• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Land of the Lustrous

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
"They" is just confusing; half the time I spend 5 minutes trying to understand a sentence before getting that "They" is referring to a single entity and not a group.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
It okay to call Phos and the other gems "it", you know. That what they are: its.

Also, if you guy's are starting to like Phos now, then just wait until much later when things get really interesting. Wink

Its is for objects, which the gems are kinda not.
There are genderless pronouns other than "they" but none of them have caught on to the point that they don't feel weird to use.

I think Cinn didn't join the others because they poisonous and going in the water would be a very bad idea. Also Phos was the most depressing part of this episode. Nothing feels worse than continuing to fail at a goal.
Ahh the next episode will be the final part of the Ocean Arc and begin the Winter Arc. spoiler[I hope everyone cries next arc. It really becomes depressing then.]
moogrin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
This was my favorite ep of this show so far. It's been grabbing me more and more as it's gone on. I really love what it's doing with embodiment, that Phos has finally lost some memories permanently and has these totally new legs going on. I wonder if like when they merged with the "King" if Phos will gain something else from these legs besides just this newfound speed.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:

Ahh the next episode will be the final part of the Ocean Arc and begin the Winter Arc. spoiler[I hope everyone cries next arc. It really becomes depressing then.]

That reminds me, what is up with this countdown on the website? Some peeps speculate it's counting down to that Winter arc. Are they planning on doing something special during that?
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:
There are genderless pronouns other than "they" but none of them have caught on to the point that they don't feel weird to use.
I assure you, the singular "they" also feels weird to use. And read.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
PotatoGirl wrote:
I assure you, the singular "they" also feels weird to use. And read.

The reviewer could’ve also used “that gem” or “the gem” as opposed to using “they” all the time.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
PotatoGirl wrote:

That reminds me, what is up with this countdown on the website? Some peeps speculate it's counting down to that Winter arc. Are they planning on doing something special during that?

I can see them changing the animation for the opening sequence somewhat, wouldn't make that much sense after the arc anyway. It would also be quite a missed opportunity otherwise. I mean, the OP looks so tamed, and it's definitely more or less because they want to avoid giving out spoilers.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
Yeah, Phos was definitely the most depressing part in episode 5. Pretty good episode overall, but man, I would really appreciate it if Phos doesn’t fail for once. Tomoyo Kurosawa does such a great job at voicing Phos and I love it. Next week looks to be Phos’ first try in a battle and I’m curious to see how exactly that will turn out.
elior1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:14 am Reply with quote
CardamonPastel wrote:
I read the manga up to the most recent chapter so I pretty much know what is going to happen, and will be able to see the things that have been changed in the show, which I'm not looking forward to. I have a feeling the show, considering how much they emphasized his importance in the shows opening, will change things around to inflate Cinnabar/Shinshas importance beyond the little role they play in the Manga. While I would love to see Cinnabar more, especially since its odd to me how out of focus cinnabar becomes, most of Phos' development into becoming a better, most interesting character happens without Cinnabars involvement. I just don't want anything to feel forced.
i think you worry too much. so far they did very good job in the 5 episodes. no need to worry for now
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Cin really could have told people about Phos being back, would have saved them a whole lot of trouble. Imagine your boss call everyone to the office because they lost something important, somebody find it right away but just leave it on the boss desk while everyone else spend the night looking for it. I'd be massively pissed. Evil or Very Mad

And yeah, the pronoun things is just getting annoying, he/she/it would work way better.

He: When gender is unclear you usually default to male

She: They're obviously drawn to look feminine in nature, nobody would be confused

It: They're not human (as someone whose first language isn't English, I was so glad that English actually had a gender neutral pronoun, only to be massively disappointed when I found out its considered rude to use it for people, why spit at a perfectly good opportunity to be clea?).

They: Wait are we talking about one in particular or a group of them?
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

And yeah, the pronoun things is just getting annoying, he/she/it would work way better.

I agree with what Niello said, using "that gem" or the character's name would work a lot better for people inexperienced with singular "they".
Niello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:
meiam wrote:

I agree with what Niello said, using "that gem" or the character's name would work a lot better for people inexperienced with singular "they".

That's not me though, I think you meant someone else. I firmly stand on the "he" side, though I don't really care what others use as long as people are informed about what's being used in Japanese. When I use he/him/his then at least I'll be raising more awareness on that. Besides, I think using masculine pronouns respect the author's wish on how she want to characterise the gems.

It also makes sense from the story perspective, as it is sensei who teaches the gems about cultures. There's no doubt that's how you could see some of the left over behaviours, practices, and terminologies that are somewhat similar but don't quite function the same way it used to. Other than that, since the anime made them more feminine with female VAs, character designs and animations, using "he" counters that a bit I suppose.

To me, "she" and "that gem" (or "that child", a phrase used often enough in the story) are much more preferable over "they". As the sub has proven to be quite a mess so far, it'd be appreciable if they just drop at trying to avoid he/she and instead focus on refining the actual translation. So far, parts of the dialogue have been pathetically unnatural, and there are parts where they omitted info or change the content to work around the pronouns. I think they slipped at least once and used "she" anyway.

Unfortunately neither English nor Japanese has gender neutral pronouns for addressing older/younger siblings. Occasionally characters would drop info about their age in their sentences, such as the one in this week's episode where Red Beryl called Alexandrite "aniki". The sub ignored this and just used the name instead and that by far annoys me about this more than anything. It's something that viewers should be able to get from the text, so the whole "they" thing just doesn't sit well with me. I don't look forward to when they are going to make Bort says "Diamond" when he meant to say "older brother", in a scene where that really adds to the context of their relationship. Presumably, Diamond did fine in the top brass before Bort came along.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Niello wrote:
PotatoGirl wrote:
meiam wrote:

That's not me though, I think you meant someone else.

Oh no, I meant you, sorry if that wasn't clear. I was talking about what Niello said but thought it was connected to what you were saying.
RyuuGP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:53 am Reply with quote
That was mostly depressing episode, There is almost no energy from Phos's voice, which the VA has done a good job doing it. But I'm glad that she can stand up again and even got an upgrade.

About how to call the gems, i will call them "she" because they looks like girls, sound like girls, named like girls (i know those are gems name, but each gem names will be perfectly fine for a girl name), and most importantly i want to believe that they are girls, just like sailors use "she" for their ship. Doesn't matter if they call themself "boku" or "watashi", some girls in Japan also use "boku".
Niello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
RyuuGP wrote:

About how to call the gems, i will call them "she" because they looks like girls, sound like girls, named like girls (i know those are gems name, but each gem names will be perfectly fine for a girl name), and most importantly i want to believe that they are girls, just like sailors use "she" for their ship. Doesn't matter if they call themself "boku" or "watashi", some girls in Japan also use "boku".

Boku, ore, kare, aniki (and other forms of calling brother) etc.

Definitely has nothing to do with how girls use boku.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9