• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO -Vanishing Line-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:08 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

The Psycho shout-outs were nice, but when the mom couldn't manage to climb the stairs even before she was grabbed by the ankle, I just had to roll my eyes. It's not like she was hurt or exhausted at that point.

Frozen with fear, maybe?

But yeah, the Psycho references were pretty nice.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:21 am Reply with quote
See, now frozen I could understand. But she wasn't frozen, she was moving, trying desperately to escape, by labooooriously craaaaawling up the steps. I mean, once your body decides it's going to move in such a terrifying situation, it moves, to the best of its ability, fueled by adrenaline. Since she wasn't injured or fresh from a marathon run, she should've been bloody sprinting up those stairs. Very Happy

And allowing her to do that wouldn't mean she'd escape - the slime tentacles would just need to whip out faster and still grab her. No, they just chose to go with the tired old trope that women can't run without tripping over something and falling down. A hairline crack in the concrete is enough to topple a fleeing female.
MF65

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
See, now frozen I could understand. But she wasn't frozen, she was moving, trying desperately to escape, by labooooriously craaaaawling up the steps. I mean, once your body decides it's going to move in such a terrifying situation, it moves, to the best of its ability, fueled by adrenaline. Since she wasn't injured or fresh from a marathon run, she should've been bloody sprinting up those stairs. Very Happy

And allowing her to do that wouldn't mean she'd escape - the slime tentacles would just need to whip out faster and still grab her. No, they just chose to go with the tired old trope that women can't run without tripping over something and falling down. A hairline crack in the concrete is enough to topple a fleeing female.

I would like to see you sprinting up the stairs when your entire body is shaking in fear Wink the poor lady just saw her husband being swallowed by a living body of water, it would be unrealistic for her to keep her composure. Please, let's not turn every little thing into sexist "women are weak" drama. Especially not in a show that that has Gina and Sophie as protagonists.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Fight or Flight. It's a *human* reaction, not one limited to women. Once she started to flee, she should've been going at full speed. I could see her running into something in her haste to get the heck out of Dodge, but not the slow-mo ascent up the stairs. I thought it was stupid and lame at the time, and didn't attribute it to a woman-only thing.

It was a decent episode, though I'd like to see a bit more plot development to go with the character development. OTOH, I'm not sure if this show has made clear that the Makai are specifically there to eliminate Horrors, not to so much to help humans (though Alfonso, in particular, did both in The Animation).

I should also point out that at the point at which the guy started beating on his wife, he was *already* effectively a murderer and collaborating with a Horror, so the life that the wife and kid were hoping for (the three of them together) was doomed. Also, *why* would someone buy a motel in the middle of nowhere, especially if you were already in bad financial shape? That's not the sort of financial risk a married couple with a kid is supposed to take.

And lastly, this whole "without the government, people are useless and can't do anything for themselves" thing is annoying and not necessarily true. If you live your life dependent upon the government, then I can see how that might happen, but huge chunks of what are now the US of A went with little or no government for many years, and the further west you went, the more recent the time was when they didn't have that. This might be hard for Japanese people, who have been firmly under a government for many centuries, to understand, but it's still true. That being said, if you grew up dependent on one, then I can see how they'd be at a loss once it went away.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:59 pm Reply with quote
MF65 wrote:
I would like to see you sprinting up the stairs when your entire body is shaking in fear Wink the poor lady just saw her husband being swallowed by a living body of water, it would be unrealistic for her to keep her composure. Please, let's not turn every little thing into sexist "women are weak" drama. Especially not in a show that that has Gina and Sophie as protagonists.

Again, freezing would be perfectly understandable, but her slow as molasses crawl is not. I did not expect her to keep her composure, but to simply pick among normal reactions of fight, flight or freeze. And yes, I've been in mortal danger and done both initial freeze and then full sprint flight. Once your body has committed to flight, adrenaline practically gives you super-powers.

I'm not the one who created the trope of fleeing women falling down, and I'm not the one who keeps using it in dramas. But it is a thing, whether you've noticed it or not. Even the Bionic Woman was not immune, and she could leap tall buildings in a single bound. Smile
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Alright, it just feels wrong having a non-JAM Project theme on a Garo series. Especially when you've seen 8 full Garo-titled TV series before this one, and, until now, never heard anything remotely like this style coming out of the opening credits attached to any of them (even the spinoffs would never dare to take things this far). There are some things in life that give you comfort with their constancy, and I've just lost one of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:03 am Reply with quote
I was waiting for Gina to get a childhood flashback, but we really didn't learn that much about her--she has a lot of cash on hand, she's good at fighting horrors, she grew up in an orphanage and spent a lot of time in that weird tent city in the past (everyone seems to know her there). That's about it. I was hoping they'd develop her character more. Oh, well. Next week Luke's back! Hopefully, he'll join up with the rest of the crew.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I was waiting for Gina to get a childhood flashback, but we really didn't learn that much about her--she has a lot of cash on hand, she's good at fighting horrors, she grew up in an orphanage and spent a lot of time in that weird tent city in the past (everyone seems to know her there). That's about it. I was hoping they'd develop her character more. Oh, well. Next week Luke's back! Hopefully, he'll join up with the rest of the crew.

though it definitely had the feeling that she have an even more screwed up childhood than luke considering on how much she despises horrors.

though what i want to know is when their going to do more on sword's background since its more or less clear that his constant MO on praying to every woman who have big boobs have to do something about his sister who like sophie's brother, is also a victim of el dorado.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:19 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
since its more or less clear that his constant MO on praying to every woman who have big boobs have to do something about his sister

I guess "less clear" to me? What are you basing this on? I thought he just worshiped big boobs.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Gonna have to disagree with the episode 14 rating. More like b to b+ for me. Yeah nothing really progressed in this epusode, just a side horror but I mean this is garo. It does this for like 2 episodes then progresses the story. Plus, call me an edgelord, but I like lukes new haircut.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't this town mentioned in last week's episode? Because of that, I expect this to tie into the main storyline somehow, since the elder also told Luke it was a shortcut. Anyway, I liked it.

My only quibble is that apparently the Makai alchemists and knights were only able to seal him up way back when, but now Luke seemed able to take him out permanently, with the help of their ghosts. Was this a "strike us down and we will become more powerful than you can imagine" thing?

854626 wrote:
Gonna have to disagree with the episode 14 rating. [B-] More like b to b+ for me.

That hardly seems like enough to bother mentioning. It's not like rating is an exact science and your own ratings quibble with yourself by the same margin. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:53 pm Reply with quote
At first I was bummed out when it was obvious this was going to be a side story but I end up really liking it. Glasses Occult Girl was adorable. My heart was in my mouth during the climatic scene because I was terrified she'd get hurt or even killed. Kind of a shame she has no memory of her encounter with Luke, but I guess dem's the rules.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
At first I was bummed out when it was obvious this was going to be a side story but I end up really liking it. Glasses Occult Girl was adorable. My heart was in my mouth during the climatic scene because I was terrified she'd get hurt or even killed. Kind of a shame she has no memory of her encounter with Luke, but I guess dem's the rules.

way too anticlimactic that they do that. wouldn't be surprised at all if at some point its considered as a side story OVA. but since its ep 14 and not in the final ep like with the other two series, its highly unlikely.

Quote:
The fact that Stella and her grandfather have their memories wiped at the end of the episode makes the preceding events feel even more superfluous, since it means that they will likely not have much impact on future events. The end result is a story where Luke restates something he already learned weeks ago. This doesn't make Luke's time with Stella any less fun or entertaining, but it does make the whole affair feel too slight.

more like insignificant if you ask me. was kinda hoping she would be to luke like what that girl meant to leon in ep 14 of the first garo series. par for the course i guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:19 pm Reply with quote
After not spending any time at all with the gang last week, this episode was a delight through and through, and really reinforced for me that the reason I like this show is because of its characters. Last week was the weakest the show has yet been, because quite frankly the lore and central plot of Garo is actually pretty darn generic and uninspired, with the characters doing almost all the heavy lifting as far as appeal goes. As a result, this episode was great, perhaps even more so due to the contrast from last time.

In any case, the setting and atmosphere consistently impresses me with how much it's able to capture the specific feel of "Americana", which very few other anime even attempt, let alone achieve at any level. Sword punching the bullet was definitely the best moment, and aesthetically I really liked both the candle-lit, heavily-shaded look of his conversation with Pedro, and the first part of Sword's flashback, when he fought the monsters.

One thing I'm confused about, though, is who exactly died in Sword's past. He said in a past episode that his little brother died, and then this episode they said his little sister died, and then we saw two girls, one a teenager, and one much younger. He was standing with the younger girl in front of a gravestone with the name "Edward" on it. So, who died? Both his younger brother and younger sister? Who was that other girl? I'm not sure if this was supposed to be as confusing as it is; maybe so, but I'm unclear. Then again, the flashback seems to have been told achronologically, so they might be intentionally obfuscating it.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
In any case, the setting and atmosphere consistently impresses me with how much it's able to capture the specific feel of "Americana", which very few other anime even attempt, let alone achieve at any level. Sword punching the bullet was definitely the best moment, and aesthetically I really liked both the candle-lit, heavily-shaded look of his conversation with Pedro, and the first part of Sword's flashback, when he fought the monsters.

Where exactly did you get a feeling of "Americana" from this episode? Nothing about this coastal town resembled anything in the US, let alone the language on the buildings and what not... the hotel episode was probably one of the more Americana episodes, but the ones following don't quite fit the bill for the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8