• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Clover

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
The plot. Is moving. So... slowly. So. Very. Slow...ly.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
The show will pick up the pace in the next few episodes. I think you guys might enjoy what's to come.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:19 am Reply with quote
^ That does not make up for subjecting us to this filler Hell.

Hope that director is happy he's gotten his precious animators back after making the anime a chore to watch.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:26 am Reply with quote
^ Just because he has his animators now doesn't mean we won't get more anime original episodes.

I'm sure you'll be disappointed to hear that because the director isn't using the manga as storyboards and yeah I'm sure he's happy he avoided turning his show into another Dynamic Chord.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
^ I have no idea what Dynamic Chord is.

All I know is that if its still gonna be padded the Hell out then this will be a annoying viewing.

Its a hard watch on Toonami.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
^ I have no idea what Dynamic Chord is.

A show by Pierrot that was airing this season.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/11/27/dynamic-chord-this-is-how-anime-breaks/

It's just the first 10 episodes. If you guys could suffer through One Piece's terrible pacing in Toonami when it was airing then this shouldn't be too bad.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:19 am Reply with quote
Honestly, one piece's example should never be copied. stretching out a chapter to cover a whole episode ruins the pacing in so many key, exciting scenes where things are meant to happen extremely quickly and have end up getting streeeeeetched out and lose a bunch of their emotional impact. The only reason people have accepted it at this point is because the source material is great and the other option is to basically have another naruto where half the seasons are pure filler. Personally I would actually be happier I think if one piece showed every other season, the episodes would have far better quality if it did.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:42 am Reply with quote
Plots have a natural flow to them. Too fast and things will feel rushed, improperly explained, or like the characters didn't have to do enough to earn whatever they're getting. Too slow and the audience will feel bored, things will get overly explained (as in, to death), and it will feel like hardly anything is going on.

Since we're talking about a shonen action series, if you're going to err on plot speed, it's better to be a too fast than too slow, and Black Clover (and One Piece) is definitely too slow so far. I'm sure its speed has already cost the show a lot of viewers, and soured many that have stayed with it. It's not too late for Black Clover, but the difficulty in recovering from this will only grow more challenging the longer they keep this up.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:33 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Honestly, one piece's example should never be copied. stretching out a chapter to cover a whole episode ruins the pacing in so many key, exciting scenes where things are meant to happen extremely quickly and have end up getting streeeeeetched out and lose a bunch of their emotional impact. The only reason people have accepted it at this point is because the source material is great and the other option is to basically have another naruto where half the seasons are pure filler. Personally I would actually be happier I think if one piece showed every other season, the episodes would have far better quality if it did.

which is the reason why series like shingeki no kyojin and boku no hero academia instead have their anime series go into very long hiatus modes, rather than do what OP does and have filler eps in abundance.

i suspect that black clover will either do two things. either do the former and have a filler or two, or have a very long hiatus. however the latter have its risks as well cause unless that final ep says there will be a new season, it will end up being classified by fans as the usual "read the books,kids!" type of endings which is what happened to claymore and from the looks of things or lack of any news, is happening to owari no seraph since there have been ZERO info on the possibility of that series getting a season 3!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rubyleaf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:37 am Reply with quote
Just a comment on this week's review: 1) Why is Yuno's name suddenly autocorrecting into the title of an old OVA when it never did before and 2) is there a way to stop this because otherwise reading these streaming reviews every week will become a bit of a pain. I'll still keep reading them of course, but just thought I'd point this out...
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
Rubyleaf wrote:
Just a comment on this week's review: 1) Why is Yuno's name suddenly autocorrecting into the title of an old OVA when it never did before and 2) is there a way to stop this because otherwise reading these streaming reviews every week will become a bit of a pain. I'll still keep reading them of course, but just thought I'd point this out...

Huh. Weird that that would suddenly start happening. I think it's fixed now.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:47 am Reply with quote
The thing about DBZ is that, yes, there were a lot of slow filler episodes, but when things really got going, they didn't mess around: once, for example, Goku and Frieza got down to business, a whole planet was collateral damage. Even earlier on, the first battle between Goku and Vegeta was pretty awesome.

I haven't see anything remotely close to awesome from Black Clover. There were some *decent* fights -- sorta, but for a shonen action series, things have been... lackadaisical. Most of the energy found seems to be in the yelling by the main character, and that got old before the first episode was done.

I'm really wanting to like this show, but the way it's being executed is making it tough.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
^ That does not make up for subjecting us to this filler Hell.

Hope that director is happy he's gotten his precious animators back after making the anime a chore to watch.

there is no filler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Plots have a natural flow to them. Too fast and things will feel rushed, improperly explained, or like the characters didn't have to do enough to earn whatever they're getting. Too slow and the audience will feel bored, things will get overly explained (as in, to death), and it will feel like hardly anything is going on.

Since we're talking about a shonen action series, if you're going to err on plot speed, it's better to be a too fast than too slow, and Black Clover (and One Piece) is definitely too slow so far. I'm sure its speed has already cost the show a lot of viewers, and soured many that have stayed with it. It's not too late for Black Clover, but the difficulty in recovering from this will only grow more challenging the longer they keep this up.

there is no need to recover
it's fine you are the one with problem

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
#844391 wrote:
Ep 12,

Havn't read the manga but they were telegraphing everything pretty obviously. Rich boy has a grudge against yuno, requested him as a bodyguard, found out where his home was, had the bandits attack him and since that failed he'll have them attack the village. Hopefully Yuno is smart enough to realize this and just hasn't given it away that he knows, I don't like it when smart characters fall for really obvious traps.

They could have avoided the whole situation. The knight they had with them should have just insisted on continuing to their destination (he is a noble too after all), they were hired to protect him on a direct route, not to go sightseeing, and they could always say that the guy's safety is paramount and ignore his requests. But plot demands bad decisions so here we are.

Actually filler :v this mission wasn't even in the manga except mentioned in passing later.

That said, I actually would have been totally on board with this filler except that it's going to eat into next week's episode too, which just further delays the next mission for no discernible reason :/ if it had just lasted this half episode and let things proceed next week, it would've been great, get a quick glimpse at Yuno and some Golden Dawn wizards.

It's just really... so mysterious why they're afraid of progressing and decide to instead risk losing some of their audience this early in the show. Manga readers know it's filler and get frustrated when there's no progress, but newcomers also haven't really been shown much spectacle yet to really get into the show. It's almost like the anime production team doesn't trust that the source material is interesting on its own.

that's a lie and you know it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 25