• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Anime-Gataris

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
(Though they can show the cast of Time Travel Girl in the background of a crowd shot, apparently.)

What, they did?! I missed it, and I am a pretty big fan of that show. Which I think they can show because it is by the same studio, why they also mentioned specifics of it earlier on.

But there were a few mentions of little golden series, like I think Ange Visual was a reference to Ange Vierge, which I also really like.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:45 am Reply with quote
Man, episode 5 was such a fun episode. The episode title definitely describes how I felt at the end in that I hope Beibei shows up again in the show later on. I’ve only been to one anime convention before up to now (AX 2017), but Anime-gataris did a very good job of capturing some of the same feelings I went through during that time. Quite the cheerful show by anime fans, for anime fans. Smile
lebrel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
Lauren wrote:
There was a weird moment when Minoa's sister told their parents where Minoa was going, and Dad got a spark in his spectacles and said he'd be busy tomorrow too—though we never saw him again.

relyat08 wrote:
On the topic of Minoa's Dad possibly being there. Lending credence to that is the line not just that he was going to be gone that day, but he also used a pretty similar excuse to Minoa, that he was meeting up with friends by the sea. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see if they do anything with that.

Dad doesn't know Minoa's going to Comiket; her sister told him the club was going to the "sea festival" in [location I forget], because that's what she understood from talking to Minoa (who at that point didn't know she was going to Comiket either). His reaction struck me as the "my baby is going somewhere with a boy, I must defend her" over-protective dad thing; we'll see where the show goes with it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:

relyat08 wrote:
On the topic of Minoa's Dad possibly being there. Lending credence to that is the line not just that he was going to be gone that day, but he also used a pretty similar excuse to Minoa, that he was meeting up with friends by the sea. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see if they do anything with that.

Dad doesn't know Minoa's going to Comiket; her sister told him the club was going to the "sea festival" in [location I forget], because that's what she understood from talking to Minoa (who at that point didn't know she was going to Comiket either). His reaction struck me as the "my baby is going somewhere with a boy, I must defend her" over-protective dad thing; we'll see where the show goes with it.

Odaiba is the place. Right, I was talking about a comment made about a minute later in the episode, where Minoa's sister notes that their Dad will be "with friends at the sea". I guess maybe that could be part of his plan to protect her, but it seemed like plans that he had for a while. Also, I don't think he knows she will be with a boy, and he knows she's in the anime club. But I could be wrong, I suppose.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
I like the optimistic tone of the show and while it might be wearing rose tinted glasses it is nice to see a show that is about characters talking about anime. This show is not interested in criticizing it so much as it is about celebrating it. I also enjoy the continuing references to RuZero and the conversation about near simultaneous international releases due to online streaming.

lebrel wrote:
My guess is that he is secretly an otaku due to the way he has reacted when anime has been mentioned in previous episodes and that he was just reminded about Comiket that he and his friends were planning to go to. Also we are likely to get some flasbacks about that later on in the show.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, as soon as he reacted to "Odaiba" I was thinking, "She doesn't know it's not-Comiket, but Dad sure does." At that point, I thought it might just be that he was recalling his own nerdy days, but when it turned out he was going with friends the next day, I thought his flinch was because he was worried about being seen there and outed as an otaku.

And after going back to find the Time Travel Girls, I think her dad was there, right in plain sight - as the staff otaku outside. You'd think Minoa would've recognized his voice, but maybe the out-of-context factor and the megaphone would throw her off. What do you think?

Maybe they just like that style and color of frames though. Smile

As for the TT Girls, Waka is clearly visible behind Mutsuki, the guy in pink Erika was talking to. Mari is mostly obscured, but she was in a blink-and-you-miss-it crowd scene just before that (right after KaiKai exits stage left).

DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Her dad secretly being an otaku (anime fan) might explain how she saw some sort of obscure anime that current young fans would not know what it was.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:59 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Her dad secretly being an otaku (anime fan) might explain how she saw some sort of obscure anime that current young fans would not know what it was.
Damn, I had already completely forgotten about that plot point Very Happy

While I have been to the summer Comiket two years ago, I didn't get the whole experience as shown in the episode, as my companions and I decided to follow the guidebook's recommendation for first-timers and arrive closer to noon rather than before the opening. Besides, we weren't looking for any specific doujins or pieces of merch anyway (didn't help that due to my poor trip planning we had to miss the one day when the only doujin circles I had any interest in were scheduled to appear). But yeah, even without the hours-long wait at the front gate, the lines to some of the industry booths were massive (yet incredibly well-managed!) and the heat was pretty awful. I still have the paper fan I was given for free as promotion for the Studio Shaft 40th anniversary Madogatari exhibition, and it was a lifesaver for me that summer.

Unfortunately I couldn't take the guidebook back with me as a memento, due to extremely limited luggage space. One curious thing I remember from there is that the section aimed at foreign visitors contained a passage saying something to the effect that the Comiket and the doujin culture in general originally started out as a very limited and close-knit community, and that while that may no longer be the case one should be aware that some vendors might refuse to sell their doujins to people they perceive as outsiders to that community. Hmm...

I have no idea how I failed to recognize Kana Hanazawa as the voice of Beibei..
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:23 pm Reply with quote
^It took me a second to notice it was KanaHana as well, to be honest. She has pretty solid range, and her faux accent threw me off for a bit. I've been listening to too many Monogatari Drama CDs lately too, where her voice is completely different than some of her more recent work, like this.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
You'd think Minoa would've recognized his voice, but maybe the out-of-context factor and the megaphone would throw her off. What do you think?

I haven't paid any attention to his voice, or if we've even heard him say much at all, but if it's the same VA, that would be an amusing sign, for sure.
Merida

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna scream "This is not my genre!" when i'm in awkward situations from now on. Laughing

Also, every time Sebas appeared i couldn't help but wonder who would win in a battle of the butlers between him and Gilbert from Kekkai Sensen.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:35 am Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
I'm gonna scream "This is not my genre!" when i'm in awkward situations from now on. Laughing

I have already commented on the lack of cheers from studio audience when I enter the room and say "hey" to people, even when I leave a pause. I will have to keep this in mind too.

Although, arguably awkward situations is my genre. Embarassed
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
"Nekomura Head Shop"? Were the translators having fun, or does that mean something different in Japan?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Instead, it's becoming ever less believable that anyone would hold this big of a grudge, and therefore harder to take the club's predicament seriously.

Only this time the student council president is clearly under some sort of mind control/brainwashing and her actions are so extreme even her lackies are uncomfortable with it.

So rather than just being more of the same it's tying into whatever grander evil is afoot.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7 was another fun and enjoyable time. As the review mentioned, I quite liked seeing Rie Takahashi’s character voice lines that referenced Megumin from Konosuba. I also liked when the club members were taking about adding a commercial break in their anime, the club president was saying how that would be funny, and then the show actually stopped for a commercial break. I may have found that to be more humorous that I should have, but it still had me smiling. Wondering how the club will fare next week given the cliffhanger at the end of this episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
I would love to know why the student council prez has such a hate on for the anime club.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6