• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Code:Realize -Guardian of Rebirth-

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
senbonzakura

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
aquapainter wrote:

Honestly, I think if it's good enough that people who are unfamiliar with the franchise can still enjoy it and even want to try picking up the game, I think that's really awesome!! And I definitely hope you enjoy the game when you get a chance to play it!!

I agree. This is my favorite otome game and I appreciate how the anime is adapting it. It is a "cliff notes" version like you mentioned but I am glad that this is encouraging people to play the game. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This might be a good moment to remember that the character Saint is based on is immortal. Chelsea Quinn Yarbro's vampiric noble was born roughly four thousand years ago, and that seems to be holding true for Code:Realize's version as well, although perhaps not the vampire part.

I admit I haven't been paying close attention and perhaps missed something, but I assumed he was based on the historical Comte de Saint Germain. But given that everyone else is from literary works, I guess it's reasonable that he would be too. Smile

I don't understand Idea. Are they immortal or time-travelers? If they're merely immortal, how are they preserving history when they don't know what it will be? They're not Touken Ranbu swords. Smile

As for Cardia being named for Cardea, I think that might be reaching a bit. I just figured her name was derived from the Greek kardia meaning "heart." You know, since she's the heart of the group (as well as of the Code:Realize plan), despite not actually having one, along with all the other heart symbolism regarding feelings and love and soul, etc.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
Well, Yarbro based her vampire on the historical Comte, so you aren't wrong. Very Happy I'm going with the Yarbro theory largely because he seems immortal and, as you mentioned, pretty much everyone else is from a literary source.

Yes, the Greek word makes much more sense! I've got more Latin than Greek in my personal language base (as in I mostly speak Romance languages, took a few Latin classes, and all my Greek is from random places), so I missed that one. Embarassed
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:46 am Reply with quote
Well, we do have the Latin heart (cor) in "coronary" (actually from corona: crown) but the Latin in "cardiac" (cardiacus) is from the Greek kardia. Smile

I knew that the Count has appeared in a lot of fictional works, but I didn't know about Yarbro's Count, so I learned something!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
I should have made that connection! (cardiac --> kardia) I really am a champ at overthinking things sometimes. (By which I mean most of the time. Wink )
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad you did, as I had not heard of Cardea before. I was delighted to learn of a deity for hinges. Does she carry an oilcan as her token? Wink

Apparently Ovid at least saw a connection of Cardea to the heart via his conflation of her with the goddess Carna, "guardian of the heart and the vital parts of the human body" and apparently door handles. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
the horror that her family kept an exact replica of her original dress to put her back in once they captured her

Oh snap, I didn't even notice. Laughing Maybe they had a whole wardrobe of them to outfit all the clones before it turned out that they failed.

I've been thinking about the Horologium. Usually that's a term for a clock tower or other structure housing a timepiece. If the device on her chest is a timepiece, then she herself would be the horologium. However, since she's not, then the Horologium must contain the clock.

When Finis was doing his disappearing act, it occurred to me that perhaps the vaunted perpetual motion machine wasn't so much actual perpetual motion as it was some manipulation of space/time, like being a machine that appeared perpetually in motion because in its own reality it's caught in a time loop. So maybe that's related to why she's back in her original dress?

I'm sure I'm missing key explanations that have been made and went unretained in my memory. Smile

Moving on, I guess I get why Cardia is reluctant to use her poison to melt things willy-nilly, but if I were her, I think at least one glove would've come off during the battle, and those tentacles would've been a prime target (unless they employ the same anti-poison tech used for her clothes).
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, in the game, the Lupin ending is only unlocked after you get the other four endings. So it references and ties in things from the other endings without properly explaining them because, well, to get that ending you have to have seen the others.

This is one of those stories where you can't pull a Kanon or Clannad and just kind of wedge the other characters plots in there because one of the things about Code;Realize is that all the villain's plots are mutually exclusive since they all depend on Cardia and all the plots happen to involve doing something to Cardia that means she's useless to the other villains. The only exception to that is still mutually exclusive because their reactions to the other plots render their own plan completely moot.

They did well enough for the limited time they had, so that's a good thing, and I'm glad they didn't pull an Amnesia. I don't really see how else they could have done it.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
What remains when you take away most of infinity?

Infinity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fear and superstition have been ongoing themes in the show

Despite the steampunk setting, the prevailing message seemed to be that science is evil. The villagers merely over-reacted with their torches and pitchforks and misplaced the blame, but they weren't actually wrong to reject science.

Come to think of it, everyone in Lupin's little group are representatives of (what this story seems to view as) evil, but appear as exceptions to the rule: Lupin is a thief, Impey is an engineer (see Nemo for his evil counterpart), Drac is a vampire, Van Helsing is an assassin, Saint is essentially an Illuminati, Frankenstein is a scientist/alchemist, evil by definition. Everyone else who follows these occupations is evil, and only our boys are good.

Ironically, Isaac and Idea share the same philosophy: humans need guidance because they're vulgar and stupid. They only differ in who they think should be doing the guiding.

I was kinda hoping for Finis' redemption, but alas. At least he died knowing someone loved him.
aquapainter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, it was a bit of a rushed ending, though I enjoyed it. Maybe it's just because I have the background knowledge of the game helping me fill in some blanks.

Most of people's questions I've seen here do actually get answered in the game, so honestly, if you enjoyed the anime but would prefer to have more of those holes filled in, I'd really recommend picking it up, especially whenever the PS4 version is released here since it'll be bundled with the fandisc. And Finis gets a (thankfully platonic) route in the fandisc, from what I've been told, so that might be worth checking out if you were hoping for a different ending for him!

I would argue against the idea that this is a "science is evil" story, though. Just based on the information from the game spoiler[that the leader of Idea is Eve, and that this whole job is a part of her punishment from God for committing the original sin and eating the fruit of knowledge, and she's painted as well-meaning but ultimately in the wrong as well, that it's really more of "a god based in neither science nor religion has the right to decide humanity's fate, only humanity does" story, neither power is inherently right or wrong until people use it to try and force their own wills on others.]

But in all honesty, I don't think this thing is actually deep enough to parade that kind of message that strongly, either. At the end of the day it's mostly just the story of one girl learning to love herself and be loved by others, with some fantasy and sci-fi thrown in to spice it up. But that's actually my favorite aspect of the story, as someone who empathized really strongly with Cardia's tendencies towards depression and low self-worth in the game.

But yeah, in my opinion an overall okay adaptation, definitely better than stuff like Amnesia got, but it works better as a little companion to the original than a stand-alone for sure.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
^ What, spoiler[painful childbirth, periods and patriarchy] weren't punishments enough? Smile But seriously, spoiler[Eve's whole story is inherently anti-science, not only providing a scapegoat for humanity's fall from grace, but justifying unquestioning obedience to God (and his spokesmen). The root-word of science means knowledge, and Eve's crime was bringing knowledge (specifically of good and evil and the evils of nudity) to the world.]
aquapainter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:49 am Reply with quote
That's a fair point, though I meant more that in the context of the game's storyline itself, spoiler[Eve is stated to be working in the name of furthering God's will - basically acting as a proxy for him. So I don't think that the idea that she applies to a possible "science is evil" message works that well, even if it would for her portrayal in the actual bible.] I can definitely see how you could read that message into the game, though I don't think it's necessarily actively or purposefully trying to go for that message more than any other science fiction story where technology either is the villain or plays a large role in the villain's plan does. That's just the way I read it for myself, though!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2