• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Girls' Last Tour

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
The girls stupidly humming the ED just to drive home how hammered they were was a nice touch. Great episode.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
There are even cell phones with their chargers still attached this episode. Really makes you wonder what happened that the city's completely abandoned yet still in such good shape.EDIT: While I'm at it, a good number of people think it looks like Chito gave Yuuri a kiss after tackling her. Thoughts?
I think it's a sure sign that I'm in love with the show that I pick up details like that too. I went back to the scene in question to be sure and agree that Chii kissed Yuu, whether on the lips or nose I can't tell. I notice that there are no windows and nothing in the skylights of the rooms despite the environment looking like it is bitterly cold much of the time. Everything is concrete and generally very utilitarian in architecture. My guess is that everything here is military related somehow. On the topic of details, the girls this Ep are humming the ED from Ep5 (Amadare no Uta/Raindrop Song) and not the "actual" ED.

I so want to find out about this world that I've begun trying to translate the background wording (ultra-simplified Hiragana characters) and the simple dialog is allowing me to pick up more Japanese too.The insert song of Ep6 has been haunting me, it's so beautiful and it seems that the city designation is 76 Toushin-kichi (East China Base #76?). Very interesting if I didn't screw up...

Ep9-While I appreciate the philosophical implications, assuming the caretaker didn't have weaponry and given the choice of killing a sentient or non-sentient being, I'd have voted that Yuu and Chii eat the fish. Also appreciate another chance to see Yuu naked (fanservice?).
Edl01

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Is this show just incapable of having bad episodes? I can't think of an episode of Girl's Last Tour that's disappointed me yet, it is the absolute definition of consistency. Episode 9 was another in a trend of excellent episodes and I'm completely convinced this will be among my favorite series' of the year with only Houseki no Kuni really the only series capable of competing with it.

With how incredible the atmosphere this episode was I finally decided to give the director a look-up, since before the show aired I remember being very unimpressed by it's staff listing. I really hope this is the start of a long career for Takaharu Ozaki; the guy hasn't worked on any other notable series except for Terraformars(?) and more importantly he had a role in the absolutely fantastic Sora no Woto, a series which the best aspects of I absolutely see reflected in Girl's Last Tour. I hope this is just the first of many stellar projects from him.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 was quite fantastic. I was a little surprised at how the show managed to make me care so much about a fish and a robot. This show does such a good job with its themes and presentation that I’m happy to be watching it as it airs and major props to the staff for doing a very consistent job with it. Smile
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Edl01 wrote:
Is this show just incapable of having bad episodes? I can't think of an episode of Girl's Last Tour that's disappointed me yet, it is the absolute definition of consistency. Episode 9 was another in a trend of excellent episodes and I'm completely convinced this will be among my favorite series' of the year with only Houseki no Kuni really the only series capable of competing with it.

I don't think there's been a bad episode from this show per se, but I personally find some episodes far more enjoyable than others. Episode 9 happens to be one of the stronger episodes for me. Unlike you, GLT is not a favourite of mine and Houseki no Kuni currently has the edge over it in my eyes. We'll have to see how the competition goes between them over the next coming weeks as they are both have one-cour seasons.
zrdb

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Great show-really post apocalyptic in scope, a common theme in sci fi novels. This show manages to make it a good adventure while doing a lot of philosophizing along the way. It really reminds me a lot of last season's Made In Abyss in a lot of ways. I can't wait to see how it ends. Cool
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
I am a amazon prime member! Though I have the app the anime strike link in the Amazon App was replaced with viewster link! Now highdiv app appears with a good chunk of sentai film works old catalog! Check amazon online the anime strike is no longer available. The odd part is I could still sign up through the individual shows offered on amazon. After contacting help desk a generic reply was given. Now highdiv has no relationship with sentai film works. I do wonder what it means for Amazon and anime!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:28 pm Reply with quote
If that building had been hit by a nuke, it wouldn't be standing. A regular bomb would be enough to do the amount of damage we saw.

The train ride was unsettling but beautiful. I wonder what they were used for transporting, given that there seemed to be just the one bench on the whole train. Why even one? It felt like a cattle car for the big robots, with a bench for their human overseers. :/

All this still functioning machinery gives me the melancholies, like when I think about the poor little Voyagers all alone at the edges of the solar system, still trying to send home data, even though they're half blind and most of their systems have been shut down. Even if we blow ourselves up in the next few months, which is looking more and more likely, they'll still be waiting to hear from us. Sad
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
All this still functioning machinery gives me the melancholies, like when I think about the poor little Voyagers all alone at the edges of the solar system, still trying to send home data, even though they're half blind and most of their systems have been shut down.

There was a pretty great sci fi novel about them earlier this year!
TD912

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
I am a amazon prime member! Though I have the app the anime strike link in the Amazon App was replaced with viewster link! Now highdiv app appears with a good chunk of sentai film works old catalog! Check amazon online the anime strike is no longer available. The odd part is I could still sign up through the individual shows offered on amazon. After contacting help desk a generic reply was given. Now highdiv has no relationship with sentai film works. I do wonder what it means for Amazon and anime!

Are you in the US? Anime Strike has the rights to a lot of recently Sentai shows while HiDive has the rights outside of North America, I think.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
All this still functioning machinery gives me the melancholies, like when I think about the poor little Voyagers all alone at the edges of the solar system, still trying to send home data, even though they're half blind and most of their systems have been shut down.

There was a pretty great sci fi novel about them earlier this year!

There was actual news from NASA about them quite recently. NASA changed the thrusters they use on Voyager to different ones, since the primary ones are acting flaky. They use the thrusters to maintain Earth orientation so NASA can still stay in communication.
Lightice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:07 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If that building had been hit by a nuke, it wouldn't be standing. A regular bomb would be enough to do the amount of damage we saw.

You overestimate the power of nukes, as people tend to be due to fiction presenting them as annihilators of all matter. In reality, even tanks and battleships can withstand a nuclear blast quite well, as long as they're not right at the ground zero of the explosion -- the crew might not survive due to the blast of hard radiation, but solid structures can withstand the pressure wave just fine.

The reason why Hiroshima and Nagasaki faced as great destruction as they did was because they were built mainly with wood, and the initial explosion started massive firestorms that spread far past the original explosion. High spec steel and concrete buildings are the best bet if you want to find structures likely to survive being nuked, and the structures in this series are so massive that even the insane giant hydrogen bombs that Russia wields, that can purportedly kill off most life in Texas or France with a single shot, would be hard pressed to do more than surface damage to them.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
I am a amazon prime member! Check amazon online the anime strike is no longer available.

First, as was mentioned already, things are different if you live outside the US.

However it's not clear from your posting that you realize Strike is an additional service costing $5/month on top of your Prime membership. It's one of Amazon's "Channels" like STARZ or HBO.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I wonder what they were used for transporting, given that there seemed to be just the one bench on the whole train. Why even one? It felt like a cattle car for the big robots, with a bench for their human overseers.

There were cars with windows which I presumed were used for passengers. Apparently the girls were only in the window-less cars in front of those with windows.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
I am a us citizen prime member aware it’s a add on service. The main page in app no longer exists for me! As explained!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I wonder what they were used for transporting, given that there seemed to be just the one bench on the whole train. Why even one? It felt like a cattle car for the big robots, with a bench for their human overseers.

There were cars with windows which I presumed were used for passengers. Apparently the girls were only in the window-less cars in front of those with windows.

Ok, strike "on the whole train." The rest of my query/comment still stands. Smile Any speculations?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10