• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Lists Releases for Morose Mononokean, Ace Attorney, Yamada-kun and the Seven Witche

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlueRex666

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Shar Aznabull wrote:
I'm quite glad to see Ace Attorney getting a dub, because I like the new cast (even if I do personally prefer the Layton vs AA cast) and even if the adaptation itself isn't that great it'll be nice to hear the new actors's take on it.

Pretty sure the PL vs. AA voice cast based out of England
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Think Berzerk 2016 will get a gag dub?
Vannil

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Wait, I thought Phoenix Wright was an Aniplex licence? I know it was done by A-1 and i swore at one point Aniplex announced it had the licence or was I just imagining that?
heartlessangel65

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Vannil wrote:
Wait, I thought Phoenix Wright was an Aniplex licence? I know it was done by A-1 and i swore at one point Aniplex announced it had the licence or was I just imagining that?

You were just imagining it.

Quote from when the CR x Funi partnership started

Quote:
Finally, we will be working together to distribute Crunchyroll titles through Blu-ray, DVD, and Download-to-Own, both dubbed and subbed. Currently planned titles include Ace Attorney, Alderamin on the Sky, Bungo Stray Dogs, JOKER GAME, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress and ReLIFE, with more to be announced in the future, so stay tuned for announcements on availability and street dates
MarkyMarc413

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:06 pm Reply with quote
As a big Ace Attorney fan, I really want to get the anime, but the quality of it all was really only so-so, so a good dub might change my mind. Speaking of a dub - will they use all of the English adaptation names for everything, including people and place (and food)? It'll be interesting to see how they handle some of the changes to fit both the anime and the games they're based on.

I'm also intrigued by the "Ace Attorney Outtakes: Part 01" listed in the Special Features. I haven't seen many Funimation released lately with Outtakes (Soul Eater NOT comes to mind as one of the few recent ones).

As for the cast, I'd be okay with the current LA Voice Cast, but if they got a new cast based in Texas, I wouldn't mind hearing Josh Grelle as Phoenix and J. Michael Tatum as Edgeworth. Having an all-star cast might help sell this anime!

-Marc.
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Darn, I'd almost forgotten the new Berserk happened. Are they really giving it a limited edition? Seems like Ace Attorney would've been better for one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Think Berzerk 2016 will get a gag dub?

They didn't even keep the original voices,so they can shove it all up their asses for all I care...
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:09 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Who would buy a limited edition of Berserk 2016?

The only way they could get me to buy it is if they bundled it together with the 1997 show.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Darn, I'd almost forgotten the new Berserk happened. Are they really giving it a limited edition? Seems like Ace Attorney would've been better for one.

You actually FORGOT about the new Berserk anime????

....I envy you.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quite interested about the Ace Attorney dub, having played the games, even though the adaptation has been pretty consistently labeled as average at best.

Really glad to finally have a release date for Kabaneri on blu-ray. Smile
Mew Berry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
Maybe a dub will actually salvage the Ace Attorney anime to some extent. I mean the games were very localized, and they're awesome. On the other hand, the anime jut wasn't very good for a lot of reasons. I didn't even bother finishing it, which is a shame since I'm a very big AA fan.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 pm Reply with quote
64BitRatchet wrote:
Who would buy a limited edition of Berserk 2016?

I know right? From the crappy CG, (which was only slightly improved for the Japanese BDs), to the whole dub cast fiasco (which is still BS because that could have saved this dreck) to the lack of outtake extras that worked for the previous adaptations' releases (which is hilarious considering Ace Attorney has some), FUNiroll must be insane if they think this LE will sell well (especially when there's likely going to be a better quality LE from Universal UK soon).

Want a good Berserk adaptation that's recent, buy Berserk Musou.

MarkyMarc413 wrote:
Speaking of a dub - will they use all of the English adaptation names for everything, including people and place (and food)? It'll be interesting to see how they handle some of the changes to fit both the anime and the games they're based on.

For people, they probably will use the English names which would make sense if they want to get fans of the games who haven't watched it subbed plus Capcom might a say in the decision so hopefully we get answers whenever FUNi posts a trailer.

The real question I want to know is with the subtitles because Crunchyroll's streams has two English sub tracks with both Japanese & English names so which will be on the discs? With Crunchyroll being the main licensor here, I would hope that they pushed FUNi to include both plus I doubt Capcom would have any issue if involved since the recent Night Warriors & Street Fighter II re-releases from Discotek includes two subs with both versions' names so hopefully it's the same here and if not then just the Japanese names would be fine.

Mew Berry wrote:
Maybe a dub will actually salvage the Ace Attorney anime to some extent. I mean the games were very localized, and they're awesome. On the other hand, the anime jut wasn't very good for a lot of reasons. I didn't even bother finishing it, which is a shame since I'm a very big AA fan.

As someone who is a fan of BlazBlue, FUNi sending the anime to Cup of Tea in LA really helped that adaptation since unlike the in-house Hyperdimension Neptunia dub, they got everyone back for this (except Laura Bailey but Alexis Tipton was okay as Platinum) and they even "fixed" Hakumen's voice distortion making him sound closer to the first games that Bang Zoom had dubbed prior to the studio change.

Maybe the same can happen here? If I'm not mistaken, Crunchyroll has still been sending some dubs to Bang Zoom recently so maybe they did try getting most of the recent game's cast for this?
1dbad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Excited we finally have a date for the Ace Attorney anime. It's not the flawless adaptation everyone dreamed of, but I didn't think it was that bad. The average episode was decent enough, and there were a handful of real stand-out episodes. I'm looking forward to rewatching it dubbed.

MarkyMarc413 wrote:
As for the cast, I'd be okay with the current LA Voice Cast, but if they got a new cast based in Texas, I wouldn't mind hearing Josh Grelle as Phoenix and J. Michael Tatum as Edgeworth. Having an all-star cast might help sell this anime!

That would be an amazing cast. I'm honestly hoping FUNi opted for a recast.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
MarkyMarc413 wrote:
As a big Ace Attorney fan, I really want to get the anime, but the quality of it all was really only so-so, so a good dub might change my mind. Speaking of a dub - will they use all of the English adaptation names for everything, including people and place (and food)? It'll be interesting to see how they handle some of the changes to fit both the anime and the games they're based on.

The fact that the DVD uses the localized title instead of an actual translation of it should be a good indicator of how this dub is going to play out.

Mew Berry wrote:

The anime was mostly fine minus the fact it's animation was inconsistent and for some bizarre reason it didn't adapt "Rise From The Ashes". I think too many people had their standards set a bit too high eventhough to be honest the series is not something that was exactly high art to start with it's a good part of the reason Turnabout Big Top is regarded as the worse case in the franchise.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:31 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
The anime was mostly fine minus the fact it's animation was inconsistent and for some bizarre reason it didn't adapt "Rise From The Ashes". I think too many people had their standards set a bit too high eventhough to be honest the series is not something that was exactly high art to start with it's a good part of the reason Turnabout Big Top is regarded as the worse case in the franchise.

Rise From the Ashes is a bonus case that was added for the DS rerelease of the original Japan only GBA game. Not to say that they couldn’t have had it in the show if they wanted, but it’s not really part of the first game the way Western fans perceive it to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3