• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix to Produce 30 'New' Anime Series for 2018 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
I think this could be quite good, we know Neo Yokio wasn't originally from Netflix, so there haven't been any bad titles yet. I like how they are funding something, rather than having an active role in the development of these titles.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:58 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
MarthKoopa wrote:
Simulcast shows properly or GTFO

I still don't understand this mentality. I don't subscribe to every single streaming service out there, so there are a lot of shows that I wait to watch until they come out on Bluray. You'd rather not watch the show than wait a season?

Additionaly, I don't have time in my schedule to watch US TV shows when they air, so even if a show airs on basic cable, if I want to watch an episode of Grey's Anatomy or Riverdale I usually need to wait until the next season begins airing on TV for Netflix to make it available. Netflix has a way better air-date-to-streaming-date turnaround for anime than almost any of their other content. At least they are trying to accomidate the blisteringly fast turnaround that anime fans seem to take for granted.

News flash, not everyone is you. Some people's only real hobby is anime. So we have all the time in the world to watch anime and forcing us to wait is outright awful. Especially when we KNOW it's airing in Japan. The worst is that NETFLIX THEMSELVES simulcast it in Japan. And in the case of Kuromukuro, they even had english subs in Japan! It's insane. Not to mention the fact that, because people watch it in Japan, spoilers and such are all over the internet. And when you're deep in the fandom, you often times have to watch everything ASAP just to avoid spoilers. For me, it's harder to avoid anime spoilers than it is to avoid Game of Thrones spoilers. And Game of Throne spoilers apparently trend on Youtube.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
I definitely don't like Netflix's binge watch model with new anime, but my biggest fear is that not all of these titles are offered for disc release. But if most of these 30 new anime shows are true Netflix originals, that are not airing on Japanese tv, these are still good news.

2018 might be the most crazy and interesting year yet.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The company aims for 50% original content in its entire library by the end of 2018.

Let me explain this one... This is how much content Disney owns that they're pulling out of Netflix to start their own streaming service. It's why the words "entire library" are used rather than the phrase "added content".
What did I just write?
Wait a minute... they're going to lose how much and they're spinning it as "we're aiming for total 50% original content in 2018!" rather than "Look on the bright side, half of what's left in 2018 is going to be exclusive to Netflix. Maybe. If we're lucky."

I knew streaming was highly volatile but, to use a phrase, this is no way to run an internet company. Especially with how much in debt they are.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
News flash, not everyone is you.

Yeah, Kougeru, that's probably why I don't understand their point of view on simulcasting. Laughing I didn't say they weren't allowed to have their own perspectives on Netflix, just that I didn't understand them. You've helped clarify things, though, so thank you.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
Netflix is pumping unholy amounts of capital into our beloved medium to produce shows, many of which on paper already sound awesome (Deivlman Crybaby, Godzilla) and the reaction seems to be a lot of anger because it’s not simulcast.

If this is what it takes to overhaul the industry I say have at it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:06 am Reply with quote
After all the complaints Netflix gets about anime simulcasts outside of Japan, they still don't get it. Well, if there was ever justification for piracy, this might be one of them.
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
Maybe Netflix could pull some ReLifes releases to make me like it better.
VinceA

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:24 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
After all the complaints Netflix gets about anime simulcasts outside of Japan, they still don't get it. Well, if there was ever justification for piracy, this might be one of them.

Maybe the number of complaints they're getting is insignificant in comparison to their subscriber base, the number of views shows get, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Paulo27

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
VinceA wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Maybe the number of complaints they're getting is insignificant in comparison to their subscriber base, the number of views shows get, etc.
That's a dumb way to analyze the issue.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
There's something going on there behind the scenes, as every time a Funimation representative has been on ANNCast, someone invariably submits a question about Eva, and it always gets hand-waved away with the same sort of response that Funimation also used to give about Dragonball Super back before they had it / were allowed to announce they had it.

Ah, thanks! I don't regularly listen to ANNCast (not great with podcasts in general), so I don't pick up on these things. So maybe we'll finally learn something in the next year or two.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
Wow 30 new seires but kind of wondering how many of them are going to have a full cour instead of half
Morry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Look at that. 30 new anime I won't be watching because Netflix can't bother to simulcast outside Japan. Laughing
SkerllyFC07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
I work in New York and I've seen printed advertisements for Neo Yokio and other netflix original shows around. Yet none for any of the exclusive anime titles that are under the "Netflix Original" branding, and I'm fairly confident that I'll be pretty sure I won't see any such ads any time soon, and that kinda bugs me.

Yeah, their track record with advertising their anime stuff is abysmal. Every month, CNN runs an article listing all of the new stuff that's going to come out on Netflix / Hulu / etc. that month. There's never ANY anime on it, and I can't help but blame Netflix for not pushing it harder.

At least in youtube´s channel for Netflix Latin America they did put ID-0 in the video for upcoming shows in October.

CCTakato wrote:
Netflix is at least easily affordable for most people and it has more mainstream accessibility for casual audiences than Anime Strike. As long as these shows eventually get home video releases (I still don't know why the Voltron reboot hasn't been released on BD yet), I'm fine with this. Crunchyroll still has plenty of hot properties but Netflix will do a lot more to introduce newcomers to anime than Crunchyroll is able to.

Quote:
I definitely don't like Netflix's binge watch model with new anime, but my biggest fear is that not all of these titles are offered for disc release. But if most of these 30 new anime shows are true Netflix originals, that are not airing on Japanese tv, these are still good news.

Netflix has some of their shows on DVD. For example, here´s a link to Orange is the New Black season 3 on DVD: https://www.amazon.com/Orange-New-Black-Season-Digital/dp/B01CQB7W7Y
And I´ve also seen Daredevil being sold on DVD. Even Ajin and Knights of Sidonia have DVDs for them.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
My time has come... *cue epic music*

When I said sooner or later Western media companies would start muscling in on the anime industry, they said I was crazy. That will never happen!! Anime is only for Japanese!! It's not anime if it's not purely produced for the local Japanese dude! Anime will never change and we want it to stay the same forever!!

This was inevitable. Anime is a growing industry, and companies like Netflix who are still growing their user base have every incentive to capture a significant portion of the market. This kind of reminds me of what happened with AOL when Google and Microsoft started taking over the internet business. Now Google and Microsoft own almost everything, aside from Facebook. Though I wonder how long it is until Microsoft takes over Facebook.

Netflix is the Google in this scenario. They are going to spend billions of dollars making a ton of VERY slick content. As others have mentioned, in the short term this will be very good for Japanese animators. A lot of them are probably going to be beating down the doors trying to get work from Netflix, since I imagine Netflix is going to pay a lot more than the local production committees. I think the Japanese industry still has a lot of time to up their game, but if they keep putting out too much stale, recycled (and poorly compensated) product, I can guarantee that 15 years from now Netflix will be one of the biggest players in anime, if not the majority share holder.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8