• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix to Produce 30 'New' Anime Series for 2018 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:33 am Reply with quote
----

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:40 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company aims for 50% original content in its entire library by the end of 2018.

And the other 50% of content, all Mexican, Indian and Korean.

TD912 wrote:
Maybe the real threat to Crunchyroll isn't Amazon, but... Netflix?

Sure is getting super competitive in the world of anime streaming recently...

That's like saying Cartoon Network is a threat to Crunchyroll.

Companies that jump into anime with both feet, and think the industry is ruled by the limited genres that happen to belong to one or two high-profile shows owned by other companies, are going to become impatient that they're not making the profit that the Other Guys are. And it will never occur to them why.
(So, looks like Netflix has got a great lineup of shoujo comedies in the works, like....um....well, it's pretty much just more action, mecha and noir. Confused )

Netflix pretty much has the same future that Cartoon Network does, ie. the most easily reachable cookie jar on the lowest shelf, for newbie fans that don't know where to get anime to begin with, hope the mainstream will find it and serve it to them, and make big, big fan deals over the first show they did get hooked on from the most easy-to-find source.
The best things in entertainment are always harder to find.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:50 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Nekki Basara wrote:
If Netflix is actually producing entirely these new anime (or ordering certain a la carta series to be produced) if might be the best thing that can happen to anime to "make it great again" as international taste is not yet contaminated for all things moe/fanservice as the Japanese market is.

So the lot of you moe otaku and fujoshi can keep getting more of the same generic random uninspiring stuff that airs every season in japan while the rest of the world can go back to have more daring, inspiring and ambitious anime than can be or not be good, that is another story but the point is it would be awesome if Netflix can break the stagnant anime market.

I have great expectations for Saint Seiya (the audience is latin america an europe), devilman, baki, sword gai,Cannon Busters, just to start.
you seem to be under two misconceptions the first that your tastes are some how superior and the second being that there is only fan service shows airing. I assume you can read since you wrote that post so maybe you should head over to https://myanimelist.net/anime/season and look at what is airing.

I would also like to add that anime as a whole was and still is doing just fine at being “great,.” Quite frankly, not every anime that comes out every season has to cater to your specific tastes and they all don’t have to be daring to still be fun. Your arrogant tone and words here are something I’ve seen before, and they will not change the fact that the anime industry hasn’t stopped producing quality works in different genres for different people that work. After all, it’s simply a hobby and you don’t have to watch it if you don’t find anything to your liking.

Anyway, as for this news, I can only hope that Netflix can release their anime for everyone worldwide at the same time and not delay it for certain territories. I could see interesting things resulting from this, at least.

EDIT: @ Nekki Basara - Kon’Doriano, is that you because your pretentious level is off the charts. Those things that you mentioned are all highly subjective and there is no truely objective way to determine those qualities of anime nor will such a thing ever exist. The big reason why is because no matter how hard one tries, bias will always slip through any person’s thoughts about certain shows due to personal preferences. I could just as easily state that the type of anime you like are bad for specific reasons and I’m not any more wrong than you are when you don’t like other people’s preferred anime.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:56 am Reply with quote
TD912 wrote:
Maybe the real threat to Crunchyroll isn't Amazon, but... Netflix?

Sure is getting super competitive in the world of anime streaming recently...

If all those shows are like Neo Yokio, no worries...
TemplateR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:11 am Reply with quote
12 of 30 new produced anime-series, which shows up next year, are already known. But the other 18 series, that unknown at the moment.

I hope, that the 18 anime-series have some anime-adaptations of some manga-sources.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:21 am Reply with quote
CCTakato wrote:
I'm not an expert but I think the big issue with Eva isn't that it's just expensive but that it's old and it can be hard to get anime fans to invest in anime that's older than five years at this point. Most of the anime fans who would have an interest in watching/owning Eva probably already do but it's frankly kind of too old for most everyone else at this point. Streaming companies like Netflix and Amazon are more interested in snagging what's hot and new and will make them the most money than going after fan favorites for old timer otaku.

It's a reliable rule in general, but I think if any anime were to be an exception, it'd be Eva.

And there are exceptions. Netflix is currently streaming Robotech and Rurouni Kenshin -- which, I'll grant you, they don't directly own the licenses for. Sailor Moon got its long-awaited license rescue, and Funimation still sells DBZ, though those are conventional anime companies. LOTGH of all things is getting streamed ...I guess there's not really a close precedent.

So maybe a streaming company picking it up is a longshot, but can you really blame me for hoping for one? Sure, I personally still have my Platinum Collection in a box somewhere (spared by Harvey), but we're still talking about one of the biggest anime hits ever out of print for like five or six years now, having never been legally streamed or gotten a US BD release. I did find an old forum post claiming they're holding back on the TV series until the movies are complete, so I guess that's something to hope for?
Random Name

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote
TemplateR wrote:
12 of 30 new produced anime-series, which shows up next year, are already known. But the other 18 series, that unknown at the moment.

I hope, that the 18 anime-series have some anime-adaptations of some manga-sources.
Are you sure those shows mentioned in this article are part of the 30? Unless there counting stuff made by other studios as original.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:35 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Sure, I personally still have my Platinum Collection in a box somewhere (spared by Harvey), but we're still talking about one of the biggest anime hits ever out of print for like five or six years now, having never been legally streamed or gotten a US BD release.

There's something going on there behind the scenes, as every time a Funimation representative has been on ANNCast, someone invariably submits a question about Eva, and it always gets hand-waved away with the same sort of response that Funimation also used to give about Dragonball Super back before they had it / were allowed to announce they had it.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:45 am Reply with quote
This sounds great! Even if most of them are just shows they license to be on their service, it's still a huge amount of money that Netflix is investing for each individual title, which is overall better for the health of the industry. If we get at least 1 good original Netflix production that is made entirely by Netflix, I will call this a good step forward to the anime industry.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
MarthKoopa wrote:
fudge Netflix

Simulcast shows properly or GTFO

That's putting it nicely. The words I would want to use would be the type that could get one banned on the forums.

I am loving it, the show being on the other foot and all... I mean shoe. I think....

GG, Netflix, giving money to the anime production companies rather than CR's attempt at forcing out other competitors at the streaming level. But not being a pirate, what would I know of getting all the anime from a single site ever?
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:17 am Reply with quote
Considering Netflix's recent push to create legitimate originals and not license TV anime, this could very well be Netflix-funded series. They haven't announced anything yet.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:19 am Reply with quote
Oh please. Sure, all currently airing anime right now are consisting of ecchi and self pandering bullshit combined with these nonsensical moe crap that's devoid of anything meaningful whatsoever. Sure, let's just think that all those mature, seinen manga are the best damn thing that mankind need to glance upon and something like Made in abyss should be forsaken just because it featured casts looking like they're all under the age of 12.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
Random Name wrote:
Make sense. Gotta report that account.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
Egan Loo wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
The company aims for 50% original content in its entire library by the end of 2018.

That statement really needs some clarification, because as it reads, it's saying Netflix is looking to have only 60 titles on the service by the end of next year. That can't be right. And since it can't be right, I'm left wondering what they're actually intending.

Netflix is aiming for 50% original content in its "entire library" — not just the new 2018 titles, and not just the anime titles.

That still sounds impossible unless they plan on a scorched earth policy in clearing room for their "original" content, and having a library consisting of a couple hundred or fewer titles. Netflix has hundreds if not thousands of titles in their library, produced over decades. How many new series/movies can they throw their 8 billion bucks at to claim the "original" title in just one year?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
I'm curious as to why the ANN headline chose to put New in single quotation marks. Generally, that's a typographical convention to convey skepticism. In any case, it's an impressive goal. Netflix figured out long ago that the real money is in owning its own content as opposed to licensing from others. I see this as a good thing for the anime industry. I wonder if Amazon will start following suit? We know Crunchyroll already is, but they simply don't have the same size piggy bank as the Giants.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8