• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: BLEND-S

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SleepySkull

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I may be in the minority on this one, but I'm quite happy with this series so far. That's because it consistently does what I need it to do: it makes me laugh. It isn't awesome creativity to have a naive character like Maika think you finess information from customers by asking "do you like to be tied up?" It is funny, though. And I think some of the charm comes from the cast clearly having a great time with the broad humor.

There are also the occasional small pleasures, such as the simple visual style distilled down to the economy of just Akizuki's eye movements selling his doujinshi temptation in the break room, or the fact that the only segment approaching fan service is the debut of Maika in dominatrix mode. I'd also put the recurring character of Magical Girl Frill in this category, That her pink outfit's magic wand transforms into a mace with her black outfit is almost as much fun as Mamika's wand poing-poinging heart-shaped grenades in Re:Creators.

So yeah, it's no KonoSuba. But it's still a fun show.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:25 pm Reply with quote
True, the jokes are predictable and the cuteness factor is starting to wane as the show progresses but I still enjoy the workplace levity each character contributes. I got a big chuckle out of the scene where the "insiders" were near river's edge on a mat with iphone, tablets in hand ordering crap online while the outdoor folk were really doing outdoorsy activities. Lol, so true. Cool
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Well here comes the awaited last character. Well....lets just say that at least this character will spice things up...for various reasons...
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
This is presumably the last character introduction Blend-S has up its sleeve

Hey, there is still a dog awaiting to make his entrance :-p
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:59 am Reply with quote
I guess it was far from say other anime, where it could have been made a problem with Hideri's sex. Hideri was generally accepted by everyone, which is pretty great. I guess a bit of discomfort I felt was over what gender Hideri might identify as, that Hideri did explain themself as a boy, but also incredibly feminine and wrote female on resume. There was acceptance in shopping for female clothing, but when push came to shove Hideri was made to go into the male public restroom instead of the female one that Hideri first ran to. This could cover a little bit about crossdressing not being an excuse to wear the wrong bathroom, but not necessary what comfortable with. The topic has kind of become something of debate in I think the west, whether Japan is up to that task, but anime has actually had an example with Chivalry of a Failed Knight, where she used the bathroom she identified as.

Regardless, I say that Hideri is cute, while the vanity is funny. Mafuyu's role is maybe in danger.
LunaPrecure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:20 am Reply with quote
I guess Akizuki’s wish for another male to be hired came true. ◡̈ More or less. I can’t really see Hideri helping out in the kitchen though.
LunaPrecure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:34 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I guess it was far from say other anime, where it could have been made a problem with Hideri's sex. Hideri was generally accepted by everyone, which is pretty great. I guess a bit of discomfort I felt was over what gender Hideri might identify as, that Hideri did explain themself as a boy, but also incredibly feminine and wrote female on resume. There was acceptance in shopping for female clothing, but when push came to shove Hideri was made to go into the male public restroom instead of the female one that Hideri first ran to. This could cover a little bit about crossdressing not being an excuse to wear the wrong bathroom, but not necessary what comfortable with. The topic has kind of become something of debate in I think the west, whether Japan is up to that task, but anime has actually had an example with Chivalry of a Failed Knight, where she used the bathroom she identified as.

From my perspective, everything seemed passable thus far. Dino’s unacceptance of him/her seemed in-character, because so far, he’s been nothing more than a moronic foreigner who owns a restaurant. As for the scene with Miu, it seemed that there might be some kind of social stigma in Japan regarding people with male genitalia using the women’s room, because she mentioned not wanting him to be arrested. I’m not completely sure about what’s acceptable in Japanese culture. I can understand your concerns though.
Rosiero

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:17 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
(...) but anime has actually had an example with Chivalry of a Failed Knight, where she used the bathroom she identified as.

Actually, the Chivalry anime is inconsistent with this. In material adapted from the novels, Alice uses the male bathroom, but there's a filler scene where she's in the girls' changing room with the other female characters.
AholePony

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
That was a pretty weak finale. This was a visually pretty series let down by the source material and then the direction and scripting of the series. Oh well, all in all it was a harmless sometimes funny Moe anime that was good enough for weekly viewing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2