• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Land of the Lustrous

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
There was something about learning how the gems are born, something I though Kongo was maybe directly responsible for, but that he more finds them and teaches them, that I feel like it has something more about religion. How he fills them up and they worship him.
Merida

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
Damn, this episode broke my heart...and that ED. Crying or Very sad It's amazing how this show manages to make me care so much about a character who only appeared in a couple of episodes.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:39 am Reply with quote
Damn, Antarcticite.. so cool, until the very end Sad

Really curious about the Lunarians' motivations now. Because if they were really interested in "becoming human again" I'm not sure they'd be turning the gems into arrowheads and stuff, and if all they care about is shiny things then why would they ignore what appears to be a huge block of solid gold and take a colourless brittle mineral that melts at room temperature instead? Smile
Cross_Yuki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:49 am Reply with quote
It was heartbreaking to watch Antarcticite fighting till the very end, while she was shattered and destroyed. She must have felt so helpless, seeing how the lunarians fractured her and the cracks appeared during the fight. And she left with a thought for Sensei, asking Phos to take care of him. So sad. Crying or Very sad
Phos' hardships are not better. She could not stop the lunarians from taking Antarc, and will blame herself for not being able to save her. Now she is stronger but also has a bigger burden to carry. I will miss the cheerful Phos.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:09 am Reply with quote
Damn, like others who have said before me, Episode 8 really had me feeling sad. That ED got to me. Sad I wonder how exactly Phos will change mentally going forward.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:59 am Reply with quote
vonPeterhof wrote:
Really curious about the Lunarians' motivations now.

It seems to me like they're just trying to get to Kongo through the gems, for whatever reason. They haven't attacked him directly so far, have they?
lebrel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:20 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:

It seems to me like they're just trying to get to Kongo through the gems, for whatever reason. They haven't attacked him directly so far, have they?

It seems to me to be more that they see Kongo as keeping them from getting at the gems. In the latest episode, when the Lunarians are tying him up with mist, he says something on the lines of "you will never be able to hold me back".

What the Lunarians want with the gems is pretty unclear. They don't seem to have any problem breaking them up or making them into weapons, but they did try to take Phos intact (well, kind of intact...). They do seem to be after the gems as entities rather than simply as sparkly things; they weren't interested in the pieces of the proto-gem that failed to be born.
Niello

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
Looking back, I think it's very apparent from the way they handled comedic timings that they're going to nail the time for important tragedy scene like this too. This anime is really fortunate to have whoever are involved in that on board.

The unfortunate part is the sub. I've always dislike it when important moments that interrupt a character speech get a sub that shows just that. It warns you several seconds ahead that something not good is going to go down and waters down the surprise.

killjoy_the wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:

That's because sensei is Saitama. Smile
Zeino

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:51 am Reply with quote
This was phenomenal. Every aspect was wonderfully handled as the episode built to its devastating conclusion. Studio Orange continuing to bring their A game this far into the series speaks highly of both their excellent planning and hardworking staff. At this point, it might easily beat out Magus Bride for top spot of the season.

It'll be a real shame if this doesn't sell because it's clear as crystal they're passionate about this project and making the manga's story shine through animation.

killjoy_the wrote:
vonPeterhof wrote:

Having read ahead in the manga now, let just say the Lunarians bowing down and reaching out to touch Kongo like an object of worship provides a clue to this.
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
This show just continually raises the bar with each new episode and 8 had me at the edge of my seat the whole way through. Absolutely fantastic storytelling and as someone else mentioned, credit to the show for making me completely invested in Antarcticite in just a couple episodes. Such a heartbreaking episode but I can't wait to see where it goes next. Barring a major collapse in the final third, this is easily going to be the anime of the season and possibly even anime of the year for me.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I picked a good week to catch up on this. I do think it started out a bit slowly, but the last 3 episodes have just flown by in comparison. In retrospect, those early episodes also helped build the impact later.

I'll also add to those invested in Antarcticite in just two episodes. I think it's largely how well they contrast with Phos, given their respective hardness levels and how they respond to them, as well as how Antarcticite plays into the storyline otherwise. Phos could be becoming more confident with their own abilities and Antarcticite-like, but it seems like instead the opposite is happening as they keep on getting new body attachments from other sources and (if episode 7's ending was any indication) wanting an easier way to become stronger... Which makes sense given what happened to the Amethyst twins and how the contrast with Antarcticite made them feel. If this is the case, I imagine this episode's ending won't help that at all...

The memory bit is interesting as well. The idea of losing their memory seemed horrifying to Antarcticite, but Phos doesn't seem nearly as frightened of that, even though I'm sure there are things Phos doesn't want to forget, such as Cinnabar.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9 was another stellar one in an already very engaging show. When Phos didn’t remember Cinnabar, I agree with the reviewer that it had me feeling like being punched in the gut. Sad Tomoyo Kurosawa does such a great performance voicing Phos that I can’t imagine any other seiyuu doing nearly as good as a job as she’s been doing throughout this series. I sincerely hope that this series does well in Japan because it certainly deserves it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Ok, NOW we can comment how Phos is looking more boyish than before! Surprised

This episode really takes the ol' "haircut as character development" to extremes because man, I am just not used to Phos' new facial look. So props on this episode on really selling that. Hopefully Phos will get out of their funk.

If Sentai Filmworks plans on dubbing this, they really REALLY need to bring their A-game on the casting and voice acting because this is probably Tomoyo Kurosawa's best role since Kumiko from Euphonium.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
It was a bit hard in ways to accept this as just Phos, but apparently she spent the majority of winter working to become this new person. Oh, yeah I have kind of instinctively referred as female words to them, although I accept they are not really female. But Phos is looking distinctively more masculine.
Silent_Ninja

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

If Sentai Filmworks plans on dubbing this, they really REALLY need to bring their A-game on the casting and voice acting because this is probably Tomoyo Kurosawa's best role since Kumiko from Euphonium.

Agreed. This show has the best voice acting this season and Sentai better not mess up the dub because it's a show that deserves a great one. Can't help but worry it won't happen as I consider most of Sentai's dubs to be subpar and only a few to be actually great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9