• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Clover

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:20 pm Reply with quote
The blind date chapter was so fun in the manga but I laughed even harder seeing it animated.

I’m looking forward to the next arc and time with my favorite Black Blue Gauche
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Alright everyone, the pedophile siscon is getting his own arc starting next episode I think.

So all yawl steel yourself & be warned he is a genuine murderous asshole.
Volthorne

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 28: I almost feel bad for Finral. Almost. Dude needs to stop trying quite so hard, though.

Ep. 29: Recap episodes are usually boring, but I appreciate the effort that was taken to sneak in some expansions to the lore and world-building. Apparently the first Wizard King was able to use more than one type of magic, but in present-day Clover Kingdom (and the rest of the world presumably), magic users are limited to their special "element", so was the first Wizard King an anomaly or is this going to be something we see more of as the series progresses (barring horrific magic-merging experiments)?

Ep. 30: I was... uncomfortable literally almost every time Gauche was on-screen. Rebecca's siblings, on the other hand, are probably the highlight of the episode. Just the perfect mix of childish innocence and "I'm-going-to-embarrass-my-oldest-sibling-at-every-opportunity-because-it's-hilarious". I hope we get to see some more shenanigans from them in the future.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:23 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm in the minority, I like Gauche, it's not even the siscon thing (i don't like it but it doesn't turn me off the character.). I just think he has a cool look, cool magic and cool personality.

But since I explained it on reddit I'll explain it here.

Yes, by the end of the arc the entire reason for him treating Marie the way he does is explained, whether or not you find it satisfying will depend.

Flashback spoilers within
spoiler[Basically Gauche and Marie were the kids of noble parents, not royal like Noelle but nobles like Klaus. Their parents died suddenly in an accident that is heavily implied to have been not so accidental, some distant relative inherits everything, once again in very suspicious circumstances, and dumps the kids on the street. At this point the two only have each other and in order to protect Marie, the only family he has left, Gauche becomes a thief/mugger, which leads to the prison outfit from the flashback in EP 30. Captain Yami picks him up and makes him join the Bulls to provide for Marie and atone for his crimes. Because of what happened in the past Gauche does not trust anyone, he thinks everyone is out to take the last thing he has left, Marie. As a result the theme of this arc is Trust, learning who you should or shouldn't trust and accepting you're not alone. He doesn't "love" Marie in the romantic way, he is hyper obsessed with protecting her cause he's terrified he's going to lose her like he did his parents.]

If that makes you like Gauche more then great! It certainly won't for everyone but the reason he's the way he is with Marie is explained.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:44 am Reply with quote
Thanks for that Snakebit1995.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Did this get dropped? It's been two weeks since the last review but I still see Sam reviewing episodes for One piece and Boku no hero.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
Did this get dropped? It's been two weeks since the last review but I still see Sam reviewing episodes for One piece and Boku no hero.

No, there's just been a scheduling issue recently. The next episode review will go up tomorrow morning and should be on time moving forward.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 12:47 pm Reply with quote
This arc feels flat up to this point for a kinda specific but spoiler reason spoiler[It's only the first half, things start spiraling out of control for our heroes very quickly]

Also I wanted to make a not of something about Gauche, I've seen people saying that he's too much of a siscon, I feel like I should point out once again this is the anime screwing it up.

Like with Sol and Charlotte they're taking a one off joke and beating it into the ground. In the manga Gauche is not "in love" with Marie, he's just over protective. He never has nosebleeds and even if he does it's only once or twice, not every other scene. I don't normally say anything like this, but this is a case of an anime actively hurting a character and depicting them badly.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 10:32 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
This arc feels flat up to this point for a kinda specific but spoiler reason spoiler[It's only the first half, things start spiraling out of control for our heroes very quickly]

Also I wanted to make a not of something about Gauche, I've seen people saying that he's too much of a siscon, I feel like I should point out once again this is the anime screwing it up.

Like with Sol and Charlotte they're taking a one off joke and beating it into the ground. In the manga Gauche is not "in love" with Marie, he's just over protective. He never has nosebleeds and even if he does it's only once or twice, not every other scene. I don't normally say anything like this, but this is a case of an anime actively hurting a character and depicting them badly.

which is the reasons why people should read the manga first! it have a lot of hidden details that wasnt included in the anime and gauche's over-protection of marie is definitely one of them. they basically have the same syndrome complex that plagued the anime and manga versions of bleach which unfortunately lead to the anime's cancellation!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:14 pm Reply with quote
So the end of this episode starts the next part of the arc. Part 1 has a very clear theme of Trust and who you should and shouldn't trust. Gauche can only improve and progress by trusting Asta, Baro get's killed because he foolishly trusts Sally, Neige is taken advantage of by his brother because he trusts him to be the smarter one, Gauche's parents presumably trusted the merchant who set them up, one that's not clear yet but is gonna be show right away next week is, Sally trusts Licht and he comes to save her.

It kinda ties in to what Marie says about people being a collection of the experiences they have with others, these people all had life changing events happen because of who you interact with and trust.

I like this arc cause it keeps ramping up, first the brothers, then Sally, now Licht, and spoiler spoiler[ We're still not done, there's another level of insanely strong people showing up in this arc]

Also loved Mirage Birgade, it's one of my favorite panels in the manga and hearing Asta audition to be a Jojo character while doing it was fun.

Also line of the century in this weeks Petit Clover with "UV Rays are a Fearsome Enemy"
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:15 am Reply with quote
The main thing I found interesting in this episode was Licht's comment about how his people were "beloved" by mana. I think he meant that literally. Also, he seemed to recognize Asta's grimoire.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:23 am Reply with quote
The one reason I really love the Ki lesson is because, it happens in the middle of a fight.

People compare Black Clover to Naruto a lot, but this was different, here Asta is told in the middle of a fight "Learn this right now and use it or you're screwed" if this was Naruto it would have been a whole training arc for learning Ki, not an in the moment struggle. It's not even all that odd since Yami says Asta had been using it and is even surprised how quickly he picks up on it.

Yami is trying to teach him in the moment, but even he doesn't think he'll actually pull it off, it's part of showing Asta's previous hard work sets him up to succeed later, and also that he's a quick learner, remember how he figured out the second sword in the middle of a fight with Mars, or to rebound Magna's fireball when they first met after getting hit by it once.

Asta picks up on techniques and combat skills very quickly.

Anyway we got to see a lot from Licht, I was surprised Valdos specifically referred to the Third Eye, in the manga he just says "Do you want me to call 'Them'"

but based on the preview spoiler[they're showing up next week anyway so it doesn't really matter]

I ended up rereading the Vol this episode and the next two or so are from last night, boy I forgot how much fun this arc is with the nonstop action that just keeps ramping up.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I know Black Clover as a big enough hate fan base, but how the hell cpuld they justify scoring it low enough for one of this year's best episode be at 3.4 lol? This is so dumb lol.

Hopefully it's only temporary.

Anywau, on thos episode. Yami and Asta got so many cool scenes. They were both so cool! Yami is easily one of the coolest.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I've enjoyed the last two episodes more than the rest of the show, but I probably wouldn't go much higher than a 3.4. They did finally up the artwork ante noticeably, but only in select subsets of the fights, this whole arc feels almost as poorly paced and written as the rest of Black Clover, and I feel almost zero emotional investment in any of the characters and their fates. Don't think it deserves a 4+ rating, for example, unless you just mean to rate it relative to the rest of the show, and not relative to the quality of other anime or other anime in its genre.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting to think that someone is holding Sam's family members hostage. Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 25