• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Netflix to Produce 30 'New' Anime Series for 2018 Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
My time has come... *cue epic music*

When I said sooner or later Western media companies would start muscling in on the anime industry, they said I was crazy. That will never happen!! Anime is only for Japanese!! It's not anime if it's not purely produced for the local Japanese dude! Anime will never change and we want it to stay the same forever!!

Well, before you snap off your arm patting yourself on the back for your prescience and start dreaming of all those succulent titles free from the otaku blight that you find so irritating, keep in mind that - as far as I can see - Netflix is just acting as the financier for anime. In other words, they will be going to Japanese studios, use Japanese source material for adaptations, etc, etc. Netflix may own the titles, but it wouldn't shock me if the shows remain resolutely "anime" in character as opposed to "anime influenced by Western input." I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I'm curious as to why the ANN headline chose to put New in single quotation marks. Generally, that's a typographical convention to convey skepticism. In any case, it's an impressive goal. Netflix figured out long ago that the real money is in owning its own content as opposed to licensing from others. I see this as a good thing for the anime industry. I wonder if Amazon will start following suit? We know Crunchyroll already is, but they simply don't have the same size piggy bank as the Giants.

I highly doubt Netflix is going to own any of the said 30 new anime series. What Netflix is really interested is in having exclusive rights to anything they stream.

No, they will own these shows. That means the licenses for them won't lapse like a usual Netflix acquisition. The reason Netflix is going the original content route is that it started to be clear it was going to be harder and harder for them to acquire worthwhile titles because a lot of entities that have the kind of back titles that Netflix would want are looking at other streaming options, including setting up their own platforms. Netflix could see where that was headed.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
No, they will own these shows. That means the licenses for them won't lapse like a usual Netflix acquisition. The reason Netflix is going the original content route is that it started to be clear it was going to be harder and harder for them to acquire worthwhile titles because a lot of entities that have the kind of back titles that Netflix would want are looking at other streaming options, including setting up their own platforms. Netflix could see where that was headed.

I suppose that by "own" you mean "own the streaming rights (to perpetuity?)". For me to own a show means something like what Disney did, they bought Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm, so they own the incredibles, spiderman and luke skywalker the same way the own mickey mouse (and will milk said franchises "to infinity and beyond")
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
@ mangamuscle - not just streaming rights, but I would think home release rights and any other exploitable form of exhibition as well.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:42 pm Reply with quote
They will "own" as in the Japanese studio producing said anime will assign all relevant copyright rights over to Netflix as part of the arrangement for Netflix paying them to produce it, with some residuals likely in place to compensate the original mangaka in perpetuity.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
This news will really depend on whether Netflix understands the anime market and that is currently unknown. Most of the shows haven't been announced, the length of the shows hasn't been announced, the genres for the shows haven't been announced, and the average quality for them is unknown. Anything that increases the type of anime I like is something I would support but this is the same company that made the Hotel Transylvania TV show so I am a little skeptical about how this will turn out.

ChibiKangaroo wrote:
They will "own" as in the Japanese studio producing said anime will assign all relevant copyright rights over to Netflix as part of the arrangement for Netflix paying them to produce it, with some residuals likely in place to compensate the original mangaka in perpetuity.
I don't see that happening for adaptations of light novels and manga since anything popular would come at a very high price but for original productions that is very possible. After all if the original production was a success Netflix would want complete control over it. My guess is that Netflix will avoid making original productions with any fanservice since that is politically incorrect in modern western culture but that they will be willing to make shows with a moderate level of violence
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
Netflix has never been profitable.

Note the "Net Income" line:
https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/nflx/financials

I see 5 years of positive income.
#alfrescoCR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:50 pm Reply with quote
And yet people stil bitch about them for not simulcasting. Ungrateful ass.They're the second coming of christ and they're gonna save anime and even Trump can't stop that. Smile
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I should visit Netflix more often.
Great news!
QUICKSORT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
MarthKoopa wrote:
fudge Netflix

Simulcast shows properly or GTFO

+1 this.

Otherwise it's going to be fansubbers for me again.
It's pathetic that they cannot even release their shows simulcast, honestly takes away the purpose of these streaming services (at least in terms of anime imho)
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:36 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Some people's only real hobby is anime. So we have all the time in the world to watch anime and forcing us to wait is outright awful. Especially when we KNOW it's airing in Japan.... Not to mention the fact that, because people watch it in Japan, spoilers and such are all over the internet. And when you're deep in the fandom, you often times have to watch everything ASAP just to avoid spoilers. For me, it's harder to avoid anime spoilers than it is to avoid Game of Thrones spoilers. And Game of Throne spoilers apparently trend on Youtube.

I agree, except I don't think it's about having "all the time in the world" and more about preferring to set aside a half hour a week for each show as it airs rather than feeling pressured to set aside a *whole weekend* to binge a show after its all made available.

Netflix's binge model scares me, especially now that I know that they consider a show more successful the faster people consume it. It's not healthy to actively encourage people to watch TV for over 8 hours straight on a regular basis. My biggest concern is how marathoning a show cuts into absorption and discussion. When I watch a show as it airs, I can set aside 25-60 minutes watching an episode every week and 15-90 minutes discussing it--reading reviews of the episode, looking at its tag on Twitter, using the forums, really getting into detail about the episode. When everybody binges a show, the details fall by the wayside, the discussions are shorter and don't last as long, it's hard to avoid spoilers if you haven't seen the whole thing yet and other people did...

I just binged watched season 4 of Netflix's Voltron (all 6 episodes of it). I can barely keep track of what happened in which episode, and I know I missed details because I just wanted to watch it as fast as possible to avoid any big spoilers on Twitter. It's a sucky way to watch TV, IMHO.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:45 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

I just binged watched season 4 of Netflix's Voltron (all 6 episodes of it). I can barely keep track of what happened in which episode, and I know I missed details because I just wanted to watch it as fast as possible to avoid any big spoilers on Twitter. It's a sucky way to watch TV, IMHO.

I quit watching simulcasts week to week many seasons ago, and now view at my own pace after the show has finished airing. I find I am easily able to remember what happened in previous episodes, while viewing the comments of an episode at CR shows that many people can't remember stuff from only 2 episodes prior, much less the beginning of the series.

IMHO, it is the best way to watch a series.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I don't mind binge watching myself, it's the having to wait for the whole thing to become available I'm not crazy about. Especially since I like being able to comment on shows here at ANN as they simulcast. I haven't been able to participate in the Fate/Apocrypha discussion thread due to having to wait on Netflix's schedule.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
No matter how much money Netflix may offer them, I think Japanese rights holders should refuse to do business with Netflix unless Netflix agrees to weekly simulcasts to territories outside of Japan. Even though piracy will continue, having weekly simulcasts to over 190 countries/territories can help lessen piracy.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Especially since I like being able to comment on shows here at ANN as they simulcast. I haven't been able to participate in the Fate/Apocrypha discussion thread due to having to wait on Netflix's schedule.

Being able to take part in discussions is a huge part of watching most shows for me. When Netflix waits till the season is over, by the time you've watched the show and are ready to discuss it, the discussions are stale. The binge-people start their discussions as soon as they're done, and it peaks after a day or 2. "Watching things at my own pace" usually means that when you want to talk about the show that was released a few months ago, you could read what everyone else wrote weeks ago and share your own insights into the void. It's not an active discussion anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8