• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Land of the Lustrous

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
It was a bit hard in ways to accept this as just Phos, but apparently she spent the majority of winter working to become this new person. Oh, yeah I have kind of instinctively referred as female words to them, although I accept they are not really female. But Phos is looking distinctively more masculine.

They're not females at all. Why you're using "she" is a mystery Confused
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Is it really a mystery to you? Do you honestly not comprehend why someone might perceive them as female rocks?
RyuuGP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:08 am Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

Can we stop this "they, he, or she" debate? It doesn't matter, people call the gems "they" because the gems are genderless, people call the gems "he" because the gems use masculine pronounce to call themself, people call the gems "she" because each gem looks, sounds, and behave like girl. I think everyone can use whatever they want as long as it is understandable.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:22 am Reply with quote
They have just generally looked and sounded feminine. I mean no disrespect over it, and honestly it does not really have much to do with any such sex. Blend S spoiler[has me as much calling Hideri as "she" as the character makes the choice to dress feminine, although there are conflicting elements there.].

Although now I am stopping to think in how Phos seems to have lost a lot of her femininity, and it has been kind of having me reassess how I thought of the character, and perhaps even the others. Or maybe even in terms of their master being clearly masculine, and there is something lost. Although there is the addition of gold on Phos's heels that look like high heels.

I had another strange thought in the episode where all of the gems trying reach at the master and Phos felt kind of similar to what we have seen of the Lunarians when they try and reach at him.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:13 pm Reply with quote
I just started watching and caught up with the show over the weekend. I know this has been an ongoing discussion since before it aired, but
RyuuGP wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

Can we stop this "they, he, or she" debate? It doesn't matter, people call the gems "they" because the gems are genderless, people call the gems "he" because the gems use masculine pronounce to call themself, people call the gems "she" because each gem looks, sounds, and behave like girl. I think everyone can use whatever they want as long as it is understandable.

I agree that everyone should be allowed to use whatever they want, especially since most of the gems seem really boyish to me, except for a few like Dia and Rutile. Antarcticite, who I just called "Ice Boy." Episode 8 was basically me yelling at the screen "Oh, no! Ice Boy!" Very Happy
Yazu13

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
Watching this most recent episode, it's clear now that 3DCG anime CAN be beautiful, but it's on the studio making it to give a fudge. Looking at what happened to Berserk, it's clear that they didn't know what they were doing. It churned out characters that had all of the expression of wet clay, and the movement of a mannequin, yet here in Land of the Lustrous, we see that characters can move and emote with gorgeous results. The studio behind this should be very proud of their work and for possibly making the very first fully 3DCG anime that actually looks fantastic and plays to CG's strengths. The camera work for the scenes in today's episode would have been hell to animate traditionally for starters.
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:43 am Reply with quote
Yazu13 wrote:
Watching this most recent episode, it's clear now that 3DCG anime CAN be beautiful, but it's on the studio making it to give a fudge. Looking at what happened to Berserk, it's clear that they didn't know what they were doing. It churned out characters that had all of the expression of wet clay, and the movement of a mannequin, yet here in Land of the Lustrous, we see that characters can move and emote with gorgeous results. The studio behind this should be very proud of their work and for possibly making the very first fully 3DCG anime that actually looks fantastic and plays to CG's strengths. The camera work for the scenes in today's episode would have been hell to animate traditionally for starters.
It is not nor has it ever been full 3DCG. The show uses a mixture of 3D and 2D animation ranging from cuts that are entirely one or the other, to those that are a combination of the two. It's the same for the backgrounds. The result is a show of a level of quality neither method could accomplish on its own.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
This is definitely my favorite anime of this season! Although everyone watching praises it, it doesn't seem that popular, unfortunately. I hope it continues on after this season and continue to make fantastic use of the CGI - plus, I feel like there are a lot of mysteries in the plot that need to be developed!
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What is “Shiro?” In Japanese it can mean “white,” but if this episode had such an unambiguous interpretation, the title probably would have been translated that way.
The title isn't written in kanji, so I think it's meant to be ambiguous. Other possible meanings beside "white" (白) are "castle/fortress" (城) and the imperative of "to do", i.e. "Do it!" (為ろ, though it's hardly ever actually written in kanji). There's also "substitute/price" (代), but that one's quite outdated and nowadays not really used outside of compound words like 身代金 (minoshirokin, "ransom", literally "money in exchange for the body").

I really loved the camera work in that final third with Dia. The segment with running and hiding from the Lunarian got a lot of suspense out of it, almost feeling like watching someone play a survival horror game, whereas the battle was just brutal.
Niello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:06 pm Reply with quote
^This is the firsts time the episode title doesn't match the actual content. The chapter titled "Shiro" in the manga, which this episode title is named after, covers content that will appear in the upcoming episode where it will be explained.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
The more horror-esque aspects in this episode were fantastic, as was the battle at the end and Dia's reactions during it.

I do wonder if it would have the same effect if it had a different animation style.
Cross_Yuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I come here for some gushing about the amazing episode 10. Shocked
Everyone praised already the cinematography and the fantastic story telling, so I want to point out how good the music was (ep 10 and the rest of the series, btw): it highlighted and enhanced the feels for every scene, the synchronization with the visuals was impressive and the melodies were a perfect fit in every case. The tunes used for the lunarians never fail to give an otherworldly vibe. And there is also this melody that they use in the moments of biggest despair, here when Dia was cornered by the monster (also used in ep 8 when Phos sees how the lunarians are taking Antarc while she is still caged). But my favorite moment in this episode is when Bort decides to run away and throws Phos against the bell. That race gave me the chills thanks to the music; it gives this sense of emergency and impending threat...
Well, all in all, this week's episode was fabulous and I can't wait for next week,...only 2 more to go Sad
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Like everyone else before me have already said, the camera work with Dia in this week’s episode was absolutely phenomenal and the staff did such a great job of making it all feel very suspenseful and engaging. The story continues to intrigue me and makes me sad knowing that there’s only two episodes left in the season. Sad I can only hope a season 2 can be made for this at some point in the future because it truly deserves it.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
How does Bort usually call Dia? 'because I felt that scream of "Onii-chan" was important to the character, but can't for the life of me remember if they called Dia by name or aneki or whatever before that.
Gaebonggie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:07 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I think Phos is a good protagonist but she is bratty, egotistical, and lazy so she is certainly a flawed protagonist. Phos even tries repeatedly to get out of the one job she was given simply because she thinks it is boring. Still that Phos sincerely wants to help Cinnabar does give her a noble purpose.

I think Phos is supposed to be sort of a child/teenager in gems' years, so what we witness is her growing up and becoming an adult. I never thought of her as annoying, she is clumsy but has noble purposes, like when she tries to help Cinnabar. Also, when the other gems call her an idiot (for example when she is appointed master of the Encyclopedia), to me, she comes across as mainly too innocent and naive. And she is lazy the way children are, they just prefer to enjoy other things than to do hard work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9