• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Land of the Lustrous

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:37 am Reply with quote
I have to say, that last episode hit me in the jugular when they actually showed how much Phos has changed. If one of this show's allegory is growing up, man do they nailed it!

God, this show is too good, and I am so ready for S2. Hell, I would love to see Haruko Ichikawa collaborate with a famous anime director and see what crazy anime original they can come up with. I can't believe 2017 ended having my top favorites being 3DCG shows with this and Kemono Friends. I would have never expected that.

And people doubted this show in the beginning because 1.) it's 3DCG and 2.) it's done by some of the Love Live staff. Hot dang, did they pull it through!
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, this show was certainly an unexpected gem Wink

You can become personally involved in a show based upon the characters but it takes something special to also become invested in the shows universe. Both aims achieved in this case. It even managed its comedy very well, an element which tends to fail the most even in very good adaptations (looking at you March comes in like a Lion). Leaving a show with the only criticism I can think of at the moment being, not enough was explained, is quite a rarity, though Girls Last Tour also gets that distinction this season.

So, who do I throw money at to get a second season?
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Gosh, episode 12 was very interesting and engaging. In fact, one can use those two words to describe the whole series and it would fit. Splendid job by the staff and their use of CG was absolutely breathtaking. This show is begging for a season 2 and I would be very sad if it never gets one. Also, Tomoyo Kurosawa has completely knocked it out of the park with her voice acting as Phos. She fit perfectly and I wonder if people would have enjoyed the show less if it was anyone else voicing Phos. All in all, this is certainly a show that I won’t ever forget about.
Dont

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
Loved it. Can't wait for season 2.
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:18 am Reply with quote
Newly released to regular Amazon Prime users from Anime Strike jail, I watched the entire thing in the last two days. God, what an excellent show. I really really like the style and the emotions, and just everything. Like the reviewer, I was irritated by Phos at first, but then I came to appreciate them and their envy of their former self. Heartbreaking! This definitely needs a sequel, and I WANT TO SEE WHAT GOES ON AT THE MOONS! What is being done to these poor gems, aside from becoming weapon enhancements? Will we see anyone be collected enough in that form to be reassembled among friends? I am dying to know!

I also want Phos to go searching for their missing arms now that the ocean is thawed, or for the invertebrates to find and recognize the material and return it to them. If Phos were to coat their body with gold, could they withstand the ocean without resin?

Is the gems' sense of aesthetics a remnant of human culture, causing them to think of completely unpowdered translucency as ugly? Did they do that to unknowingly replicate having skin like a human, or just to see facial expressions better? Did they want to look more like Kongo-sensei? I have so many questions!

What are the blades they fight with made out of? Obsidian the character makes them, and they kind of look like obsidian the material! How is that connected? I know that Obsidian is very sharp, but it is only 5-6 on the Mohs scale. When Diamond's blade broke, it did not look like metal. It chipped in that serrated manner, like obsidian would.

Gah! I got carried away!
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Just finished watching the final episode. Hopefully we get a season two.spoiler[It just had to end on a cliffhanger.
]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9