• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Clover

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
Quote:
Just as Asta is starting to lose his fight, Vetto and Kahono arrive to save the day.

You mean Noelle and Kahono.

Fun fact, this originally said "Asta and Kahono," which I knew to be incorrect (he couldn't have rescued himself) but I haven't been watching the show, so I gambled on which name was right. Thanks for telling me the real one! :')
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:23 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Zhou-BR wrote:
Quote:
Just as Asta is starting to lose his fight, Vetto and Kahono arrive to save the day.

You mean Noelle and Kahono.

Fun fact, this originally said "Asta and Kahono," which I knew to be incorrect (he couldn't have rescued himself) but I haven't been watching the show, so I gambled on which name was right. Thanks for telling me the real one! :')

What's extra fun is that I saw someone point the mistake out, first thought "Did Jake change something?", but then saw the full quote and knew I must have brainfarted.

Turns out both things were true.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:44 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:

Yay, I knew hate-watching this show every week would be good for something. Smile
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Is the manga better? I don't hate the anime, but I feel totally indifferent towards it, and typically just find myself coding or drawing or surfing the web or anything other than watching it as I leave it on, which I think is in a serious sense worse than hating it. I just feel nothing towards it, because it just seems to go through the motions of being a show.

Last edited by NeverConvex on Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
^While I'm far from a fan of the manga I would definitely say it's better than the anime. For one, the manga is way faster paced - which isn't always a good thing, but it means even if you're not having a great time with it you're at least spending less time with it, and there are several fights that have worked way better because they didn't wear out their welcome like in the anime.

Also, just in terms of consistency the art is way better. Tabata's ambition occasionally gets the best of him and he'll do a spread that's too complex to read well, but overall the fights are easy to follow and well choreographed. While the 2nd half of the anime's had some neat, isolated cuts of animation, on the whole the fights feel really stiff and weightless.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, that makes sense. "Faster paced" is only generally good because most long-running shounen anime adaptations quickly begin to do the opposite and take a reasonably paced product and turn it into 90% filler with the occasional canon episode. (And, worse, those properties do this by saturating the show with the most lifeless, least well-considered "filler" stories a middle schooler could dream up in their spare time, heh; MHA is the only long-running shounen show I've seen that has seemed to care about quality and continuity in its filler.)

Bummer about the art as well. I don't *really* care about the art, as I think other elements tend to carry the day, but you can certainly tell in the rare instances where Black Clover's had the money/time/priority to focus itself on art. Some of its standout fights have been pretty eye-catching (though still never really catching up to the rest of the genre when it comes to stand-out fights and their artwork or emotional toll, admittedly).
SAG4

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:06 pm Reply with quote
It can be said that from this point on, the work becomes a little more adult. As far as possible. For example, various enemy attacks begin to kill more and the scenes are explicit. We had serious scenes in the third bow with the personnel being eaten by zombies, and the Fuegoleon have lost an arm, in the cave the children lost their mana, but the problem is how the anime adapts it.
In the manga it is easier to contemplate these scenes, and has no comic scenes to brighten up. It's an anime problem.
As a fan of the manga, and I know that the bows of BC are pretty simple, but since this is in most people the best (for having moments like we had in this episode 46), and you criticized several episodes that were welcomed with a good valuation, the problem lies in how the anime unrolled the material in hand. And it's already clear that it was not the right way.
The manga is much more direct, the art is very beautiful and clear, and for being a manga, you have time to read the different anime information that you need to 'follow' when they are given. So you thought it strange that Vetto appeared in the dungeon, and that was already said by Julius. And another, the people who were on the beach were under Julius' command, in the manga Sekke is there for that reason too (it's the bridge to the episode 11/12 of the anime when Julius disguised as an old woman, says Sekke has an interesting magic), in the anime they've changed and it's there for no reason.
In short, in manga it is easier to connect and get excited about what is happening, since it is more objective, with great action scenes, a very good art, and you can enjoy the work for what it is proposed to be, a simple battle shonen.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:31 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The repetition of ideas in this show is staggering. "Even a poor orphan can become Wizard King!" Two seconds later: "Even a poor orphan can become Wizard King!" Then a whole five seconds might go by before, "Hey, you know what? EVEN A POOR ORPHAN CAN BECOME WIZARD KING!!!" Oi freaking vey.

Thankfully we don't have Asta yelling that as loud as he can as often as he used to. Poor VA probably had no voice after recording lines.

Bet Noelle will learn healing magic next because, of course female characters in shounen anime can only ever be useful healing.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
Bet Noelle will learn healing magic next because, of course female characters in shounen anime can only ever be useful healing.

Well, if you conveniently ignore every other female character in the cast, then, I suppose...
SAG4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, you can say that the manga from that point / arc has a different climate, the manga clearly begins to have its own identity. Identity that has been most visibly shown in this and the previous arc. The dialogues and interactions become more Black Clover, because the manga had the basic outline and narrative line of the various battle shounen, not that it will try to be different, but BC creates a personality / identity of its own as I said.
It is what I think. Looking forward to the next arc, I hope will have a good animation.
feitan000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 49 is freaking amazing! The show gets better and better, can't wait for the upcoming arcs
Nodz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:52 pm Reply with quote
The worse in episode 51 was Sylph's design. She looked ugly as hell!
SAG4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
As a fan I also did not like this episode, it is poorly done. I would say that at the same level as 31, but it's an anime problem, because in manga the art is very beautiful, the action scenes dynamic and pacing do not make you feel boring.
The content next episodes will be better, and this is a mini arc, only will have two more episodes.
joe_g7

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
SAG4 wrote:
but it's an anime problem, because in manga the art is very beautiful, the action scenes dynamic and pacing do not make you feel boring.
That would be relevant if the guy was reviewing the manga, but he's not.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:34 am Reply with quote
joe_g7 wrote:
SAG4 wrote:
but it's an anime problem, because in manga the art is very beautiful, the action scenes dynamic and pacing do not make you feel boring.
That would be relevant if the guy was reviewing the manga, but he's not.

no its clear that he didn't EVEN READ THE MANGA!!

otherwise the review would have been at least a C and not a D ala darling in the franxx type of bad!!!

this mini arc was bound to happen whether or not someone read the manga!!!

hopefully the reviewer wouldnt need to worry now that the the upcoming season will feature the anticipated witches arc!

the problem is that some of the characters that will be featured in that arc was originally light novel filler characters that was made canon! they probably could have had that LN arc show before the temple arc! how will they be able to include them for next season is beyond me at this point!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 25