• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Ancient Magus' Bride

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nodz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
Ever since the anime started adapting at a 3 chapter per episode pace, I've lost hope in it as an adaptation. It's just rushing things over when it really should've ended with Chise and Elias' resolution to fix everything going forward together. Instead they rushed through that arc and now plows into the handful of chapters the source has left. Disappointing.

Yes, it skipped soooo much dialogue, a lot of things were reduced to the maximum and the Elias/Torrey scene with just music was the worst. I do hope we'll see this scene again, like a flashback, with the content of the conversation.

About the names, is there an official romanization of them?
I saw several different spelling and sometimes it is confusing:
*Ruth's real named was spelling "Yuris" on CR but apparently is it Ulysse.
*Isabel was spelled Isabelle until we saw her grave.
*Tory, Torry, Torrey...
*Merituuli was spelled Bertoulli in episode 19.
*And the older witch, on CR she's called "Puris" but I read it's in fact "Phyllis" (which doesn't make sense, as it is pronounced "Pyurisu"
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:20 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Crext wrote:
spoiler[And as such she runs from the arms of the over-protective beast into the arms of the nefarious monster. Poor judgment Chise, poor judgment.]
It is definitely not poor judgement to walk away from a guy who would kill Chise's only friend out of possessiveness and jealousy
I hope you don't intend to imply that it displays good judgement to put yourself in the power of an untrustworthy person known for torture, maiming, surgical experimentation, etc. over centuries of time. Because it's not and is one of the big problems I had with the writing this episode. There are other choices and the only way Chise' actions make sense is that the writer intends to have a "redemption" arc for Joseph.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Nodz wrote:
*And the older witch, on CR she's called "Puris" but I read it's in fact "Phyllis" (which doesn't make sense, as it is pronounced "Pyurisu"
It does if you're aware of the Ancient Greek pronunciation of "Phyllis" (Φυλλίς): the "ph" was an aspirated "p" rather than a "f" sound and "y" was similar to the French "u" or the German "ü".

Edit:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
Crext wrote:
spoiler[And as such she runs from the arms of the over-protective beast into the arms of the nefarious monster. Poor judgment Chise, poor judgment.]
It is definitely not poor judgement to walk away from a guy who would kill Chise's only friend out of possessiveness and jealousy
I hope you don't intend to imply that it displays good judgement to put yourself in the power of an untrustworthy person known for torture, maiming, surgical experimentation, etc. over centuries of time.
She was sort of already in his power from the moment he essentially took her friend hostage, so from Chise's perspective walking away from Joseph would amount to abandoning Stella right after having rescued her from Elias. She really has no good options in this situation.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:22 am Reply with quote
Having finished Volume 8 the other day, there is a particular difference in this episode: spoiler[the library scene had actual spoken dialog we were supposed to hear; the anime skipped it over, likely because the director thought it would be superfluous (I don't think it was). Honestly, I thought Elias was planning to sacrifice himself, which would make the parallel to Beauty and the Beast even more powerful since Beast would have gone that far for Beauty's sake].

Just imagine if spoiler[the Beast had done something dark and drastic to get Beauty to stay in his castle]. Of course, the key difference here is spoiler[the Beast has a heart and would never go to those lengths; I get the impression Elias doesn't care for such a thing even if he does eventually learn how to fully comprehend emotions].
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I was also pretty disappointed in Ruth. Of course he's absolutely loyal to Chise and loves her unconditionally and it's also in his best interest that she survives...but knowing that he literally shares her emotions (and previous episodes have shown him to be fairly sensitive), i'd expected him to be a bit more...conflicted at the very least? Confused
Key

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
I hope you don't intend to imply that it displays good judgement to put yourself in the power of an untrustworthy person known for torture, maiming, surgical experimentation, etc. over centuries of time. Because it's not and is one of the big problems I had with the writing this episode. There are other choices and the only way Chise' actions make sense is that the writer intends to have a "redemption" arc for Joseph.

Remember, Chise knows exactly what kind of person Josef is and what he's capable of - better than probably anyone else in the story, in fact. As upset as she is at Elias, she'd never willingly go with Josef as an alternative. But that means she also knows he's not bluffing about harming Stella if she doesn't go along, so she's effectively being blackmailed.

Anyway, this episode brings the story up to the point where the English release of the manga ends, so only scanlation readers are going to know what happens beyond this point. However, I don't see a redemption for Josef in the works. A "put him to peace so he's no longer a threat" situation is entirely possible, though.

And yeah, I'm also not crazy about how the glossed-over dialog is being handled, especially in this case, although it's clear that it was done to make sure that the episode ended at the point that it did. Things like that are why this series is probably not going to be #1 on my list agsin this season unless the ending is truly spectacular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Again, the anime is a lost cause for me. Not digging the rushing just to have an anime only ending. Definitely not recommending it to anyone past the first half now.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:21 am Reply with quote
Why? I thought episode 22 was the strongest full episode of this season, if not the series. It also addresses many of the concerns about Chise's background that were brought up early in this thread's discussion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:41 am Reply with quote
*Been meaning to comment on this thread more often, but haven’t gotten around to doing so in recent weeks for one reason for another*

Episode 22 was quite interesting and engaging to watch. I’m not getting a rushed feeling at all from this episode. As an anime, it’s paced just fine. Over the course of the series, I’m growing more and more attached to Chise as a character and seeing her background being dived into as it was this week definitely added to that attachment. In all honesty, I’m just now starting to realize how much I really like this series and would recommend it to others who are interested in giving it a shot. I’ll be sad to see it eventually go.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 22 was tough to watch for me because it showed very directly what Chise suffered as a child (I haven't watched the OVAs yet, preferring to wait until I complete the TV series). What was especially hard for me was watching the "good times" and knowing what was to come. But we see how much Chise has grown. Cartiphilus showed her those repressed memories hoping to upset her, but instead Chise was able to use them to move on. As she said, she hasn't forgiven her mother, but she is able to thank her for not killing her and she reflects on all the people who are in her life now. Awesome.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 22 was tough to watch for me because it showed very directly what Chise suffered as a child (I haven't watched the OVAs yet, preferring to wait until I complete the TV series).

Um, the OVAs are set during episode 13, so there's absolutely no reason to wait on watching them from a storytelling perspective.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I was aware it was not a requirement to watch the entire series first, but still chose to do so.
Olderthandirt2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:02 pm Reply with quote
The scene in episode 22 where spoiler[Joseph exchanges eyeballs with Chise and subsequently seeing Chise face with one of Joseph's eyes and one of her own ] while not as horrific as some of the earlier actions of Joseph, but to have it involve the main character and as graphically as was done was emotionally much stronger to me than anything done before. That not to say that the series has not been building up in its horror aspect, with the small dragons being operated on in the opening of an earlier episode. But what was largely a slice of life anime with a tragic opening, now has a large horror element that I had not expected.
Olderthandirt2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:53 pm Reply with quote
While Japan is not part of the Christian/European culture, the series rubs me the wrong way by selecting a figure of European anti-semitism as a major antagonist for the series. The fairies and witches both have their own motives and agendas which may or may not agree with humans and mages and the Ashen Eye is dangerous and morally ambivalent. But Joseph is a psychopath (willing to do violence to cary out his whims, inability to empathize with those he hurts, self centered, and believing he is above all ethical norms).

The legend of the Wandering Jew was part of Christendom's history of abuse of Jews. As the Wikipedia article on the Wandering Jew, shows the legend is told and retold in many forms. But at its heart it was an expression of Jews as an anomaly, as eternal outsiders who persist over time. But the Wandering Jew was never evil or a source of violence. He was to be pitied and was a warning of the perils of rejecting Christianity but he was not a threat. But here he is demonic, centuries-old, force who takes joy in pain and actively hates individuals just because they are not as miserable as himself.

If this was done by any group in the US, Europe, or the Mideast it would be taken as an antisemitic act. I know that Japan loves to mix and match western religions in a playful fashion, but shouldn't they have been a bit more sensitive on this point? As some have suggested we may be headed for a Joseph redemption event in the plot, if so it would be most welcome.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Episode 22 was quite interesting and engaging to watch. I’m not getting a rushed feeling at all from this episode.

It wasn't. It went at a sane two chapter pace. The rest of this cour has.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 39 of 41