• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: UQ Holder! Magister Negi Magi! 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TnAdct1

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
OK I get theyre strapped for time with only 12 eps but did they really have to skip so much and rush it to hell? So many people including me had high hopes for this.

In the end this too is a victim of the Negima curse

This show was pretty much doomed from the start when the key art involved a moment that doesn't even happen until volume 10 of the manga.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:57 am Reply with quote
TnAdct1 wrote:
GhostD wrote:
OK I get theyre strapped for time with only 12 eps but did they really have to skip so much and rush it to hell? So many people including me had high hopes for this.

In the end this too is a victim of the Negima curse

This show was pretty much doomed from the start when the key art involved a moment that doesn't even happen until volume 10 of the manga.

I actually already mentioned that in an earlier post but at the time I didn't think they would only have this at 12 eps cos I thought it wouldnt be possible to get that far with only 12. I didn't think they would be crazy enough to really pull it off
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As in the fight, the series isn't afraid to add levity with little touches like Karin of all people asking Fate a trivial question.

well if this doesnt prove that the series is trying their damnest to make karin a psuedo version of index/railgun's kuroko then i dont know what will.

regardless, i had a sneaky feeling that this was going to be a 12-13 ep series. i mean considering that their already in that arc and they skipped a lot of parts from the manga, its more or less that this series might be like with the first negima where it might have an anime only type of ending, or in the worst case scenario , those "read the books,kids!" type of endings that you mainly see in anime series that are adapted from light novels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:09 am Reply with quote
Shame it looked to be a nice ep if not for rushing the damn thing to hell

Its practically screaming "READ/BUY THE MANGA"
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
That image of Asuna Kagurazaka just reminds me I'd rather be watching a straight Negima reboot.

Good going, UQ Holder.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
That image of Asuna Kagurazaka just reminds me I'd rather be watching a straight Negima reboot.

Good going, UQ Holder.

At this point even a reboot would still be subjected to the Curse of Negima
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Good going, UQ Holder.

At this point even a reboot would still be subjected to the Curse of Negima

Poor "Negima." It had not one, but THREE crappy TV adaptations (I don't know how the OVAs went).

Also, in response to the reveal as to who Negi picked mentioned a page ago: Seriously, Akamatsu? He had to get with the spoiler[Naru Narusegawa clone]? Way to expand your range there, buddy. He had way better chemistry with spoiler[Asuna and Nodoka]. Then again, I stopped reading halfway through the Magical World arc, so maybe they did improve their relationship and I just missed it.
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
Poor "Negima." It had not one, but THREE crappy TV adaptations (I don't know how the OVAs went).

Also, in response to the reveal as to who Negi picked mentioned a page ago: Seriously, Akamatsu? He had to get with the spoiler[Naru Narusegawa clone]? Way to expand your range there, buddy. He had way better chemistry with spoiler[Asuna and Nodoka]. Then again, I stopped reading halfway through the Magical World arc, so maybe they did improve their relationship and I just missed it.

1. The OVAs were pretty OK actually. Though to be fair there were only like 10 OVA eps if you dont count the intro eps. Quality was decent considering it was done by Shaft as opposed to Xebec's TV animation quality

2. She was chosen via fan poll. I dont know what the voters were thinking of at the time. spoiler[They got close during that arc but the subsequent arcs after that no further development was seen because of other stuff happening. I guess that much was enough for fans to vote for her. Now to be fair Negi chose her after the last arc of the manga but obviously before the epilogue time skip so theres no way to know whether or not there was any more development between them before Negi asked her out]

3. He cant be with spoiler[Asuna cos she's his blood related aunt. That would be incest on a different level IMO. Nodoka I can see happening. To be frank Asuna is a much closer clone of Naru especially in terms of appearance and personality].
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Re: the girl chosen by Negi spoiler[Asuna & Chisame are BOTH Naru clones, but agreed on Asuna being nixed partly on incest grounds. I would've preferred the loli-Naru clone (Ana) over either of them. But yeah, gotta keep consistent Rolling Eyes Based on fan comments, I assume Chisame was elected because all the internet nerds think the internet nerd character is their waifu. Rolling Eyes I was really worried that's how that thread was gonna go immediately when she actually went to Magic World (which was INCREDIBLY dumb).] I don't care if fans voted for her, Akamatsu clearly stacked the deck on that one since spoiler[Chisame got WAAAAAAY more screentime/pages than that character merited. She SHOULD have been basically a one-off like half the class.]

The only decent pairing in Negima-verse is: spoiler[Kotarou+Natsumi]
GhostD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:43 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
The only decent pairing in Negima-verse is: spoiler[Kotarou+Natsumi]

I wish Akamatsu expanded on it a little more though.

P.S. I never said spoiler[Chisame wasnt a Naru clone, only that Asuna is the closest Naru clone considering she's literally based on Naru...In fact I think there are actually 5 clones including the first 3]
NapoleonDeCheese

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Anya was a horribly bad character. Her only function was providing cheap physical abuse and flat chest gags, she never was useful at all, she never understood Negi in the slightest or had any character development. She was literally the worst person Negi could have ended up with. Read Negima Neo, where she was much more prominent, and you'll realize how grating she gets in large doses.

Asuna technically didn't have to lose because of the incest clause because there was no real reason to make her related to Negi in the first place. It never becomes a really important plot point; you could have made Asuna completely unrelated to Arika, coming from just another branch of Martian royalty, and it wouldn't have changed anything relevant. Heck, even though I like Arika a lot I'll admit there's not even much of a point to make Negi the son of a Martian queen; Arika quickly grows so irrelevant the end of Negima and then UQ Holder never bother to make clear what became of her, it's like not even Negi himself or Nagi care.

Asuna certainly was the one the most sympathetic and understanding of Negi's plights. Even Nodoka and Yue could be peer-pressured into joining the despicable bullying act against Negi during the Sports Festival, but Asuna would always put her foot down and defend Negi no matter what, even if it meant facing the rest of the class by herself. I'd say hers was the most honest love of all the students... and yet I don't begrudge Chisame for winning over her. Chisame was more flawed than Asuna, but that also made her more interesting, and Negi benefited from her brand of cynical realism to anchor him from his often irrealistic and self-destructing idealism and martyr complex. As for Nodoka, she peaked too early as a character and never really advanced afterwards, much like Setsuna. If she didn't win it was her own fault, actually, for failing to make good on the early lead she gained during the first few manga volumes.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
GhostD wrote:

1. The OVAs were pretty OK actually. Though to be fair there were only like 10 OVA eps if you dont count the intro eps. Quality was decent considering it was done by Shaft as opposed to Xebec's TV animation quality

2. She was chosen via fan poll. I dont know what the voters were thinking of at the time. spoiler[They got close during that arc but the subsequent arcs after that no further development was seen because of other stuff happening. I guess that much was enough for fans to vote for her. Now to be fair Negi chose her after the last arc of the manga but obviously before the epilogue time skip so theres no way to know whether or not there was any more development between them before Negi asked her out]

I dunno where the whole "chosen by a fan poll" thing comes from. From what I remember reading in a quote from translated interview with Akamatsu included in a memo book amongst other goodies in the limited edition of one of the previously released volumes of the UQ Holder manga in Japan (Volume 12) that came out at the end of last year months before it was revealed in the UQ Holder manga, the choice of Negi's bride was a long time thing in Akamatsu's studio, and he says that they were writing the final chapters of Negima with her being the winner already in mind. He apparently really was pushing her a lot by the end of the series. Shame about how the manga ended for her though.

Too bad we'll never get those limited editions over here in the US, as they really come with a lot of bonuses included in them. The same thing happened with the Negima LE volumes as well, which sucks...

The Negima OADs were pretty good. Animation could've been a bit better, but they did follow the manga a lot, and did a cool thing with regards to reading spell incantations. Oh, and they showed some pretty good portions of (and the lead up to, with regards to the first OAD series) the Magical World Arc from the manga too, but not the Rakan fight, which was a real shame.

As for this series, I haven't followed it that much, but from the reviews I'm reading, it hasn't turned out that well, what with script juggling in order to fit in more of the material and such in the number of episodes he was given to work with. A shame, because I guess the Akamatsu curse lives on, even when he's involved with the anime in the first place. Such a terrible thing, but I guess I really shouldn't be all that surprised anymore, especially after the whole Negima Anime Ending thing Akamatsu did half a decade ago...
NapoleonDeCheese

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Nodoka and Evangeline have always ranked above Chisame in fan polls. I'm pretty sure Chisame's victory was Akamatsu's own decision.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
NapoleonDeCheese wrote:
Nodoka and Evangeline have always ranked above Chisame in fan polls. I'm pretty sure Chisame's victory was Akamatsu's own decision.

This. Apparently, the last poll held on the UQ Holder website back in October had Nodoka in front by a large margin, Setsuna second, and Chisame third. Eva was fourth, Asuna fifth, Yue sixth, and Konoka seventh.

Results here:http://alaalba.weebly.com/negima-popularity-poll-october-2017.html
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
I dunno where the whole "chosen by a fan poll" thing comes from. From what I remember reading in a quote from translated interview with Akamatsu included in a memo book amongst other goodies in the limited edition of one of the previously released volumes of the UQ Holder manga in Japan (Volume 12) that came out at the end of last year months before it was revealed in the UQ Holder manga, the choice of Negi's bride was a long time thing in Akamatsu's studio, and he says that they were writing the final chapters of Negima with her being the winner already in mind. He apparently really was pushing her a lot by the end of the series. Shame about how the manga ended for her though.

I looked around and found some info on that interview. BTW when I said fan poll I didn't mean most popular but rather who it was that the fans themselves wanted. Nodoka was easily one of if not the top choice. Although it was over a year ago I never really cared because the reveal wasnt until last July. That theory about the fan poll was something that went around the time UQ was first published. Because no one knew anything until much later no one really questioned it..or cared that much really since the rumor mills started going crazy again when UQ came out. Akamatsu kept this in the dark for too long
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6