• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Mr. Osomatsu Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
complete with all the wonderful speed lines, limited animation, and dramatic Osamu Dezaki freeze frames to invoke visual nostalgia.
The only downside is that they weren't as good as the ones used in Kill La Kill and Mob Psycho 100.

Can anyone remember at what point in season 1 Totoko became a bitch? Because she seemed rather nice and normal at first.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:56 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Can anyone remember at what point in season 1 Totoko became a bitch? Because she seemed rather nice and normal at first.

It was established pretty early on, IIRC. I think it was the episode “Totoko’s Dream”. She constantly spoke over the boys, punched them, and straight-up admitted she wanted to be an idol not for love of the field but to rub her fame in everyone’s faces. That was a pretty solid basis for what her character was going to be like later on down the line.
intothemystic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:17 pm Reply with quote
there is something deeply satisfying at seeing the six busts get dusted, painted, and blown up at the end. So very satisfying.
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:30 pm Reply with quote
This week's UMA expedition was the funniest as of of yet and Punishment! was simply awesome. At the beginning it was almost touching how Ichimatsu believed that he had to pay for such small pleasures like meeting a cat or finding 500 yen, but it got more hilarious when things escalated quickly until it became clear that the punishment for their last fateful encounter could only be death.

As for the horror story, i guess Osoma-chan just liked messing with people? Also, the nonchalant way Choromatsu thought that filling the extra time with his favourite hobby was the most natural thing to do, made me giggle...
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:01 pm Reply with quote
My take on the horror story was that Osoma simply likes trolling guests, and Choroe lets her. She spoils Osoma, even though she killed her. (I guess the true horror comes in when you start thinking about how this relationship had come about.)
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I think the UMA sketch is probably one of my favorite recurring segments besides F6. I like the idea of the Girlymatsus, but I never really found their skits funny, and the less said about Cavematsu, the better. Confused
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I think pretty much every episode from the second cour so far has been at least an A. They really stepped up their game from what I felt were an underwhelming handful of later episodes in the first half. Especially episode 16, I'd love it if the new girl became a reoccurring character in the future. They got me good, fooling me into thinking that Totoko would actually change in a positive way or learn to become a better person, lol.

Also, that new OP is pure fire. Osomatsu ops are always the best though, that's like the one thing you can always count on.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Spoiler for Naoki Urasawa's manga Mujirushi:

I saw a news brief about this which didn't say anything about the plot, so I took a look at the first chapter and spoiler[surprise, surprise, encountered a very familiar face. Check out the cover in the article link and see if the little symbol beneath the English title reminds you of anything (or anyone). It certainly ought to after Episode 18. Very Happy]
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
There's something oddly subversive about these usually (deliciously) awful characters being genuinely good to each other all of a sudden...i mean, i can't have been the only one, sitting there and waiting with baited breath for the evil twist?!

And yes, there was definitely something in my eyes there at the end (damn you, Iyami!)... Crying or Very sad
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:19 pm Reply with quote
For some reason blind homeless children always tug at my heart strings. BTW, did anyone else think that Okiku looked like Harumi from Dororon Enma-Kun?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the less romantic side, there's what looks like a yellow turd (probably just mustard), thrown into Iyami's face to paint his defeat and humiliation.

I assumed it to be mustard because that's what Japanese people often use with oden. (It's the karashi mustard type, which I hate, and not American mustard.)
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:42 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched ep 17 yet, but in ep 16(?) where papa matsu went on his oden quest, was I the only one that recognized the nod to Oishinbo, coincidentally voiced by the very same seiyuu? I was hoping I'm not alone...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:45 pm Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:
I haven't watched ep 17 yet, but in ep 16(?) where papa matsu went on his oden quest, was I the only one that recognized the nod to Oishinbo, coincidentally voiced by the very same seiyuu? I was hoping I'm not alone...
I'm pretty sure someone on here pointed it out in the comments, try having a lot back a few pages, and on CRs comments someone else mentioned it. I didn't notice it, because I know very little of TV Anime from the 80s.
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I'm pretty sure someone on here pointed it out in the comments, try having a lot back a few pages, and on CRs comments someone else mentioned it. I didn't notice it, because I know very little of TV Anime from the 80s.

not in this particular thread, I went back to before the ep aired Sad maybe it was CR. but it's encouraging knowing someone else noticed it Smile
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
glitteringloke wrote:
not in this particular thread, I went back to before the ep aired Sad maybe it was CR. but it's encouraging knowing someone else noticed it Smile
I fount it, here you go.
Quote:
dumas1
Wow, Cobra and Oishinbo parody shorts. Last series I would've expected these guys to pull out of the bag.

BigDanG
And a little bit of Lupin mixed into the Cobra parody. The father has the same voice actor as Oishinbo's Yamaoka-san, so it's just perfect.

Gshock99
Yay, someone got the Oishinbo reference ^^
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6