• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Anime-Gataris

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I am hoping for a Suckerpunch ending, where the big reveal stops mid-sentence as Minoa's spoiler[lobotomy] in the real world is finished, even make that last portion live action.

I bet we would talk about that for days.

I am half joking, though I have no idea where this is going and why.

I look forward each Sunday to see how this plays out.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:32 am Reply with quote
I'm not entirely certain that spoiler[Nakano has indeed betrayed the anime club; I wouldn't put it past him to be pulling a Snape and is only trying to make everyone think he's switched sides. Also, the cat didn't seem all that surprised that Nakano understood him; I'm guessing that the two of them have actually been working together for some time, and Nakano's betrayal is all part of some plan to out-maneuver the principle once more.]

Minoa's parents appear to be the key to understanding whats going on. I'm pretty sure now both of them were past members of the old Sakaneko anime club, that both had a hand in the mysterious anime that Minoa dimly remembers, and that the anime itself (possibly the only surviving copy) is somewhere on a VHS tape at their house. My guess is the old club made the anime, that it set in motion a previous apocalyptic event (which was only barely averted), and that the Principle is trying to prevent the same thing from happening again.

Oh yeah, and Minoa's mother used to be a violent tsundere ("Your mom has never hit me." "Don't lie to them, dear!"). Because thats just how Animegataris rolls.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
I was a bit confused by the title also. But researching a thought on it, it now makes more sense. The Japanese title is: "Aniken Zutto Tengu" (or: Anime Club: Forever Tengu). This is from the wikipedia entry on tengu
Quote:
The tengu of this period were often conceived of as the ghosts of the arrogant, and as a result the creatures have become strongly associated with vanity and pride. Today the Japanese expression tengu ni naru ("becoming a tengu") is still used to describe a conceited person.

It seems apt to also throw in the English axiom "Pride goeth before the fall" considering the events of the episode. (Events in the episode can also be seen as a modernish, anime-inspired take on some classic Tengu stories)
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
[quote="DeTroyes"]I'm not entirely certain that spoiler[Nakano has indeed betrayed the anime club; I wouldn't put it past him to be pulling a Snape and is only trying to make everyone think he's switched sides. Also, the cat didn't seem all that surprised that Nakano understood him; I'm guessing that the two of them have actually been working together for some time, and Nakano's betrayal is all part of some plan to out-maneuver the principle once more.]

So why, at the end of the credits, does the cat spoiler[ say "Never forgive a traitor." While standing on a pyramid wearing a cape, of course. Laughing ]

We all do watch all the way to the end of the credits, don't we? Twisted Evil

Ok, ok, I've only watched to the end 'cause I was too tired to click the remote. Embarassed
But it does prove it's better to watch anime in bed with a TV. Smile

Now I have to go back and re-watch all the credits of all the eps. Confused
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
So why, at the end of the credits, does the cat spoiler[ say "Never forgive a traitor." While standing on a pyramid wearing a cape, of course. Laughing ]

We all do watch all the way to the end of the credits, don't we? Twisted Evil

Yes, I did watch to the end of the credits. I still stand by my theory.

spoiler[1) Neko-sensei was clearly being overly-dramatic, in a context that was meant as humorous hyperbole to heighten the "tension" of a plot twist in what is more or less a comedy poking fun at such tropes. I wouldn't take it seriously.
2) Also, Nakano isn't specifically mentioned, so its also possible the "traitor" Neko's referring to isn't who we think it is. Tsubaki tried to warn Erika that something was afoot, and I've never really thought her heart was in it to persecute the Anime club like she has. Maybe she'll turn against the principal, and thus become a "traitor"?]

We'll find out who is right in the next episode.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
Well I knew something was up when Nakano was playing devil on sensei's shoulder to take the money. Not only was he drawn in a most sinister fashion, but it was also very out of character for the easy-going moe lover we've come to know. I just didn't expect it to be so dramatic. Smile

I'm not sure they've "bitten off more than they can chew" yet. That remains to be seen, but I think they know what they're doing.

My favorite gags this episode were calling the cat Nyan-Nyanko-sensei, and deciding that the statue version of the principal compared to the older balding version now meant that the artwork was starting to suck. I also got a chuckle out of the fish's reaction to the principal's arrival.

Looking forward to seeing if the promised apocalypse is finally upon us.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
WOW... well, I can only say that if this wasn't the PERFECT episode to put a short time after an "Answerman" column on anime fan cynicism, then I don't know what is. (Also, the OP bit with all the characters having Yui's face plastered on them was hilarious, in a way I appreciate that they FINALLY didn't have a random scene of her shoe-horned in so they replaced it with an "all-Yui-all-the-time" OP) Laughing
Melicans

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
The new OP was really funny. I'll be honest though, the last two episodes have really thrown me. If it had happened earlier in the season I probably would have dropped it because of that. It's gone from largely realistic to just... not. If it was like that from the beginning I would be fine with it, but the abrupt change just really puts me out of the experience.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
I'll be honest though, the last two episodes have really thrown me.

I'll agree that ep. 9 (the previous one) was just plain weird, but ep. 10 is clearly a love letter to the fans and a (not so) subtle jab at the critics (especially online critics). Sometimes its good to remember that even shows we don't like or think are bad, have people behind them that put lots of serious effort INTO that work. And even shows that only sell 10 copies have people like Minoa that love them anyway. I also appreciated the shout-outs to what crowdfunding and streaming are doing for anime production. Anime-Gataris has always been a ridiculously "meta" show, with questions about how much that's going to be relevant to the plot. The end of this episode strengthens my thoughts that we'll be closing with it being PROVEN as a "fictional world" whose characters become somewhat self-aware.

ps - I'm SLIGHTLY disappointed that it looks like Aurora's grand scheme is going to be based on his own history re: the club. For a brief time in this episode I was thinking his whole scheme was going to be to MAKE the school shut down all so that the Anime Club could re-enact the FULL plot of Love Live.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
ps - I'm SLIGHTLY disappointed that it looks like Aurora's grand scheme is going to be based on his own history re: the club. For a brief time in this episode I was thinking his whole scheme was going to be to MAKE the school shut down all so that the Anime Club could re-enact the FULL plot of Love Live.

My suspicion has been that he might be aware that he is in an anime, and is trying to keep it to a level he is happy with. Minoa seems to have been somewhat aware when the setting starts to slip past what should be normal, the crazy things the club were doing, and commenting that the rain caused by the principal are real, such that it is not normal. She does not just accept it unlike the others. Minoa in that way is kind of just like the audience.

Aurora seems to kind of been just as aware, and I think might have just as much been trying to keep it grounded, by putting in the right amount of drama to keep it from being boring, to sabotaging when it became too much. If Minoa is the audience, he might be the producer or something, with a mind for current trends (like Love Live). And maybe there is like the open ended question of whether he has been helping create a more contained and strong story, or keeping it from what it could otherwise be.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
That fish is going to take over the whole world. It's gone from minnow to carp-sized in just one episode!
Aerodynamic41

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Man, this show just went into Matrix-levels of mind screw.
NormanS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Im pretty sure the one who is wearing the red beret IS the director Kenshirou Mori. Or i think thats his face.

I love the 4:3 aspect ratio gag. I was wondering why the screen started shrinking.
vonPeterhof

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Maybe he's the Kouki of the title? There are no people named Kouki on the real-life staff.)
Okay, this one's a bit complex. The episode title has the word/name 光輝 with the furigana (reading) めいゆう (meiyuu). Meiyuu is likely meant to be 盟友, or "sworn friend" (at least, that's apparently the meaning the translators went with; I'm not ruling out that they could be off). 光輝 is the given name of Nakano-senpai, and I'm not sure if it's even been officially revealed what his full name even sounds like - unless I'm forgetting something, he's always been referred to as either Nakano or Aurora since his introduction in episode 2, while his official character profile doesn't have a pronunciation guide (only the three main first year girls have them, but most other characters have their full names in the profiles' URLs; the only ones that only have their family names in the URLs are Nakano and Beibei). The English Wikipedia lists his name as "Mitsuteru", which is a very likely reading for 光輝 as a guy's personal name, but not exactly the only possible one, and besides it's unsourced anyway (the Japanese Wikipedia makes no guesses at the pronunciation). My Japanese Names Dictionary app lists "Kouki" and "Teruki" as other possible variants for masculine names (alongside four feminine ones); kouki is also how 光輝 is pronounced as a common noun with the meaning "splendour" or "brightness". So it seems like the translators decided to go with that one as his name for now, though given how the show seems to be going out of its way to avoid revealing it I'm not sure if that's a good call (assuming that it wasn't given to them by the Japanese side). For now, again assuming that the name hasn't already been revealed and I'm just forgetting, my personal theory about his name is that spoiler[his parents were a little imaginative with the character readings (look up "kira kira names" if you don't know what that is) and that "Aurora" is his actual name rather than a nickname].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
At this point, we also finally get a semi-resolution to the red beret Minoa found. An unnamed character is wearing it!

We've known that since the first episode. We just never knew who he was or what became of him.

This seems like the sort of twist Samurai Flamenco was going for (and failed to pull off, imho), done with enough foreshadowing to make it palatable instead of wth.

Best gag was Minoa bonking her head on the Next Day title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6