• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny English Dub Reveals More Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
MadHi wrote:

I don't know what you're talking about, at one point everyone was debating over whether Wing or SEED was the better series. SEED was anything but a failure, that includes Gundam SEED Destiny. They have their naysayers whom to this day won't stop bitching about them, mostly UC elitist/purists (for God's sake, it's okay to not like GS or GSD but it's been bloody almost 15 years!! We've had a bunch of Gundam series and OVA's since then. GET OVER IT! Even bitching about AGE now is too long of a grudge to hold).

Seed in the States:
1) Shuffled into the late night slot/dead air slot
2) Had edits out the ass, even in said slot
3) The Seed line of Bandai's releases of the toys/models didn't do too well, iirc.
4) Didn't air Destiny AT ALL
5) No reruns, iirc.

SEED in Canada:
1) Uncut
2) Early slot on YTV's Bionix for the majority of its initial run (AKA Prime Time for the Block)
3) Marathon of the final stretch (IE Archangel vs Dominion, vs Zala, Genesis, etc)
4) 4 and a half complete runs of the show
5) Did well enough for them to air Destiny, once again uncut (Yes, even the Meer and Athrun bed scene)

I'd kind of consider that a bomb.

Levonr wrote:

According to Stephanie Sheh: "So I think with SEED they’re looking at some older titles that were fan favorites, and when they did the Canadian dub in the past, Sunrise didn’t have much input on the script, casting, acting, etc. So since Unicorn, Sunrise has had a lot more input on the dub process and they like that. So they wanted to do that again with this re-dub of SEED."

Which is hilarious considering the Japanese cast clearly didn't give a crap with regards to post Episode 38 of Destiny and the dub actually seems to give some semblance of a care. Its especially obvious when you read the interviews that came out after Destiny ended.

Suzumura outright dislikes Shinn's portrayal in the show yet absolutely loves the character when he gets proper focus. In the SRW Z Tryout magazine, he basically said that the character that he believed he was playing in the show didn't end up being a thing whatsoever .
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
WeirDiE_InC wrote:

Again, I have hard time believing this. In all, it's almost a hundred episodes of a saga with a notorious reputation. I can't see this being a mainstay on Toonami (for over a year) unless they burn through it quickly.

Yeah its pretty unlikely but not impossible. Times have changed, that was a long time ago. Toonami at that time was really terrible, moved to late Saturday and really seem like they lost their fanbase. It was nothing like Toonami's heyday when Wing aired. I blame how the show was handled which was poorly. Gundam SEED also had the most silly edits I've seen for a Gundam, I had to stop watching and just buy the DVDs. Gundam has recently been doing good on Toonami/Adult Swim and would probably do even better than Hunter x Hunter which is even longer. The issue however is IBO season 2 just started airing so having two Gundam at the same time might not interest them and it will be a while before that ends.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:52 pm Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
Lisa Ortiz was about the last person I expected to play Natarle Badgiruel. I really, really hope this choice works out because Ortiz's typical voice would work for Natarle like oil mixes with water.

That being said, Trevor Duvall not returning as Mu La Flaga is disappointing, but I can't say I didn't expect him to be recast too.

Overall, much like the first cast release, this is an interesting mix of newer and veteran names, including a few VAs I've never heard of. This ought to be a really interesting dub.

its probably cause duvall have retired since i haven't seen him in any anime roles after seed destiny.

and ortiz voicing natarle wasnt surprising to me.

if you have seen the winx club on which she voiced for over 4+ seasons, it was more or less an obvious choice!

but the real question is HOW in the holy high hell their gonna make this work???

for one thing, she is expected to do a voice role for the dub version of right stuff's ARIA kickstarter project, and headline studio is right where i live in New York City! i expect that the dubbing studio for seed & seed destiny will be in LA since most of these cast live there, so unless sunrise is paying for her flight expenses , i really cant see thing working out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Levonr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:

but the real question is HOW in the holy high hell their gonna make this work???

for one thing, she is expected to do a voice role for the dub version of right stuff's ARIA kickstarter project, and headline studio is right where i live in New York City! i expect that the dubbing studio for seed & seed destiny will be in LA since most of these cast live there, so unless sunrise is paying for her flight expenses , i really cant see thing working out.

Its NYAV Post which have two studio's. One in New York and another in LA.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
BigHeadClan wrote:
What sacrilege is this~! The Gundam dubs have always been really solid, was it really that hard to get most of the cast to return?

It's not like this is a new series with a deadline it's simply a HD re-release with a few extra scenes. lol

Really? Have you seen the MS Gundam movie trilogy dub that was only released on VHS? That should be on MST3K.
I thought most of Ocean & Blue Waters Gundam dub were poor to mixed, the only one I thought was solid overall was Gundam 00. All watchable but didn't blow me away.

Its not that simply, they also re-animated mouth flaps as well. So no matter what they had to dub it again. I don't see how its sacrilege when its really nothing special. Yes its got a few great voices but most of it is weak.

Past ANN reviews:
"The English cast is acceptable, if not somewhat bland. There's no such nod to past Gundam efforts to be had here, and nobody really stands out. It's a functional dub that really won't win any attention, either positive or negative." - animenewsnetwork.com/review/gundam-seed-destiny/dvd-1

"Given the popularity of the franchise, Bandai's dub for the series is a disappointment. It has its strengths—it's immensely faithful—and some of the performances, particularly Mark Oliver's brief reprise of his role as Rau le Creuset and Samuel Vincent's more mature Athrun, are quite strong, but the work as a whole is brought down by Matt Hill's performance as Kira, along with a general softness in the cast as a whole."
animenewsnetwork.com/review/gundam-seed-destiny-final-plus/dvd

I have to admit I'm not a fan of a lot of dubbed Gundam shows, I guess maybe Wing was about it purely out of nostalgia and maybe Seed. But certain other shows I don't like the English dubbing to them at all, Stardust Memory I think was one of those. The original show had decent dubbing and so did Char's Counterattack if I could remember, not stellar though and it could always be improved. I guess I'm not a big fan of Brad Swaile either.
And I've never heard the Original Trilogy Dub besides brief snips of Steve Blum's Char Aznable.

I thought the Unicorn dub was pretty good though, the IBO one I didn't like much besides maybe Johnny Yong Bosch.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:40 am; edited 1 time in total
macattack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Yeah its pretty unlikely but not impossible. Times have changed, that was a long time ago. Toonami at that time was really terrible, moved to late Saturday and really seem like they lost their fanbase. It was nothing like Toonami's heyday when Wing aired. I blame how the show was handled which was poorly. Gundam SEED also had the most silly edits I've seen for a Gundam, I had to stop watching and just buy the DVDs. Gundam has recently been doing good on Toonami/Adult Swim and would probably do even better than Hunter x Hunter which is even longer. The issue however is IBO season 2 just started airing so having two Gundam at the same time might not interest them and it will be a while before that ends.

Toonami at the time actually wasn't terrible, the 2004 move to Saturday nights was an attempt to revitalize the block by making it a once a week deal and airing a bunch of premieres by spreading them out more instead of going thru chunks every single day. Toonami going down the toilet didn't really happen until 2007 when the block stagnated and the new people in charge of CN decided Toonami had become expendable and was to be phased out. That being said, SEED was largely out of Toonami's hands, and Bandai was the one forcing the edits like the orange laser guns out of a desire to make the series look more kid friendly.

Gundam IBO was doing okay, Unicorn has kind of been hovering on borderline marginal, but neither show "bombed" in any sense. SEED & SEED Destiny are not favorites of Jason DeMarco though, and he's the one controlling the block's lineup more than anyone else at the moment. Unless he really wants to run a Gundam, the SEED & SEED Destiny Remasters are unlikely IMO.

Off-topic, I did check out Echidna and while I wouldn't call that a deep commanding voice I do think it's more befitting of Natarle than Lisa Ortiz's typical voice.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:

Toonami at the time actually wasn't terrible, the 2004 move to Saturday nights was an attempt to revitalize the block by making it a once a week deal and airing a bunch of premieres by spreading them out more instead of going thru chunks every single day. Toonami going down the toilet didn't really happen until 2007 when the block stagnated and the new people in charge of CN decided Toonami had become expendable and was to be phased out. That being said, SEED was largely out of Toonami's hands, and Bandai was the one forcing the edits like the orange laser guns out of a desire to make the series look more kid friendly.

Gundam IBO was doing okay, Unicorn has kind of been hovering on borderline marginal, but neither show "bombed" in any sense. SEED & SEED Destiny are not favorites of Jason DeMarco though, and he's the one controlling the block's lineup more than anyone else at the moment. Unless he really wants to run a Gundam, the SEED & SEED Destiny Remasters are unlikely IMO.

Seed suffered the same hack censorship Outlaw Star got during it's run on Toonami. We really don't know what will happen, Toonami might actually decide to air the remaster versions as a second attempt at gaining some popularity out of the show. Stranger things have happen, they might attempt it. But hey if you know this DeMarco guy personally hates these shows enough not to show them.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:

Seed suffered the same hack censorship Outlaw Star got during it's run on Toonami. We really don't know what will happen, Toonami might actually decide to air the remaster versions as a second attempt at gaining some popularity out of the show. Stranger things have happen, they might attempt it. But hey if you know this DeMarco guy personally hates these shows enough not to show them.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:15 am Reply with quote
Honestly, my money for the most likely Gundam series to end up on Toonami after IBO at this point would be Gundam 00. And there's no better time since it's the 10th anniversary and I feel that Sunrise and RightStuf wouldn't pass up the opportunity to do a special release in the next 14 months.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:

Toonami at the time actually wasn't terrible, the 2004 move to Saturday nights was an attempt to revitalize the block by making it a once a week deal and airing a bunch of premieres by spreading them out more instead of going thru chunks every single day. Toonami going down the toilet didn't really happen until 2007 when the block stagnated and the new people in charge of CN decided Toonami had become expendable and was to be phased out.

Well I recall hating Toonami back then. Its been a while but that was when I stopped watching Toonami. Unless it was Dragon Ball or Naruto anime seem to fail. Rave Master, Astro Boy 2003, D.I.C.E., Zatch Bell!, One Piece, The Prince of Tennis, MAR and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo I assume all failed compared to Western cartoons. I just remember mostly Teen Titans, Megas XLR, Jackie Chan Adventures and other CN originals and then Dragon Ball GT & Gundam SEED slapped on at the very end of the block. I really do think they lost a lot of their fanbase and that could be a reason Gundam SEED failed. Its not like what Toonami is today.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

Well I recall hating Toonami back then. Its been a while but that was when I stopped watching Toonami. Unless it was Dragon Ball or Naruto anime seem to fail. Rave Master, Astro Boy 2003, D.I.C.E., Zatch Bell!, One Piece, The Prince of Tennis, MAR and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo I assume all failed compared to Western cartoons. I just remember mostly Teen Titans, Megas XLR, Jackie Chan Adventures and other CN originals and then Dragon Ball GT & Gundam SEED slapped on at the very end of the block. I really do think they lost a lot of their fanbase and that could be a reason Gundam SEED failed. Its not like what Toonami is today.

Well honestly can't blame them with GT, GT was pretty sorry stuff anyway, there's a reason why I don't remember that show from childhood very well. One Piece was another victim of censorship thanks to being handled by 4kids.
I remember watching Hack// Roots on Cartoon Network, but that was I think after Toonami folded and it was late at night relatively.

Note: I apologize for the repeat comments above me, didn't realize I had pushed the submit button too many times and now a comment of mine repeated itself, somehow can't delete the copy either apparently.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:

I remember watching Hack// Roots on Cartoon Network, but that was I think after Toonami folded and it was late at night relatively.

Wiki: "In North America, the series started airing on Saturday, November 11, 2006 at 5:00am EST on Cartoon Network, with no prior advertising or announcements given whatsoever. Due to the last few episodes containing spoilers for games not yet released in North America, Cartoon Network chose to restart the series at Episode #1 after only 21 episodes were broadcast, leaving the last five unaired."

Laughing I think that was treated even worse than Gundam SEED (edits aside). CN was obviously not as interested in anime around these times.
macattack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:

Partially true, partially not.

Rave Master and Astro Boy both did fail, and DICE outright bombed. Zatch Bell! was actually a success but the dub fell behind schedule and ZB went on hiatus, and it was never brought back on-air for whatever reason. The 4kids edit of One Piece actually did quite well, and so did the FUNi dub when it took over, but it was a victim of CN changing priorities. The Prince of Tennis and MAR were screwed by the episodes airing out of order; MAR did pretty well on Toonami Jetstream though where it did "air" in order. Bobobo actually did quite well and completed its run on Toonami, though it never reran.

Toonami's anime at the time, like its Western shows, were mixed bags when it came to quality and success. That's what happens in children's programming. But as CN's priorities changed the network stopped being tolerant of the mixture of failures and successes, and soon not even Naruto, which was still pulling down #1 ratings, was good enough for them. They canned Naruto shortly after canning Toonami, just ten episodes or so before the show would have concluded.

(As for why, CN wanted a substantially higher percentage of merchandise sales and Viz said no. Or so I've heard. Until DeMarco or someone else can actually give an answer I think there'll always be an aura of mystery about it.)

As for how Gundam SEED did, it actually did okay at first, but ratings slipped and they moved it to Friday nights at 1 AM EST, where apparently it actually did pretty well, well enough that they reran it in that slot until the rights expired.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Shame. I had hoped that at least some old VA would return. Nope. Le Creuset's new voice won't match the original dub, that one was a good performance. Even Trevor Devall wasn't brought back despite being in LA and openly commenting how much he loved doing La Flaga.

I'll buy this because I love SEED, but for the first time in my life I will most likely stick to subs. How disappointing.
Levonr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

I'll buy this because I love SEED, but for the first time in my life I will most likely stick to subs. How disappointing.

Thats what I've been doing for many years, the Japanese cast is amazing & the Ocean dub not so much. It will be nice to watch it dubbed for a change and NYAV makes some great recent dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5