• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Sister's All You Need—Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calsolum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
who also created Haganai

... huh. that i did not know and honestly surprises me. While i enjoyed the 1st season of Haganai the second season just seemed like a drag because it seemed that the characters developed at a snail's pace.

This does fill me with dread because if we do get a 2nd season in the future it might be a repeat of that but from what I remember this 1st season was much more rounded than Haganai's first season and seems to have a lot more emotion in it.

Alot of the authors have some glaring faults and some scenes are just really bad and in poor taste especially because there's no repercussions for certain characters, but despite this i enjoyed it greatly.

The board game at the end had me laughing quite alot especially Itsuki's editor feeling guilty about the events was a riot.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I really hated the first episode but knowing who created the series is what pushed me to keep watching. Luckily, after the first episode, I really enjoyed the show. Basically I think anyone that likes "otaku" shows, shows that dig a bit into the "process" of light novels, and shows that are more about the characters than anything else, you'll probably enjoy this. I really like the cast and I think that might be it's strongest point.
helln00

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:59 am Reply with quote
I wrote something similar elsewhere but I think the crux of the show and the source of Itsuki's future development will be about the nature of the protagonist and the protagonist-insert character and will be represented between Itsuki's desire to be a protagonist and the source of his happiness, which is everything that is not related to that.

His desire to be a protagonist comes from that rejection, as it is built from his loneliness and his homelife and the lack of control, but if u relate it to the larger tropes of protagonist in LNs like the one Itsuki writes, then the things that makes those characters protagonist are usually the things that he hates about his life and things that robs him of his agency( the things he cant control, his lost and disconnect from his family).

On the other hand he is a working adult, misanthropic but relatively functional and throughout the show, his happy moments are never those that involved things that made him a protagonist, but things where his agency or someone's agency is involved, their decision to continue writing made them happy, his decisions to take trips made him happy. This also goes for the other characters. Their desires and motivations are the source of their happiness, not things that made them protagonists.

So Itsuki's development will be when he answers the question in ep 12's title (A sister is all you need?) and contemplate his source of happiness and his desire to be a protagonist and will have to answer. This also works on another level cause I think Itsuki is and represents the target audience of LNs power fantasy( I mean thats why he writes) and the people who like LN protagonist-inserts like Kirito and through Itsuki is asking them the same question tat itsuki faces
klv
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
^ @helln00 - I enjoyed reading that. Thank you for posting. *strokes chin contemplatively*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1