• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO -Vanishing Line-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
In any case, the setting and atmosphere consistently impresses me with how much it's able to capture the specific feel of "Americana", which very few other anime even attempt, let alone achieve at any level. Sword punching the bullet was definitely the best moment, and aesthetically I really liked both the candle-lit, heavily-shaded look of his conversation with Pedro, and the first part of Sword's flashback, when he fought the monsters.

Where exactly did you get a feeling of "Americana" from this episode? Nothing about this coastal town resembled anything in the US, let alone the language on the buildings and what not... the hotel episode was probably one of the more Americana episodes, but the ones following don't quite fit the bill for the US.

It was perhaps not so strong in this episode, but in general the show's settings and locales feel like places I've been to in the US. This episode did feel decidedly more Mediterranean, but it also kind of felt like a coastal town in southern Texas, or perhaps in the Caribbean.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 am Reply with quote
Maybe "Americas" is more apt, the setting this week could work as a fantasy central American village for me. It's Garo, I try not to think too hard about the setting.

This week's gag with the eye tracking was hilarious, usually they'd do that gag in 2 seconds but here they committed to it and really extended the timing to sell the joke and it cracked me up.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:40 am Reply with quote
Deacon Blues wrote:
Where exactly did you get a feeling of "Americana" from this episode? Nothing about this coastal town resembled anything in the US, let alone the language on the buildings and what not... the hotel episode was probably one of the more Americana episodes, but the ones following don't quite fit the bill for the US.

El Pinacate y Gran Desierto de Altar Biosphere Reserve is just south of the Arizona border and extends to the Gulf of California. That's the closest place to see those kinds of sand dunes next to the ocean. Close enough in my book. Smile

Oh, Gina, Gina, Gina, who is buying your bras? That one was just hideous. The last thing you want is a bra that makes your boobs look like a pair of lumpy butts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:17 pm Reply with quote
While I do enjoy the Garo franchise one of my complaints is that it has many one-off episodes (like last weeks) or a monster (horror) of the week that don't actually contribute to the overall plot. That or they encounter a key bad guy who just slips away at the last minute with a "I'll get you next time, Gadget" line or something. This week's ep would have felt that way if it hadn't been for Zaruba's death, which made me more emotional than it should considering that he hasn't really had a huge role aside from providing comments from the sidelines in most episodes. I hope they do get to El Dorado soon though so we can get down to some final confrontations.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Zaruba, noooooo! Sad

But that sure was some nicely animated action and i really dig Luke's new look!
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 am Reply with quote
You can kill the people a man is sworn to protect. You can kill a man's little sister.

But when you kill a man's hog? That's when it gets personal.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:33 pm Reply with quote
So good!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 am Reply with quote
I know that we probably have to have a showdown between Sword and the Dark Knight, but given who the latter is, I'd find it much more satisfying if it could be Luke that somehow finally signs him off. Maybe Sword will be too busy with King or something. A girl can hope.

Now I want to see Gina vs Mad Max. Wink
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I could see either possibility.

Speaking of Luke, just wanted to add, it's really cool hearing Erica Mendez in this as young Luke. It was a pleasant surprise hearing her show up in this Funi dub back starting at the first flashback.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:31 am Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:
Yeah, I could see either possibility.

Speaking of Luke, just wanted to add, it's really cool hearing Erica Mendez in this as young Luke. It was a pleasant surprise hearing her show up in this Funi dub back starting at the first flashback.

which is even more strange that they got her in that role considering she is supposed to be a union VA like sword's VA. Shocked Confused funi had to fork off a lot of dough to both her and her union for this to happen let alone not having her to use an alias.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:38 am Reply with quote
Haven't posted in a month, but I've been watching. There wasn't much to say about most of the filler-esque episodes, especially the one in which Luke erased the girl's memories at the end, anyway (that's gotta be up there with "and it was all a dream" as a frustrating, lazy writing trick to turn everything back to status quo). Or the one where one villain we didn't know or care about fought against the main villain henchmen. I kind of liked the one in the seaside mafia town, tho.

But back to main plot! Glad Luke has joined our main group and is proving particularly useful, but where did Gina go? Was it really just to get supplies? When the Queen taunted Sword and Luke by saying "what will you do [when the ones you protect] betray you?" a thought crossed my mind that she *might* be talking about Gina. Hopefully, she was just referring to Stanley in disguise, who they had just "saved" from her plant monsters. Gina was most likely taken out of the action so that they have one character to come back and save the other heroes from The Matrix, just in time to reveal that Martin is King...

Did anyone else notice that the elevator screen said Stanley was taking Sopie to "The chamber of secrets"? I'm disappointed this episode's title *wasn't* "Sophie Hennes and The Chamber of Secrets" Razz
CaitlinGlass

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
One thing I'm confused about, though, is who exactly died in Sword's past. He said in a past episode that his little brother died, and then this episode they said his little sister died, and then we saw two girls, one a teenager, and one much younger. He was standing with the younger girl in front of a gravestone with the name "Edward" on it. So, who died? Both his younger brother and younger sister? Who was that other girl? I'm not sure if this was supposed to be as confusing as it is; maybe so, but I'm unclear. Then again, the flashback seems to have been told achronologically, so they might be intentionally obfuscating it.

ADR director of the dub here! I can help, even if you watched the sub Smile So back when Sophie first saw the drawing in Sword's room and he mentioned a sibling, there was a typo in translation, leading the script adapter and myself to believe the sibling was male. A couple episodes later we see a flashback of the school and a female voice saying "brother!" but women play boys all the time in anime, so I didn't think much of it. Age of "the sibling" hadn't been revealed yet. Then I got the script and the character saying "brother!" is listed as LIZZY. So. Definitely a sister! We realized the typo and went back and fixed the line in episode 6. The confusing flashbacks in ep 16 show Sword with teen Lizzy, and then a flashback to earlier in their lives at the grave of their father Edward. Guess mom isn't around.

Make sense?! Thanks for watching!

-Caitlin
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...but it certainly wasn't revealing him to be a normal-sized head attached to a baby-sized body

You thought his head was normal-sized? Shocked Razz

When Luke and Sword glanced at each other after Stanley-in-disguise told them everyone ran thataway, I figured they were already on to him. I was disappointed when it turned out that they weren't.

Agent355 wrote:
...a thought crossed my mind that she *might* be talking about Gina.

Nah. But I am waiting with bated breath to see just what sort of "supplies" Gina hauls back with her. I'm expecting Makai-brand rocket launchers and tactical nukes. Very Happy
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Could have literally cut out half the episodes and still had a sensible plot. Just way too much time spent over a story that is not that complex. The entire plot is pretty much figured out the moment you see any of Sophie's backstory.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:46 am Reply with quote
CaitlinGlass wrote:
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
One thing I'm confused about, though, is who exactly died in Sword's past. He said in a past episode that his little brother died, and then this episode they said his little sister died, and then we saw two girls, one a teenager, and one much younger. He was standing with the younger girl in front of a gravestone with the name "Edward" on it. So, who died? Both his younger brother and younger sister? Who was that other girl? I'm not sure if this was supposed to be as confusing as it is; maybe so, but I'm unclear. Then again, the flashback seems to have been told achronologically, so they might be intentionally obfuscating it.

ADR director of the dub here! I can help, even if you watched the sub Smile So back when Sophie first saw the drawing in Sword's room and he mentioned a sibling, there was a typo in translation, leading the script adapter and myself to believe the sibling was male. A couple episodes later we see a flashback of the school and a female voice saying "brother!" but women play boys all the time in anime, so I didn't think much of it. Age of "the sibling" hadn't been revealed yet. Then I got the script and the character saying "brother!" is listed as LIZZY. So. Definitely a sister! We realized the typo and went back and fixed the line in episode 6. The confusing flashbacks in ep 16 show Sword with teen Lizzy, and then a flashback to earlier in their lives at the grave of their father Edward. Guess mom isn't around.

Make sense?! Thanks for watching!

-Caitlin

not exactly. though i kinda guessed the whole him having a brother was a typo error when the official japanese GARO website said otherwise.

though yea. the flashbacks from ep is still confusing as hell! (haven't gotten this confused from a flashback event since the days of Serial Experiments Lain & Paranoia Agent!)

even when watching the sub version, the last one clearly showed another girl with sword while in lizzie's grave. my only guess is that she is probably a friend of her's or the only survivor of the fire since neither versions said much.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8