• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Anime-Gataris

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Shirobako certainly came to mind, with it I think it having some fun at its own creative process.

Part of me was wondering where they really needed to create an anime, not really part of what an anime club would do. Rather I thought it maybe would be more if created something like a break down analysis of an anime, or genre within anime, or really the sort of thing they do within the show like about parts of the community. Would have been great if they had pictures of their activities to show, including with a fellow fan from China.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure why they felt the "antagonism" was necessary even. Considering what the girls did at the start of Shirobako, I don't feel like it would have been THAT out of line for one of the members (most likely Alice) to just decide to do an anime anyway. At least then, the StuCo shutting down collaboration with other clubs could've been more organic.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
So i guess it's been confirmed now that Minoa's dad was once in the anime club and they also made an anime back then which explains why nobody but her can remember that anime from her childhood. I felt a bit bad for dad, though since he really seemed to want to voice "Man A". Laughing
reanimator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:38 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Shirobako certainly came to mind, with it I think it having some fun at its own creative process.

Part of me was wondering where they really needed to create an anime, not really part of what an anime club would do. Rather I thought it maybe would be more if created something like a break down analysis of an anime, or genre within anime, or really the sort of thing they do within the show like about parts of the community. Would have been great if they had pictures of their activities to show, including with a fellow fan from China.

Because anime clubs in real life is full of unproductive people who can't come up with anything creative in wider sense? it's like asking why college film clubs are making their own independent films instead of just watching a bunch of movies and call it a day.

Nowadays, anyone obsessed can write about impressions, analysis, and activities on blogs and social media easily. That's not particularly an accomplishment to boast about and not even interesting.

One reason why this fictional anime club is being persecuted by Student Council is the perception that anime club is not known for producing anything substantial other than wasting time and budget on watching cartoons and socializing.

Why should anime club limits itself as a social club that only watches cartoons and call it a day?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:23 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
Nowadays, anyone obsessed can write about impressions, analysis, and activities on blogs and social media easily. That's not particularly an accomplishment to boast about and not even interesting.

One reason why this fictional anime club is being persecuted by Student Council is the perception that anime club is not known for producing anything substantial other than wasting time and budget on watching cartoons and socializing.

Why should anime club limits itself as a social club that only watches cartoons and call it a day?

But that is misplaced. I take in quite a lot of work by people that are things like analysis of anime, such a thing is arguably a creative project that is worth some credit. This review itself is as such.

Giving an example would be something like the YouTube channel; Mother's Basement, you would be surprised what can be gleamed a breakdown of an anime OP alone. Or say a look at just a few aspects of what makes a particular show amazing. Some research into the creative process, or a change in trends. They are the anime club, and it is not like they are exactly given resources for "anime creation", but that is hardly the only thing that can be created under their club mission statement.

I imagine simply an abridging of a story, or really anything you could catch as a YouTube video could be in line of creation, and more in line of what their club's activities are. You don't force a history club to create history, a cycling club to create bicycles, or even a computer club to create a full computer.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
That was the GREATEST "our club made an amateur anime" episode EVER. If ONLY because that is exactly what an amateur anime (especially one made in that short a time period by people with no known animation or even ART background) would look like. (and yes, the mom's "background noise" in some of the dialog is absolutely perfect too) If Shirobako (which got a pitch perfect shout out) is the love letter to the anime industry, this episode really is a love letter to anime FANS, especially the dreamers that want to make their own anime. I LOVE that it doesn't make the dreamers feel inadequate by having a pro-looking work come out of their slapdash efforts, but instead a HILARIOUSLY non-professional short animation was made, janky animation and all. (the SLOW laser beam was a personal favorite)

Bravo Anime Gataris, take a well deserved bow for that one.
Nate148

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:02 pm Reply with quote
fyi amuro is from mobile suit gundam, not gundam wing.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
While Dad quotes Amuro from Gundam Wing

???

What??

Seriously, what!!??

I think someone has their UC and AC timelines crossed somewhere.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Gundam error has been corrected.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:54 pm Reply with quote
I love the continued little references to anime.

If you thought that the episode generally had some Love Live like elements, I think that it actually directly started with them. How it did the "last time on Anime Gataris" segment at the beginning of the episode actually felt like a reference to Love Live that you could have easily missed, both in how it was generally done, but I think the music was also in line with some of the other pieces it has done that referenced other series.

And how the episode ended, in the karaoke bar, I think that it might have been a reference a show it has done a little before which itself referenced anime, Lucky Star. I think Lucky Star is kind of known for its opening dance, but the endings tended to have the characters sing a different song as we watched from the karaoke hallway. It might not necessarily be a reference, but I think the show should at least be aware of the fact.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:41 am Reply with quote
I was ridiculously pleased to get confirmation that Dad was at Comiket. Smile And my fave title was Ace of Bench.

"Space Girl Magical Robot Travels to Another World, Where She Sings and Dances, but in the End She Ascends to Heaven and the Two Are United” - what two? The only two ascending were the guys. Laughing

Loved the slow laser beam and the transformation sequence, which was nicely done. Also the magical shield was amazing.

I'm sure it wasn't intended, but I couldn't help but imagine that the dubbing at the beginning was how Asta's seiyuu in Black Clover ended up doing his lines that way.

Yui [shouting]: My name is Yuirin, a magician that loves explosions! [shouting louder] My name...!! [even louder] My name...!!! Is this right? Oh, what if I add some shouting? [higher pitched shouting] My name is...!!!! [random scream] ...Yuirin!!!!!!!!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:46 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Yui [shouting]: My name is Yuirin, a magician that loves explosions! [shouting louder] My name...!! [even louder] My name...!!! Is this right? Oh, what if I add some shouting? [higher pitched shouting] My name is...!!!! [random scream] ...Yuirin!!!!!!!!

For some reason that reminds me of some video I have seen.
This one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RXomI65nek
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I agree that they were poking fun at Asta voice acting in Black Clover.

No comment about how the mom said "Don't tell lies dear" after he said even her wife has never hit him, she looks so calm and peaceful, but we know how she must be in private Anime hyper
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
The thing about the show's shtick that bothers me is how they drop hints and plot points and then make no effort to show that Minoa or anyone ever even heard them.

I'm a talking cat... that's nice
Keep that room closed... whatever
what a mysterious red beret... what beret?
and of course...
Hey, here are renderings of an anime only Minoa has seen hidden in a club room
...lets just not even try to put 1 +1 together and realize Minoa's otaku dad was in the club that made that anime because that would mess with the BIG REVEAL that he can tell everyone just about everything that we need to know.

It can be so fun when they just have fun with anime but instead the decision was made to create a big mystery that is badly executed and that no one cares about.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Hard to figure out so far what might be happening, but I feel worth putting in a kind of crazy theory. That maybe some of the characters are aware that this is an anime, and that the club can be like a centre point of how the anime or their reality works. So far it had been pretty grounded as just normal anime club activities, but they opened Pandora's box in gaining popularity with the rest of the school, spreading anime tropes around, they already had tropes, but now they have too many. Nakano perhaps decided to try and return things back to normal by sabotaging the club. Kind of wondering to find out if the anime she saw as a kid was not quite an anime, but their reality being bent earlier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6