• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Does Anime Occasionally Use English Songs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Have you seen the Ghibli movie From Up On Poppy Hill? If so, you've heard it. If not, go watch it. Smile
Except for Castle of Cagliostro, it's the earliest Hayao Miyazaki movie I haven't seen, so it's next.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I would not call it a Miyazaki movie (albeit he mostly did the screenplay based on the manga) since it was directed by Goro (his son).
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
You're right. People I know keep calling it that, so I had forgotten.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Vizo wrote:
Why are some lines in anime sub occasionally spoken in English? I'm not referring to characters from generally English speaking countries or bilinguals.

They are called loan words, and they are very common Japanese. Many languages, including English, have a lot of them, but Japanese probably more than most.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
They are called loan words, and they are very common Japanese. Many languages, including English, have a lot of them, but Japanese probably more than most.

Well, in a sense, English is a language that got started as a conglomeration of a bunch of different languages. It's still like that now: We have so many exceptions to rules of English usage because there are so many loanwords in it.
Maokun

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of English songs selected to suit an anime's mood, I cannot think of a better example than Ergo Proxy's OP, Kiri by Monoral. I was wondering why it wasn't mentioned but then I remembered that the band is actually Japanese, even though the singer is British (with Japanese ancestry).

A funny story regarding Serial Experiment Lain's Duvet by Boa (an obscure British band): Back in the day, I was a teenager and I had a girlfriend who was very much NOT into anime, despite my attempts to "convert" her. One day we were walking together sharing earphones from my music player and Duvet came on. To my amazement, she started singing along. Turns out that very randomly she was a fan of Boa. I really have no idea how she even first heard of them--we were not even from an English-speaking country, so Boa was even more obscure there. I didn't even know the band was British at the time and had figured that it was sung by a Japanese woman with good English pronunciation.

At the time, I thought that that was some sort of confirmation that we were fated to be together. Ah, to be so young.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4