• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Ancient Magus' Bride

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:04 am Reply with quote
This series is catching up to the US manga releases so fast! Too fast! But I love it! I can't wait for soundtracks to be available! Oooh, next week begins one of my favorite parts of what I've read so far in the manga.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:17 am Reply with quote
It may or may not be worth mentioning this, but the location of the screenshot used for this week's review is right across the square from my previous office.

The background artists have taken one or two liberties with the streetscape, though the likeness is otherwise quite unnerving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:03 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
So what's Renfred's excuse for kidnapping a girl off the street and putting her to work in his home as "payment" for saving her? He's human! He knows that there are social services in England for drug addicted homeless kids! What the hell?! No doubt he intends that she become his apprentice and maybe even his wife someday, too. Gross.

You're forgetting that Renfred's a sorcerer/alchemist, not a mage. Mages are a dying breed. Sorcerers are apparently big enough to have a college. Renfred took issue with Elias keeping Chise as an experiment. He shows no such intention for Alice, and has put his life on the line for her multiple times despite grievous injuries.

As for the wife thing, by this point in the manga Lindel already mentioned that spoiler[master-apprentice mages usually become husband-wife in order to produce more mages to keep them from going extinct.] This implies it's exclusive to mages and that Elias' comments way back in episode 1 are him mimicking the tradition, without understanding the underlying connotations. (see how thrown off he was by Oberon's question about "kids")

Edit: Three chapters in one episode has definitely been the series at its most ambitious. I'm nervous they plan to adapt past chapter 36 but that's still in the middle of an arc. A lot was cut out about Yule and enjoying the holiday and Alice's backstory got slimmed down quite a bit.

It looks like next episode will cover 2 chapters. That's 7 episodes left for about a dozen chapters of source material, assuming they're not ending with the last completed arc.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:20 am Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Agent355 wrote:
So what's Renfred's excuse for kidnapping a girl off the street and putting her to work in his home as "payment" for saving her? He's human! He knows that there are social services in England for drug addicted homeless kids! What the hell?! No doubt he intends that she become his apprentice and maybe even his wife someday, too. Gross.

You're forgetting that Renfred's a sorcerer/alchemist, not a mage. Mages are a dying breed. Sorcerers are apparently big enough to have a college. Renfred took issue with Elias keeping Chise as an experiment. He shows no such intention for Alice, and has put his life on the line for her multiple times despite grievous injuries.

As for the wife thing, by this point in the manga Lindel already mentioned that spoiler[master-apprentice mages usually become husband-wife in order to produce more mages to keep them from going extinct.] This implies it's exclusive to mages and that Elias' comments way back in episode 1 are him mimicking the tradition, without understanding the underlying connotations. (see how thrown off he was by Oberon's question about "kids")

OK, guess I misunderstood the quote in the manga, as I totally thought it applied to sorcerers/alchemists, too. Y'all are right, I should give Renfred a break. That said, why hasn't Alice been going to school? That's still weird. I hope Renfred will convince her to go to the Alchemist College, at the very least.
trilaan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
No review for episode 17 yet. Anne? Are you OK?
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:20 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
No review for episode 17 yet. Anne? Are you OK?

Anne had to take a week off due to scheduling conflicts, but she'll be back with a review of both episodes this weekend. Smile
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:56 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:

Anne had to take a week off due to scheduling conflicts, but she'll be back with a review of both episodes this weekend. Smile

OK, coolness. Thanks, JC.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have to say I found episode 18 pretty disturbing. It's not that I have been unaware of the less than healthy aspects of Chise and Elias's relationship nor the dangers she is routinely put in as she studies magic. However, this episode really drove home what a thoroughly dangerous creature Elias is to her safety. Honestly, after this episode it's pretty hard not to think Chise should not be living with something like him. Course that would kinda blow story-wise...
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I remember when I was a child and trapped my love interests in a mass of tentacles while trying to eat them because I was jealous of their 10 year old platonic friends. Ah, such innocent memories!

Seriously speaking, I find the attempts - now in the show itself - to write Elias behavior off as "that of a child" pretty perplexing, especially when so much of his other behavior and presentation is consistent with an older fatherly man and nothing they apply that to, such as this jealousy/possessiveness, is necessarily childish in the sense they're using the term.

The bit with the knife in that scene is also a bit... I guess that's where the "what would my mother do?" came from and the idea is that if he sees her try that, he would let her go because he cares enough to not want to see her hurt, but... he was hurting her and she would've died anyway if he ate her? How was he conscious enough to realize she was hurting herself but not enough to realize he was hurting her?

I'm always happy about the return of dragons, though! I'd give this show a much higher score if every episode had dragons and talking cats. At least talking dogs are fine in the meantime, as Ruth was pretty great in this episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I wrote in the series discussion thread that I really hope this incident with Elias isn't just swept under the carpet, but I get the sense it probably will be. I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:20 am Reply with quote
Remember that Elias isn't human and doesn't even understand human emotions for the most part, so when he experiences new ones he reacts to them differently than how a normal person would and basically acts on them rather than simply suppressing them. Granted, Chise needs to explain to him that hentai is not where he should be learning how to express his affections heh.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:20 am Reply with quote
The anime has almost overtaken what has so far been released of the manga in the US. I feel some trepidation about this but I'm also excited to see some new stuff in animated format first.

Regarding episode 18, I think Chise just has more faith in Elias than we, as the audience, are capable of having.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:46 am Reply with quote
trilaan wrote:
The anime has almost overtaken what has so far been released of the manga in the US. I feel some trepidation about this but I'm also excited to see some new stuff in animated format first.

Regarding episode 18, I think Chise just has more faith in Elias than we, as the audience, are capable of having.

No doubt. All I was commenting on was the fact that my own personal comfort zone had been breached. Earlier in the series, other posters registered similar feelings over various aspects but I didn't feel the same way. Now a line has finally been crossed for me. It's not like we learned anything new. We have known for a while now that Elias is an entity who, in certain emotional aspects, is a child. The problem is he has the power of a monster. When a child throws a tantrum, it's irritating. When Elias has one, it could be fatal. Seeing Chise have to prick her neck with a knife just to snap Elias out of it... oof. No likey. We all have our individual tolerances to content and I'm going to have a hard time overlooking this one.
TymersRealm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
@Blood-

If you think Elias' actions are worrisome now, I doubt you'll care for what happens with the fallout of the dragon incident that's been foreshadowed. For those who haven't been following the Manga, the next three to four episodes is gonna be taking us to some, relatively, dark places.
Like @trilaan mentioned, seeing where the narrative goes after passing what the US has seen is gonna be interesting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:06 am Reply with quote
I'd really appreciate not getting any hints of where the story is going, thanks. Please use spoiler tags for any information - no matter how trivial - that derives from source material.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 36 of 41