• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Clover

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xasli#879653

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:41 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Both My Hero Academia and Black Clover are clearly inspired by the success of Naruto; Horikoshi himself has stated Naruto was his primary inspiration (complete with a thumbs up from Kishimoto). And this makes sense, since despite what weebs would have you believe, Naruto remains a massive critical and commercial success, being the best-selling manga in history internationally (not domestic or worldwide; that’s obviously One Piece). So with One Piece remaining what it is and with WSJ trying to forget the fact that Bleach existed, it makes sense that they would try to capitalize off of the only remaining member of the Big Three.

What’s important, though, is how they approach it. MHA takes a more experimental approach, taking the things from Naruto and trying to portray them in opposite lights with hit-or-miss results. Naruto is now far less outspoken and just an ordinary kid (Izuku), Sasuke is now a plain ol’ jerk (Katsuki), Sakura’s sweet side is now far more prevalent than her brash side (Ochako), Jiraiya and his philosophies of peace are made the core from the beginning rather than brought to us gradually (All Might), Gaara and Neji are now one character (Shoto), etc. Black Clover, however, is playing it far safer. Aside from the rivalry being portrayed in a mostly positive light, as opposed to Naruto (which was more lukewarm) and MHA (which is more negative), there’s really nothing here that hasn’t been done better in other shows. It basically takes the characters of Naruto, has them live in the world of Fairy Tail, and enlists them in the system of Bleach. There’s barely any attempt to try something new like MHA, and I think that’s the real reason why it is currently not as critically well-received.

Ok first of all wsj its not trying to make that bleach never existed, and bleach is also a comercial and good succes as manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:05 am Reply with quote
Taifood wrote:
I think I got cancer from watching episode 40. No compelling characters, recycled plot, and awful art half the time?

Count me in.

but it was a decent ep. unfortunately there is another problem the series needs to deal with and that was...........
Quote:
William is put-together and aloof, he practices Light magic, and suspiciously we've never seen him and Batman Licht in the same room

the dub version for some reason had william stated that he doesn't practice light magic which contradict the sub and manga versions of the series! what's up with that? its unlike them to pull an uber gaff with the script on a scale like this!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...shonen cheese and something a little more special.

An apt description of the series as a whole imo. Anyways, I'll forever feel like the show hasn't really started until they show something about the demon in his grimiore. At this point, it feels like being 50 something episodes deep into Naruto but they still haven't shown the sharingan or anything kyuubi related... but they mentioned both and gave the impression they're very powerful things that people would definitely want to use in a fight if everything was on the line.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:27 am Reply with quote
Can I ask an almost off-topic question?

How does ANN decide to cover anime series with per episode reviews?

For example, this show has "So-so" rating while e.g. Chronos Ruler (TV) has "Decent" rating. The later is also a disaster in practice, but still better than "So-so", and yet it did not get per episode reviews.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:59 pm Reply with quote
^Episode reviews are decided at the start of each season by a user poll asking readers which shows they want to see get Daily Streaming Reviews. These typically (but not always) hash out according to how many people are interested in watching a show and are reading the reviews. There are outliers (sometimes a show gets picked up because it's a stinker and the readers want to see the reviewer take it to task, other times a show that initially missed the DSR threshold gets brought in thanks to reader request) but generally a show's premiere needs to garner enough interest to justify covering it for 12+ weeks. Black Clover has managed to stick around because people want to read the reviews (and are thus presumably watching it) while Chronus Ruler...didn't.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Thanks.

This show is amazing for the fact that it is so bad, and yet people are crash-watching it for some reason and even read the per-episode reviews.

Is it one of the "it is so bad that it is good" cases?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I am watching it cause I like it. It is not the greatest thing in the world, but it is entertaining to me and keeps my interest. So no hate watching here.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Just an FYI, but whisper dude got left behind, so the whole squad isn't on this mission.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:12 am Reply with quote
Hummm isn't this whole mission a race against time for the Black Bulls Sam? The midnight Sun dropping in was sure to happen. I think it was an awesome episode. Asta's start of the fight was super funny as we started to learn more about Asta new opponent, then every Black Bull had their small moment which were all quite fun to watch too. Mainly Charmy, she's the best.

I fail to understand your review this time as I feel it comes out of nowhere it term of critic. Almost like you just didn't feel like watching it. Some of your points sounds way too soon to be complained about.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:50 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Hummm isn't this whole mission a race against time for the Black Bulls Sam? The midnight Sun dropping in was sure to happen. I think it was an awesome episode. Asta's start of the fight was super funny as we started to learn more about Asta new opponent, then every Black Bull had their small moment which were all quite fun to watch too. Mainly Charmy, she's the best.

I fail to understand your review this time as I feel it comes out of nowhere it term of critic. Almost like you just didn't feel like watching it. Some of your points sounds way too soon to be complained about.

agreed! we all knew that the midnight sun would show up in this arc and from the opening theme it would be the despair.

sure it doesnt make sense now, but it will in the later eps when the series reaches the witches arc!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kokuryu Daimao

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And now here's a list of reasons why these highlights just don't work in the grand scheme of things:

It all sucks.

I'm starting to think that reviewers need to eat before writing because someone sounds Hangry.

Jokes aside, the critic has some merit. The story hasn't been very clear or compelling.

Although I will say that being tired of the Midnight Sun being in every arc is like saying you're tired of Cobra being in Every G.I. Joe arc.

So far they have been the driving force against the Clover Kingdom for a reason we have yet to know. Instead of eyerolling every time they appear, and nitpicking on character design, try to look at the characters and if they work for the story.
pikabot

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:41 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And now here's a list of reasons why these highlights just don't work in the grand scheme of things:

It all sucks.

Go ahead, tell us how you really feel.

Jokes aside, the root cause of this is that the manga’s author, Yuki Tabata, has an awareness of useful tropes and story structures common to shonen manga, but plainly has no idea how they actually work. He’s always in such a hurry to get to the payoff that he skips past all the setup that would actually make it work. What should be moments of great emotional catharsis for the audience are, instead, empty imitators of similar scenes from other shonen manga, because he hasn’t laid any of the necessary groundwork.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:44 am Reply with quote
Lol mt comment got deleted? Alright.

I think it was an awesome episode for me as a big Luck fan, we easily got one of this week's best animated moment. They really nailed the fast speed of the battle. It really shined. I think this was well complemented by the flashback between him and Magna. Finished with a bang too.

Asta's zen mode was 10/10. Is that what Sam's think is a new skill he learned? Pretty sure KI is still his only new skill.

I think Vetto is also a really cool design for a villain, but the anime doesn't do his manga counterpart justice imo. They really sell his despair feeling super well in the manga. Tabata is just really an amazing artist.

But I do think Sam to be already tired, for some unknown reason, of the midnight sun to be kind of random. They are the main villain and the black bulls are aiming for the magic stones they want. Why would they not send one of their big boss after them? They already know how strong Yami is.

I think this arc as been really fun for now and Sam's sudden 180 on the show, going with it just sucks is kind of lame yea. It's not like his reason for suddenly hating the show will disappear too. Vetto is the big bad for this arc, he's here to stay. Hopefully he gets in a better mood soon, cause these last 2 reviews felt very random imo compared to everything else he wrote.

This amazing Luck fight makes me really hopeful for future fights.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I gotta say..... that is one ugly thumbnail for this episode.

Like really, really but ugly.

Then again I never did like how the faces are drawn in this series, especially the teeth & eyes. Laughing
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Just as Asta is starting to lose his fight, Vetto and Kahono arrive to save the day.

You mean Noelle and Kahono.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 25