishes the rare feat of playing a teenage girl who actually sounds and behaves like a real kid, and not a twenty-something masquerading around in a high-school uniform. Neither this episode nor GARO -VANISHING LINE- as a whole would work as well if Sophie fell flat as a protagonist, but thankfully Kumiya and the rest of the team consistently put in the work to make sure that doesn't happen.

Looks like you progressively missing letters in Rie Kugimiya
's name

Edit: added a link and further emphasis.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
#874695 wrote:
I think Sword just likes Sexy women

Yup lol.
I feel like Space Dandy would make that gesture too lol.

Agent355 wrote:
Ep 3: That was a really good cheesy 80's action movie! Love Gina! Perfect femme fatale/super agent combo with great acting skills to boot. Sword's gonna be taken by a ride by ladies the whole series, huh? (probably has his whole life, actually.) That's not a bad thing, necessarily. And he's very good natured about it.

Yeah they totally nailed it, great stuff.

Agent355 wrote:
Episode 6 was excellent, A+ material to me. We learned more about Sword's living situation (very curious about Bei Fong. A former Knight or Alchemist in retirement, perhaps?), the relationship between Sword and Sophie developed exponentially (does Sophie ever go to school?), and we got lots of info on Luke--his (unhealthy) philosophies regarding the work and lack of social life, his background, his childhood trauma. It was all very well written and flowed well. Only Gina was missing, but I'm sure she'll have more episodes to show off how cool she is.

Was so good!

Also, the main soundtrack for this show is fantastic. I love so many of the tracks and a lot of it is also very catchy.

As a side note JAM Project, as usual, did a great job on another hype-inducing OP. The song also kind of slightly reminds me a little of the old Heat Guy J's, though some of that is likely due to type of song combined with the motorcycle hehe.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
Anyone else think the evil white haired guy is Luke's dad?

If he's not, he's his identical evil twin.

Ep8: The weird thing is that he didn't recognize Luke right away, and didn't mention anything about being his father when he did (unless I missed it), so my current theory is that Luke's dad, formerly the Silver Knight, was completely possessed by an evil entity and turned into the Dark Knight. He might have been willingly possessed, but he is not the same person he was.

I liked the way the episode teamed up Meifang to protect a very realistically traumatized Sophie--the scene added to both their characters and their dynamic together.

i had a feeling that he was a "fallen one". its was more or less similar to the first garo since that was the only other series where a makai knight went to the dark side. at least they didn't had that in crimson moon.

however what i really hope is that they don't do like the first garo and have sophie as the sacrificial lamb for the sake of character development for sword! that would seriously piss a lot of people off!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Man, that was one slow-ass balloon...

This was a pretty good episode, but the girl-in-a-wheelchair scene was so blatantly manipulative and corny it was off-putting. I don't know, it was like her facial expression was so tone-deaf to her surroundings I felt like she must've suffered brain damage or something.

One the complete opposite side, I loved Meifang's no-nonsense "Don't think you can ignore people if you look sad." She was great.
Argentsky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
That was a great episode. Luke had a really cool and kickass mom. I really enjoyed how so much was conveyed despite how little dialogue there were. So many shows cannot even cover the amount character development in an entire season, let alone one episode.

From the previews I thought Luke was going to pick up his old sword and become a knight again and I'm glad he didn't. I also like how they essentially answered the question of why he gave up his knight training and took up the role of a Makai Alchemist instead.

And like others before, I also thought maybe the Dark Knight had forgotten about Luke due to being possessed by a horror so so long, but judging from ep. 9, I'm rethinking this line of thought. Considering he killed his wife because he felt she was an impediment/distraction/weakness while leaving Luke entirely alone tells me he never cared for Luke period. At least he had enough residual feelings or what not for his wife (however little they may be) to kill her, but Luke was not even worth a spare thought to end. In the Garo universe, alchemists are often perceived as secondary to Knights or only as the support, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Dark Knight was one of those people. Which is why I will be doubly satisfied if Luke is the one who defeats his father later.

Overall this is the strongest Garo anime series for me (so far). If the writing and pacing keeps up, it'll likely be my favourite. I loved Garo: The Animation, but I think Vanishing line is doing a better job fleshing out all the main characters, and giving each their limelight without taking away from others. And... there's still tons of room for development, which is exciting.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:39 am Reply with quote
I am not at all shocked Luke's episode turned out good, I was expecting it to be. Luke has been an understated but excellent character since episode 1, and this episode fully fleshed him out--we saw his full background flashback (including how badass his mom was, and how traumatic her death), his relationship with Meifong and the other characters from the restaurant (Meifong remember's Luke's mother, so they've must have known one another since childhood) and how he helps others while injured and held back in the city. It was a great episode.

I also caught the 9/11 references and really appreciate the diversity of the setting. It's strange that Meifong is heavily accented while her grandfather (?) is not. Is that a remnant of characters like Shampoo from Ranma (the idea that Chinese girls are funnier with accents) sort of thing?
Also, it's interesting that Adelaid was Native American, and that we hear her call her husband "Christopher Harden", but we have never heard Luke referred to with a last name. That could be because none of the characters in this show seems to have a family name, but I hope there's some reveal in a future episode that Luke goes by his mother's Native last name.
Luke's casual clothes are cowboy themed and this show has a lot of cowboy movie atmosphere and tone (all the action is moving to a very American-like West, for example, which characters have commented is "lawless"). Making Luke a Native American Cowboy hero is simply awesome.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Sigh. The breast in this anime are distracting and annoying and I wish there weren't so many damn characters with overly large breast. They're not needed! Mad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
When the Horror made his appearance I had to pause for a minute until I could stop laughing my ass off. They weren't satisfied with just giving him huge nipples pierced with handcuffs, oh no, they made them freakin' coat racks where Alfil could hang his cuffs up while he was busy killing people with his elephant-head arm. Next to all that, his vagina dentata face seemed phoned in. Still, kudos to whoever came up with all that wtf-ery.
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Fun episode. Just one thing though.

Quote:
Sword takes out the transformed Alfil with predictable ease, and though the team's encounter with the conniving Rook ends with San Dell Dios being destroyed, Gina made sure to keep the citizens safe so they can at least rebuild.

Are you talking about the guy who teleported out of the ground? Because he called himself Bishop.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 10:51 am Reply with quote
I wanted to watch this anime but then I looked at the rating of the second ("Moon") season. It is so bad that I would not be able to survive that. And since I am a "completist", I can not skip "bad" parts of a whole thing, so me watching the first "Animation" season would also mean I would have to force myself to watch the second season to get to something better like this better "Vanishing" season.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:11 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
I wanted to watch this anime but then I looked at the rating of the second ("Moon") season. It is so bad that I would not be able to survive that. And since I am a "completist", I can not skip "bad" parts of a whole thing, so me watching the first "Animation" season would also mean I would have to force myself to watch the second season to get to something better like this better "Vanishing" season.

Crimson Moon isn’t really the bad parts of the whole Garo series. It’s just a weak entry of several separate entries that only share certain universe elements, such as the horrors and Makai Knights and Alchemists. There are no other connections between the entries. You certainly don’t have to have seen the original live-action entries of the series to have enjoyed the first anime or the current one, so I wouldn’t worry about skipping Crimson Moon. You aren’t missing anything.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The town around them is as dark as pitch

What town? There is no town, they're out in the middle of nowhere. The motel is the only structure as far as the eye can see.

The Psycho shout-outs were nice, but when the mom couldn't manage to climb the stairs even before she was grabbed by the ankle, I just had to roll my eyes. It's not like she was hurt or exhausted at that point.

@ Max: just think of each of the Garos as separate series. Aside from the lore, they really have nothing to do with each other. If you can bring yourself to skip the live-action installments, choosing not to watch one or two of the animated stories should feel about the same. But if you can't, Moon wasn't that bad.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8