• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed Destiny English Dub Reveals More Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
The Gundam franchise has a mixed history in the USA. What was it about "Gundam Wing" that made that Gundam entry so successful?
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:20 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
The Gundam franchise has a mixed history in the USA. What was it about "Gundam Wing" that made that Gundam entry so successful?

It was the first Gundam on TV during Toonami's heyday. 5:30PM right after DBZ, daily after school. To the West this was something new. Gundam Wing was really great to those that never seen Gundam or any mecha even.
Wing was my favorite show, until I watched other Gundam and realize just how dumb Wing really is Razz It pales in comparison to most Gundam but that didn't really matter.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
^This!

In my case however, It was Gundam Wing on Toonami that pushed me to avoid Gundam in general for over a decade because of how terribly boring it was. Rolling Eyes

I didn't really get into Gundam until I blind-bought G on DVD in 2011 because of all the stories I heard about how different it was from the others. I ended up enjoying that series a lot and have since been picking up only a select few Gundams like X & Build Fighters. Haven't touched any of the UC shows though I might eventually get Victory since the stories of Tomino's state of mind back then has me interested.

As for Seed, the only thing I wonder about with this new dub is how they will handle Kira's crying scene. It was infamous in the Japanese TV & special edition versions for being hilariously bad and in the old dub, they didn't bother copying it due to mostly happening off-screen so what will NYAV do here? Laughing
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

As for Seed, the only thing I wonder about with this new dub is how they will handle Kira's crying scene. It was infamous in the Japanese TV & special edition versions for being hilariously bad and in the old dub, they didn't bother copying it due to mostly happening off-screen so what will NYAV do here? Laughing

Matt Hill specifically asked to be kicked in the balls for that actually. I believe it was one of the Gundamn podcasts that brought that up.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:

Well for starters it didn't look horribly outdated, have a bleh or outright unlikable/annoying
cast of characters or was animated in CG.....like SD Gundam. Also in spite of being dark like typical Gundam series it didn't needlessly screw over most of it's cast.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Well for starters it didn't look horribly outdated, have a bleh or outright unlikable/annoying
cast of characters or was animated in CG.....like SD Gundam. Also in spite of being dark like typical Gundam series it didn't needlessly screw over most of it's cast.

Relena not unlikable/annoying? Heero keep saying he will kill characters but saves them instead. Wufei talking about honor yet killing soldiers in their sleep, talking down to women and being a trader. Quatre destroyed a colony when he was meant to save the colony. Trowa was bleh, nothing about him.
The only likeable guy was Duo so it was no surprise he was a fan favorite.
It had lots of mecha action, that is a strong appeal. It wasn't really this depressing war story, it was robots kicking ass.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

It was the first Gundam on TV during Toonami's heyday. 5:30PM right after DBZ, daily after school. To the West this was something new. Gundam Wing was really great to those that never seen Gundam or any mecha even.
Wing was my favorite show, until I watched other Gundam and realize just how dumb Wing really is Razz It pales in comparison to most Gundam but that didn't really matter.

I guess I couldn't say that as much since I watched the last season of IBO and found that to be dumber. Wing actually did have a pretty good Char Clone in it with Zechs, sorry I just like his character a lot better than McGillis. Yes Wing is no touch on the original UC shows but I enjoy it enough to keep watching it and I like Endless Waltz.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Relena not unlikable/annoying? Heero keep saying he will kill characters but saves them instead. Wufei talking about honor yet killing soldiers in their sleep, talking down to women and being a trader. Quatre destroyed a colony when he was meant to save the colony. Trowa was bleh, nothing about him.
It had lots of mecha action, that is a strong appeal. It wasn't really this depressing war story, it was robots kicking ass.

If I could remember Wufei was kind of the assh##e of the show wasn't he? I mean this is the same guy who does what he does in Endless Waltz. Quatre was actually emotionally bothered by what he did and showed remorse in the show. Heero yes, he was a crazy killing machine guy with no emotions. Trowa was with the circus and was an acrobat.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^This!

I apologize but where did it get stated that Kira's crying was infamous for being hilariously bad? Was there Japanese fans that talked about it somewhere? All I ever remember was the show was popular in Japan but not here in the US.
Levonr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:24 am Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:

I apologize but where did it get stated that Kira's crying was infamous for being hilariously bad? Was there Japanese fans that talked about it somewhere? All I ever remember was the show was popular in Japan but not here in the US.

I remember many making fun of his crying after watching the fansubs. His crying was pretty funny in Japanese, at least for one scene I recall.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

I remember many making fun of his crying after watching the fansubs. His crying was pretty funny in Japanese, at least for one scene I recall.

Ah, OK, then fair enough, I was never aware of it.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:

This is the cry in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWjfbUfcJUM

The hilarious thing is that Sunrise had a far less amusing take on the line and decided against recycling it.

I have no idea if it became the butt of jokes in Japan.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Codeanime93 wrote:

This is the cry in question: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWjfbUfcJUM

The hilarious thing is that Sunrise had a far less amusing take on the line and decided against recycling it.

I have no idea if it became the butt of jokes in Japan.

Well yes I think I can see what people are talking about here.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
Relena not unlikable/annoying?

Compared to characters like Quess/Hathaway or the three orphans from the first Gundam not even remotely close

Levonr wrote:
Heero keep saying he will kill characters but saves them instead.

Given the cast would look drastically different if he actually followed through on those threats? can't hold that against him.

Levonr wrote:
Wufei talking about honor yet killing soldiers in their sleep,

Soldiers who were apart of organization that wasn't above threatening or killing civilians for personal gain.

Levonr wrote:
and being a trader.

....If you're referring to what I think you're referring to you might as well have the same problem with Trowa and Heero's brief stints with Oz and Relena also colluding with the same people who got her father killed.

Levonr wrote:
Quatre destroyed a colony when he was meant to save the colony.

Was it intentional like Char trying to drop a asteroid on the earth?

Levonr wrote:

Well sure if you overlook his gullibility that leads to Heero jacking parts from his Gundam (and this is after he breaks Heero out of captivity) which I guess was partial payback for shooting Heero in the arm Razz
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Levonr wrote:
Relena not unlikable/annoying?

Compared to characters like Quess/Hathaway or the three orphans from the first Gundam not even remotely close

Zeta and ZZ had two annoying little brats in it as well that Char had to bring along and leave in Bright's care. And I mean I actually find them worse than the three orphans from the first show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5