• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: A Sister's All You Need

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taifood

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
pikkuhukka wrote:
i dont know what you (reviewer) are talking about, i fscking love this animu, warts and all <3

tho i loved eromanga sensei also and gave it 10/10 ;3
*facepalm*
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:04 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
i wouldnt say that. while he's indeed a pervert, he's no issei.

and more importantly, he's no makoto ito.
While Itsuki's fantasies go far he hasn't done anything so excluding the sin of thought crime it is interesting how some people see the guy. I mean the reviewer talks about the Sword of Damocles hanging over scenes involving Itsuki and Chihiro. It just seems a bit much considering he gets along well with Chihiro so I don’t see why people would assume the worst.
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not liking this one as much as Eromanga-sensei, but ignoring the comparison it's an okay slice of life comedy.
TUSF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
…be it a quick dig at the Haganai author's predilections…
Something you may not of noticed is that Hanagai's author is actually also ASAYN's author.
Yes, he did in fact just call himself a lolicon in his own anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Haven't really posted here yet, but I am actually enjoying the show a good deal, I am in the camp that the show is hiding more serious stuff than the gross out beginning paraded.

And I found the accountant segment pretty hilarious, possibly working from my own background with studying accounting, although in general I kind of liked everything about her character. What can be kind of interesting is that this goes a way to explain what was brought up the previous episode of our characters taking sudden plane trips, because they would be able to have those as tax deductions for research. Although, Ashley was cutting it close in ways like having the entirety of the apartment count as expenses. Although you would expect some big differences between countries, at least what was focused was not too different from what I knew, except maybe a part of donating to local area to reduce total. Even within following of accounting ethics, I think the industry can have a bit of humour at the perceptions.
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Though not as over the top as Panty & Stocking re sexual innuendo I'm loving the latest character introduction into this show. The latter part of Episode 4 is a hoot. More, more! Please, give us dirty old men something to look forward to besides a little sister's fixation with an older sibling. Thirty-two?? Ah, anime.....
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:00 pm Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:
Quote:
…be it a quick dig at the Haganai author's predilections…
Something you may not of noticed is that Hanagai's author is actually also ASAYN's author.
Yes, he did in fact just call himself a lolicon in his own anime.

The way Haganai(novel) went off the rails toward the end, I'm a tad worried something similar might happen to this, especially now that Yen Press will start publishing the novels...
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Those titles might be the bridge too far, as several of them approach the gag-inducing gross-out heights visited in the first episode

Except there are plenty of ero games with titles like that. That scene wasn't hyperbole for the sake of comedy. It's 100% reality.

DuskyPredator wrote:
And I found the accountant segment pretty hilarious, possibly working from my own background with studying accounting, although in general I kind of liked everything about her character. What can be kind of interesting is that this goes a way to explain what was brought up the previous episode of our characters taking sudden plane trips, because they would be able to have those as tax deductions for research. Although, Ashley was cutting it close in ways like having the entirety of the apartment count as expenses. Although you would expect some big differences between countries, at least what was focused was not too different from what I knew, except maybe a part of donating to local area to reduce total. Even within following of accounting ethics, I think the industry can have a bit of humour at the perceptions.

Personally I kept thinking of this scene.

Blanchimont wrote:
The way Haganai(novel) went off the rails toward the end, I'm a tad worried something similar might happen to this, especially now that Yen Press will start publishing the novels...

No kidding. Haganai, Oreimo, Papakiki... Why did so many promising novels shit the bed at the end like that?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Personally I kept thinking of this scene.

I really like that scene, and the entire movie. Need more media where it can be shown the extent of what an accountant can do, rather than people perceiving what they do as droll.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Need more media where it can be shown the extent of what an accountant can do, rather than people perceiving what they do as droll.

You mean all accountants can take out an entire squad of hired killers single handedly? My dad's been hiding things from me Razz
John Thacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:07 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Although you would expect some big differences between countries, at least what was focused was not too different from what I knew, except maybe a part of donating to local area to reduce total.

Yeah, and the "Hometown tax" (ふるさと納税) is an interesting issue in Japan. The essential idea has to do with rural depopulation; you give money to a rural area (ostensibly but not necessarily your hometown) and get to have a credit of that amount minus 2000 yen (plus maybe an additional amount) on your taxes. As you get see, with the 2000 yen or more subtracted from the credit it doesn't actually reduce your total. It's come in for criticism because locales engage in fancy campaigns to attract donations, even offering gifts and rewards of local products in exchange for donations, as you can see from the rankings there. Thus the program is not necessarily targeted at the places of greatest need.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I tend to be a big fan of humor based on a character's perversities getting turned back upon themselves, so that saucy little accountant was wonderful fun. Too bad she's not going to be a regular character, as I could probably watch a whole series of her just screwing around with clients' heads like that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
This series still hasn't filled that hole Eromanga-sensei left but it is getting slightly less tame with each episode and a bit more enjoyable as a result.

I'm still not finding that same click that made me like Haganai way back when either.
myskaros

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Morry wrote:
This series still hasn't filled that hole Eromanga-sensei left but it is getting slightly less tame with each episode and a bit more enjoyable as a result.

I'm still not finding that same click that made me like Haganai way back when either.

I suppose I'm your polar opposite then, because I read a little of the Eromanga-sensei manga and had zero interest in the anime, and I was disgusted and weary enough with Haganai by the end of the first season that I didn't care to watch the sequel.

This series, on the other hand, is doing something right, since I'm still watching it and still interested in seeing what happens next. I think a major part of it is simply that the cast is closer to my age, so it's easier to identify with the everyday problems and social connections they have.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
and I was disgusted and weary enough with Haganai by the end of the first season that I didn't care to watch the sequel.

Which is a real shame, because I think the sequel of Haganai is actually pretty great. The worry was that Haganai was just a dumb harem series, where it at times rested a bit too much on mean jokes, and won't dare actually try to move the story forward, where Yozora especially is not properly punished for her actions.

Haganai's second season kind of twisted it I think by actually giving spoiler[some credence to the Kodaka and Sena chemistry, not reliant on first girl rule with Yozora, or even being miss fanservice]. Yozora actually spoiler[gets criticised for some of her attitude. Characters are properly explored, showing more sides of them], and Kodaka gets spoiler[shown up for his own bad habits of actually putting on act of being clueless male lead].

Maybe just me, but the second season of Haganai showed me that this author really does have an awareness of what he is writing, and the problems inherent in that topic. Based on the addition in the previous episode in saying that the author of Haganai is a lolicon, sort of, making fun of himself, I think this series itself is him kind of showing an awareness of his work. Confronting a criticism that he just likes little sister characters, and his work shallow. Because I think there actually is more to it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6