• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Clover

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:59 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
#878863 wrote:
#844391 wrote:
#878863 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Both My Hero Academia and Black Clover are clearly inspired by the success of Naruto; Horikoshi himself has stated Naruto was his primary inspiration (complete with a thumbs up from Kishimoto). And this makes sense, since despite what weebs would have you believe, Naruto remains a massive critical and commercial success, being the best-selling manga in history internationally (not domestic or worldwide; that’s obviously One Piece). So with One Piece remaining what it is and with WSJ trying to forget the fact that Bleach existed, it makes sense that they would try to capitalize off of the only remaining member of the Big Three.

What’s important, though, is how they approach it. MHA takes a more experimental approach, taking the things from Naruto and trying to portray them in opposite lights with hit-or-miss results. Naruto is now far less outspoken and just an ordinary kid (Izuku), Sasuke is now a plain ol’ jerk (Katsuki), Sakura’s sweet side is now far more prevalent than her brash side (Ochako), Jiraiya and his philosophies of peace are made the core from the beginning rather than brought to us gradually (All Might), Gaara and Neji are now one character (Shoto), etc. Black Clover, however, is playing it far safer. Aside from the rivalry being portrayed in a mostly positive light, as opposed to Naruto (which was more lukewarm) and MHA (which is more negative), there’s really nothing here that hasn’t been done better in other shows. It basically takes the characters of Naruto, has them live in the world of Fairy Tail, and enlists them in the system of Bleach. There’s barely any attempt to try something new like MHA, and I think that’s the real reason why it is currently not as critically well-received.

no it's mha that's not trying with how boring it's characters are and how bad the story is

I had to search to find who you were responding to. That post is from October last year, not sure why you suddenly needed to address it now. And you really need to work on supporting your point if you're trying to make an argument. "The show I like isn't bad, the show you like is bad" isn't really going to convince anyone. State specific examples to demonstrate why your side of the argument makes sense.

what do you mean by last October and i was just giving my opinion like how he compare black clover to a show i don't like so i do see why you are attacking me for having a opinion

Your "opinions" are basically you telling people their wrong while providing nothing to back it up. At least when people crap on BC they give actual reasons for why its crap while you can't be bothered to come up with a valid defense that doesn't involve acting like a child.

Also digging up an old post just to make an immature whine at it is a stupid thing to do.

I did not do anything with an older post now you just making up stuff saying that I didn't try to back of my claim by giving evidence by saying that the things they know about a
The characters are wrong and said how good they are by saying what they have done and how cool they are I also did the opposite of what they did it so do I my hero Academia for some reason which I find to be very bad which is all my opinion you're attacking my opinion just because I don't think my hero Academia is good most likely like everyone else seems to try to do when you insult that so even though it's not that good in my opinion you can accept other people's opinions and try to dismiss mind because you don't agree with it I'm just saying what I feel and yet you are trying to make it look like I'm an immature brat who can't accept others opinion while it's you who's doing that type of immature garbage and try to make it seem like you are the mature one here

Please leave me alone and learn to be mature and accept other people's opinions and not attack someone just because you disagree with them because seriously it's annoying

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:02 am Reply with quote
Scion Drake wrote:
#878863 wrote:
#844391 wrote:
#878863 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Both My Hero Academia and Black Clover are clearly inspired by the success of Naruto; Horikoshi himself has stated Naruto was his primary inspiration (complete with a thumbs up from Kishimoto). And this makes sense, since despite what weebs would have you believe, Naruto remains a massive critical and commercial success, being the best-selling manga in history internationally (not domestic or worldwide; that’s obviously One Piece). So with One Piece remaining what it is and with WSJ trying to forget the fact that Bleach existed, it makes sense that they would try to capitalize off of the only remaining member of the Big Three.

What’s important, though, is how they approach it. MHA takes a more experimental approach, taking the things from Naruto and trying to portray them in opposite lights with hit-or-miss results. Naruto is now far less outspoken and just an ordinary kid (Izuku), Sasuke is now a plain ol’ jerk (Katsuki), Sakura’s sweet side is now far more prevalent than her brash side (Ochako), Jiraiya and his philosophies of peace are made the core from the beginning rather than brought to us gradually (All Might), Gaara and Neji are now one character (Shoto), etc. Black Clover, however, is playing it far safer. Aside from the rivalry being portrayed in a mostly positive light, as opposed to Naruto (which was more lukewarm) and MHA (which is more negative), there’s really nothing here that hasn’t been done better in other shows. It basically takes the characters of Naruto, has them live in the world of Fairy Tail, and enlists them in the system of Bleach. There’s barely any attempt to try something new like MHA, and I think that’s the real reason why it is currently not as critically well-received.

no it's mha that's not trying with how boring it's characters are and how bad the story is

I had to search to find who you were responding to. That post is from October last year, not sure why you suddenly needed to address it now. And you really need to work on supporting your point if you're trying to make an argument. "The show I like isn't bad, the show you like is bad" isn't really going to convince anyone. State specific examples to demonstrate why your side of the argument makes sense.

what do you mean by last October and i was just giving my opinion like how he compare black clover to a show i don't like so i do see why you are attacking me for having a opinion

Your "opinions" are basically you telling people their wrong while providing nothing to back it up. At least when people crap on BC they give actual reasons for why its crap while you can't be bothered to come up with a valid defense that doesn't involve acting like a child.

Also digging up an old post just to make an immature whine at it is a stupid thing to do.

Also I don't see them giving any good reasons when they come and say something is bad about Black Clover they just give vague reasons and don't really try to back it up with any fact so how is that any different from what you're accusing me of doing if anything you're being hypocritical and not doing the same thing to do as guys just because you find my standing up for Black Clover disgusting for some reason
AholePony

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:27 pm Reply with quote
This was the week that I dropped this series. That smoke train thing at the beginning was so stupid I just nope'd right out. Sounds like the rest of the episode had some decent action but I was never really enjoying this shounen much from the get-go. I gave it a fair shot at least. Good luck to the rest of you on the next 30something episodes!
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:09 pm Reply with quote
OK... I have to admit I laughed pretty hard at the parting line for this week's "next episode preview."

spoiler[Being loud is my magic!!!]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I laughed at that, too.

I liked this arc. I was kind of hoping the gang would take Mars back to the Clover Kingdom and that he would become a Magic Knight there. His backstory is one of the few times I've seen an explanation about a "villain" and thought to myself, "okay, I see where you're coming from."
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it makes too much sense that the episode I have the kindest words for also happens to be the one where Asta is unconscious most of the time. I was rooting for the little guy early on, but at the end of the day, I think he's the weakest link in the show's attempts to hit those classic shonen beats.

Imagine if Naruto were unconscious during the battle with Zabuza and Sasuke was the one to defeats him.

Quote:
This episode is incredibly pleasant, right up until the end when Asta wakes up and we have to make an obligatory joke about Noelle's ripped-up clothes. It's less that the show is bad at these tropes and more that the tropes stick out like a sore thumb in a story that doesn't need them.

I wish they'd stop that, too.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:25 pm Reply with quote
I've had mixed feelings about this series since it first started airing. It was obviously being set up as the Next Big Epic Shonen Adventure Series, in the same vein as Naruto, Bleach, and others. But unfortunately, this has also made much of its early storytelling feel somewhat forced, and has had trouble finding its own voice amid all of the other similar shows we've seen before. You can see where it wants to go and it feels like all the elements are there, but it hasn't quite come together satisfactorily. Its getting there, and this last arc has gone a long way towards the series establishing itself, but it still feels just a little off from being the kind of long-running franchise the makers clearly hope it will be.

Asta as the MC is only adequate. While I can sympathize with his underdog identity, so far his rival/friend Yuno has been the more interesting of the two. Asta's screeching is by far the most annoying aspect of him; I've gotten into the habit of preemptivelly hitting mute whenever he's around and reading the subtitles; as the series MC he's the weakest link. Hopefully they'll tone down his screaming, because going forward building your franchise around a character with such an annoying character trait is probably not a recipe for success.

I will sdmit Noelle is starting to grow on me. She's obviously being set up as Asta's love interest (she even has a tsundere moment with him in this last episode), and I'm curious to know more about her back ground. Mamosa, too, also appears to be being set up as Yuno's interest, and with all the signs of there being a heavy emphasis along class lines in this universe, I'm interested to see what kind of drama will come out this.

Overall, Black Clover to date has been decent but not memorable. It still has its work cut out for it if it wants to be The Next Big Long Running Spectacular in anime.

BlackPoint. wrote:
since there are rumors that this gonna have 50~ episodes....

Not rumored; its already been announced by the production company to be 50 episodes. And I assume thats just the floor; so long as it sells well (streaming rights, dvd, merchandising etc.), they'll probably extend that indefinetely. IIRC, Bleach was originally only confirmed for ~40 eps, and that series went to 366 episodes.

Does anyone know how well Black Clover is doing in Japan?
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:51 pm Reply with quote
As a manga reader the one thing that pleasantly surprised my about Ep 19 was the Noelle clothes joke. I fully expected them to do a long drawn out uncomfortable shot of her chest but they kept it quick and simple and didn't make it awkward.

Seems like we're moving right into the next canon arc next episode which is good, the pace is moving up a tad.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
So, anime felt slow going so I decided to check out the manga for a comparison as most people I talked to that read it said it's fast paced and holy shit it is. I'm actually enjoying the manga quite a bit and compared some of the anime episodes to it and the differences are huge, the anime drags scenes out way too long, which isn't surprising as its averaging roughly 1 ep per chapter which puts it similar to One piece's pacing which I also complain about being slow. At this point I'm probably going to put the anime on hold and just read the manga and then come back later to check out some of the key scenes I enjoy in the anime.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
So, anime felt slow going so I decided to check out the manga for a comparison as most people I talked to that read it said it's fast paced and holy shit it is. I'm actually enjoying the manga quite a bit and compared some of the anime episodes to it and the differences are huge, the anime drags scenes out way too long, which isn't surprising as its averaging roughly 1 ep per chapter which puts it similar to One piece's pacing which I also complain about being slow. At this point I'm probably going to put the anime on hold and just read the manga and then come back later to check out some of the key scenes I enjoy in the anime.

The anime has adapted 2 chapters per episodes since ep 15.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:37 am Reply with quote
I think that the way Noelle was treated is on a whole different level than what Asta gets. People mock Asta for not having magic and for wanting to be the Wizard King. Those nobles denigrate Noelle for merely existing. No one is blaming Asta for causing the death of someone, and using what happened as an excuse for their cruelty. That, I'm guessing, is what set off Asta.

Looking forward to Part 2 of the Verbal (and probably physical) beatdown that's about to take place next episode. This is making having to suffer through some of the slower episodes (and Asta's yelling) worth it... well, closer to being worth it.

BTW, I did like how bored Sylph looked earlier when she effortlessly owned Mars. That was pretty neat.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:56 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

BTW, I did like how bored Sylph looked earlier when she effortlessly owned Mars. That was pretty neat.

I believe the idea is less that Slyph is bored and more like she was waking up from a "Who knows how long nap" in the scroll.

Quote:
Everybody we meet at the Magic Knight Headquarters has it out for anybody of lower class, but the Silva family seems to be the worst, humiliating Noelle for her inability to control her magic

Just wanted to make a not on something Sam said here, technically eh Blue Rose, Captain Charlotte and Sol, were kinda neutral, they didn't stop anyone from saying stuff to the others but they didn't participate either. So it's hard to say they have it out for lower class folks.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:48 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
I think that the way Noelle was treated is on a whole different level than what Asta gets. People mock Asta for not having magic and for wanting to be the Wizard King. Those nobles denigrate Noelle for merely existing. No one is blaming Asta for causing the death of someone, and using what happened as an excuse for their cruelty. That, I'm guessing, is what set off Asta.

Looking forward to Part 2 of the Verbal (and probably physical) beatdown that's about to take place next episode. This is making having to suffer through some of the slower episodes (and Asta's yelling) worth it... well, closer to being worth it.

if this was DBZ and sylph was instead baby pan or bra unconsciously owning beerus ala baby gohan headbutt in the nuts, you better believe that would have been considered the 2nd best DBZ moment other than "ITS OVER 9000!"

now that would more or less proved that mars still have emotion if he got "nutbusted!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

though her pausing time and she turning him into her personal bitch is kinda cool as well.

Quote:
So Asta's turning out to be quite the ladykiller, having two girls crushing on him now that Mimosa has developed feelings for him on top of Noelle's tsundere-ness. Mimosa seems to be more open about it than Noelle, so maybe there's a chance she could sweep in and claim him first! Or maybe nothing will happen because of course it won't. I'm still trying to fathom whatever charisma these girls are seeing in poor lil' Asta. Have they heard him speak?!

Oh, well. At least we know he works out.

unfortunately him working THIS out is unlikely considering that most of these shounen jump MC's are completely dense to the opposite sex of their age. not to mention he is STILL obsessed with his man crush over than nun. the only way those two tsunderes will have a chance is if that nun and priest gets "bumped!"

Quote:
The idea that Asta and Yuno are both "chosen ones" in their own right, just on opposite sides of the light and dark spectrum, has been apparent since the beginning, but I'm increasingly taking comfort in the sense that neither is necessarily characteristic of good or evil, and that we'll continue to see the two of them as friends united against the real injustices of the world.

and that have be worried. the last thing me or anyone wants is for those two to develop "frienemy" status ala death note's light & L. or worse! It becomes as toxic as with naruto & saskue!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:32 pm Reply with quote
This is the Arc that really solidified Black Clover for a lot of reasons.

To this day Rades (The one eyed purple haired man) is still my favorite villain, that's not to say later villains are bad, he's just that much fun to watch. I also love that his story and how it ties into the theme of the show posing if spoiler[ If it's worse to be resented, looked down on or pitied]
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:47 pm Reply with quote
I really like Rades's voice actor, he did a great job selling the crazy laughter and just sounds like he's having a blast voicing the character Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 25