• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Land of the Lustrous

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InvalidTarget

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Confirmed, this time, Phos and Dia both said Nii-san to Yellow Diamond. PS: Respect for the subbers for still making the "gender" ambiguous.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Damn, poor Amethyst. Ep. 6 was a great episode and it definitely had me wanting to know what happens next in the show now. I hear that the next arc is something fans of the manga especially enjoy a lot, so I’m looking forward to it. I agree with the reviewer that this show is also one of my favorites of the Fall season.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:04 am Reply with quote
Phos has been slowly evolving from being mildly annoying to becoming one of my favourite protagonists of the season. I also love the nuanced characterization of the other gems and really need to know more about Kongo (and this world and its mysteries in general)!
Cross_Yuki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
Loved episode 6 and liking Phos more and more. I find her relatable in the way she tries so hard to achieve her purpose. And how excited she was about her improved legs and the disappointment that came after, when she realized her new legs were not enough to save her partners.

Anyway, my guess on the story is that Phos is on her way to become human. They said that humans muted in 3 subspecies: bone, flesh and soul. Phos has already received a part coming from the flesh and I wonder if she will be inserted at some point part of a lunarian. She was the weakest gem but as human she can become stronger. I would like to see something like this...so curious about what happens next.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:17 am Reply with quote
Soooo Phos keep winning about not being able to help in battle, then she finally get an opportunity to be useful after some god given miracle (run away to call reinforcement) and she just chose to stay there and do nothing...

Yeah I just don't like her.
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:57 am Reply with quote
Am I really the only one who just can't see Phos as being female like...at ALL? When I first read the manga, before I even picked up on the genderless thing I just thought "'oh what a cute boy''. Most of the japanese fans were saying 'Phos-kun' and 'Phos-kyun' as well. Whenever I read a post talking about Phos and then suddenly 'she'or 'her'comes up I always end up blinking and going 'huh?' for a split second. I just can't get used to it.
It makes me wonder if people's refusal to abandon female pronouns is just the fault of the anime, because looking back at the manga they look a good deal less feminine in it, they're more androgynous - even Diamond could easily pass as a slightly more feminine boy.
I know there was a bit of annoyance at how girly they made all the voices.

I personally dont think 'they' sounds unnatural at all, and think its kind of funny when people act like it is because its perfectly natural english that they probably used themselves sometime that very day. ...Like I just did in that sentence. ('who left their wallet here?'' "'I dont know, check inside, if their ID is there we can give it back to them''. No one would blink at that exchange, but when it's used as an intentional pronoun people get weirdly defensive and start bringing up grammar rules as though English isn't a broken mess that makes no sense anyway)

For the gems I'm fine with he (as its what the author used) or they (because they are genderless), but she is just jarring to be honest. If people just don't realize then that's one thing (because I mean the anime -does- make every one a good deal more feminine than they are in the manga, including the voices, although Phos sounds pretty androgynous to me), but when people are told this and decide to use 'she' anyway 'because they look like girls', I dunno, it rubs me the wrong way and comes across as spiteful. Nothing I can do about it though.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Am I really the only one who just can't see Phos as being female like...at ALL? When I first read the manga, before I even picked up on the genderless thing I just thought "'oh what a cute boy''. Most of the japanese fans were saying 'Phos-kun' and 'Phos-kyun' as well. Whenever I read a post talking about Phos and then suddenly 'she'or 'her'comes up I always end up blinking and going 'huh?' for a split second. I just can't get used to it.

No, you're not the only one. And i also don't think it's the anime's fault for making them look "too feminine". But after seeing comments like "i hope they are female and that's why i use female pronouns", i considered arguing to be pointless and so i just silently Rolling Eyes every time i come across a comment like that...
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
It makes me wonder if people's refusal to abandon female pronouns is just the fault of the anime, because looking back at the manga they look a good deal less feminine in it, they're more androgynous - even Diamond could easily pass as a slightly more feminine boy.
I know there was a bit of annoyance at how girly they made all the voices.

I personally dont think 'they' sounds unnatural at all, and think its kind of funny when people act like it is because its perfectly natural english that they probably used themselves sometime that very day. ...Like I just did in that sentence. ('who left their wallet here?'' "'I dont know, check inside, if their ID is there we can give it back to them''. No one would blink at that exchange, but when it's used as an intentional pronoun people get weirdly defensive and start bringing up grammar rules as though English isn't a broken mess that makes no sense anyway)

For the gems I'm fine with he (as its what the author used) or they (because they are genderless), but she is just jarring to be honest. If people just don't realize then that's one thing (because I mean the anime -does- make every one a good deal more feminine than they are in the manga, including the voices, although Phos sounds pretty androgynous to me), but when people are told this and decide to use 'she' anyway 'because they look like girls', I dunno, it rubs me the wrong way and comes across as spiteful. Nothing I can do about it though.

Eh, I can understand some of the arguments against using just "they". Since "they" doesn't differentiate between singular and plural, I've seen comments from people that got legitimately confused, at least at first, about the subject of dialogue in parts of the anime.

I'm personally fine with the current use of "they" and the gem names in place of male pronouns, though I do think it takes away a bit of the flavor of the relationship between the gems when the subs end up cutting out the use of sibling pronouns to keep it gender neutral. Though that's only a minor nitpick from me.
Niello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Can't someone do something about the spelling errors on the encyclopedia page? It's been like that forever and hasn't been changed.

It's Shinsha not Cinsha.
it's also Euclase not Euclace.

Looks like someone really want to mash c on the keyboard.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:13 pm Reply with quote
My god, those are truly the girliest sleepover pajamas ever (thank you, Red Beryl for having good fashion taste)! I actually expected a quick pillow fight among the gems considering how comfy that sleeping arrangement looked.

So yes, that countdown was indeed for the introduction for the oh so dreamy gem Antarcticite. I know these gems can do so crazy acrobatic stunts, but man they can pull it off while wearing stiletto heels ON ICE! Anime dazed

I'm quite amazed how this show seamlessly introduces a new gem and become likable; there hasn't been any gem or character so far that made me groan or think they're a waste of space.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Some of the stricter grammarians get buttblasted because it's technically abusing the third person plural, but people have been doing it since well before anyone cared.
Quote:
On top of their voices and designs, the way the gems move is decidedly feminine, especially when it's been exaggerated as it has. With Kongou there as a contrast, it's almost guaranteed random watcher X would think "girl"; the masculine language easily gets caught in the fact that they're supposed to be genderless.

So yes, based on the preponderance of factors, "she" is as legitimate as anything else.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
1. Antarctite Sad

2. I hope this gets a second season because it's looking like this season won't get through all the current plot.

3. When are we getting a nice thick glossy art book of the concept art? Because dayum.
Mhora

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:54 pm Reply with quote
I knew this would be a amazing show to follow from the start. Nice to see more people picking it up.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost ready to declare Land of the Lustrous to be one of the best 3DCG anime so far. This show just nails the aspect of "yay, you got new abilities, but YOU STILL FAIL!" in a tragic sense.That next episode preview is really going to showcase how much Phos has changed (and frankly, now you can say they are looking more boyish especially the with narrower eyes).
LunaPrecure

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
As a Phos fan, I started to get irritated with her/him in this episode. Antarcticite had to suffer for Phos’ foolishness. I really hope that her/him develops more as a character, instead of blindly making the same mistakes, in the coming episodes. Overall, this series has been a joy to watch. The ending song to this episode, in particular, made me tear up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 5 of 9