• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Land of the Lustrous

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Oi that was Chrono1000's post. I would never shittalk Phos like that. They ain't flawed, they're perfect in their shittiness.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
This is definitely my favorite anime of this season! Although everyone watching praises it, it doesn't seem that popular, unfortunately. I hope it continues on after this season and continue to make fantastic use of the CGI - plus, I feel like there are a lot of mysteries in the plot that need to be developed!

I feel this show is starting to catch on to a lot of peeps thanks to word of mouth. Of course the biggest hurdle is giving 3DCG anime a chance.
gdpetti

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this one is interesting.... more so than the manga, which I checked out up to ep 62, in which they're finally starting to figure out what's going on... way too many filler type chapters in the manga.... so if it gets another cour, they can easily skip alot of those chapters. What reading the manga pointed to me, is how great this anime looks, feels etc... sure, a little of that is in the manga, but the manga is pretty stark in B/W terms... without all that color, the landscape is rather desolate etc.... no VAs bringing the characters to life, to help make each different etc. The anime really captures the suggested mood of the manga better than the manga does... IMO of course. Laughing
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
It feels like the animators are really starting to hit their stride. The show didn't look bad by any stretch when it first started, but now there is real talent being showcased. Between the stunning camera work from last week, and now the delightfully animated Lunarian dogs and general spectacular use of color, you can tell as they were making the show they started to get more comfortable with it by the time they reached these later episodes. As always, the show remains engrossing and the world always finds ways to pique my interest, but now it's starting to feel fully fleshed out and it's glorious to behold.

As well, the overall directing has become quite stellar. Great use of the original score to heighten emotional moments like Rutile trying to get Padparadscha to wake up, as well as the large Lunarian fading away next to Kongo sensei. Land of the Lustrous is much more of a complete package than when it started out, and I'm glad I stuck with it because it has earned its identity. 3DCG anime can look beautiful with properly emotive characters, it can be well-directed, and it can have a good story. I hope whatever comes after this takes notes, because I wouldn't mind 3DCG anime so much if it managed to pull off what this show has.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
I really don't want this anime to end, there's still so much to learn about these characters and their world! Last week i was thinking that we've met the creepiest Lunarian so far, but it turns out it was actually the cutest. This show never ceases to amaze and surprise me.
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
This series is incredible. For a fantasy show it went very well. Even if it ends without giving more clarification than those we have already obtained, I think it deserves a high note. Of course, this is if the columnist does not try to influence negatively the readers, something that is very customary here. I hope the columnist has a gap of common sense and acknowledge the grandeur of the series, without acting in bad faith!

But I believe in the columnist.
Mealstrom

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:45 pm Reply with quote
For those who read the manga: Are we going to hit a good stopping place, or is a S2 likely to happen to finish off what's currently going on?
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Mealstrom wrote:
For those who read the manga: Are we going to hit a good stopping place, or is a S2 likely to happen to finish off what's currently going on?

The next episode will wraps up Phos encounter with Padparadscha. It will also
feature Phos reflection of himself so far. Perhaps a possible tease meeting with a character that will be important in the next season. Other than that they will skip a few chapters ahead to give us a scene that deal with Phos current relationship with Cinnabar. We won't be getting the reveal of what's up with sensei and the lunarians. If we get a second season it will mainly be about figuring that out.
Cross_Yuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Mealstrom wrote:

I don't read the manga (yet) but I saw that the title of last episode is "New job". My bet is that it refers to Cinnabar, since episode 1 started with Phos looking for a job for Cinnabar (also being the very first scene devoted to Cinnabar). If that is the case, I don't think we are getting any answers, and the topic of Lunarians and their links to Sensei will be left to be solved in next season...maybe Padparadscha will give Phos some clues in order to continue her investigation. The ending is likely to be quite open, but I hope there will be surprises and they are able to end it on a high note.
Niello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Alright it's settled. I f*cking hate Sentai translation.

Edit: I let it sit for a bit and rewatched the episode raw, I got to appreciate the ending more now that I'm not getting irritated by the sub every minute. The scene with Cinnabar and Phos exchange was especially bad. I mentioned when the first episode aired that they made a huge translation mistake. Nowt hat really came back to bite in the final episode. Phos didn't tell Cinnabar he would get him a "better" job. It's a job that's more "fun". The sub ruined the entire parallel between Phos personality change and the memory lost going hand in hand. The translator didn't even made a decent attempt to fix it.

Last edited by Niello on Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:37 am; edited 2 times in total
Ronie Peterson

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I guessed the reviewer was going to be mourning about the end of the show. lol

This anime has been quietly one of the best. This year we had a lot of good things. I am particularly pleased with this series.
Mealstrom

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Did we really need to have a read the manga ending without any soft confirmation of a sequel?
Zeino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Best show of the season over Magus Bride by just a hair's breadth and the single best CGI anime ever made as of yet. A second season of it can't come soon enough.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 is one of the best non endings I have watched in anime. It perfectly conveyed how this show has a ton of potential. Hopefully we get a very needed sequel.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:01 am Reply with quote
Romi Park as Padparadscha alone deserved five stars! Very Happy

This was definitely the surprise of the season (year?) for me, i only checked it out on a whim and boy, am i glad i did! Now it's time to start crossing fingers for a s2...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9