• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Clover

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Isn't there a bit of an issue with the whole star thing with the Black Bulls? Didn't they just break even after the Water Temple arc? Afterwards all that happened was them helping to stop the Diamond kingdom from invading and an unofficial mission to the Witches Forest (though that did net them another magic stone). And the other Black Bulls weren't doing missions during the Witches Forest arc, they were just looking for ways to help heal Asta. So how did they manage to jump all the way to over a hundred stars?
yanv

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Mereoleona is truly the best female character in this series. Easily!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:25 pm Reply with quote
^ Please give me more competent, bad-ass female characters.
Ultimate N

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Marimo0 wrote:
Isn't there a bit of an issue with the whole star thing with the Black Bulls? Didn't they just break even after the Water Temple arc? Afterwards all that happened was them helping to stop the Diamond kingdom from invading and an unofficial mission to the Witches Forest (though that did net them another magic stone). And the other Black Bulls weren't doing missions during the Witches Forest arc, they were just looking for ways to help heal Asta. So how did they manage to jump all the way to over a hundred stars?

They might have just been looking for ways to heal Asta, but they protected an entire land from a literal army of the Diamond Kingdom, took out one of their generals, defeated another one of the top members of the eye of the midnight sun, made peace with the With Forest, and got another Magic Stone. They did a LOT in that arc, and that's just them. Sure it may not have seemed like a lot, I would still argue the rest of the Black Bulls accomplished something when they failed to find a way to heal Asta
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:02 am Reply with quote
Ultimate N wrote:
Marimo0 wrote:

They might have just been looking for ways to heal Asta, but they protected an entire land from a literal army of the Diamond Kingdom, took out one of their generals, defeated another one of the top members of the eye of the midnight sun, made peace with the With Forest, and got another Magic Stone. They did a LOT in that arc, and that's just them. Sure it may not have seemed like a lot, I would still argue the rest of the Black Bulls accomplished something when they failed to find a way to heal Asta

I'm not saying they didn't accomplish much in that arc. But they didn't do that much more than what they did in the Water Temple arc, save for fighting off Diamond Kingdom people too at the Witches Forest and Kiten. And also note, after the Sosshi mission, they were up to -30. Then then searched a dungeon which involved fighting off some Diamond Kingdom mages, helped out with the undead invasion, rescued a bunch of kids from the Eye of the Midnight Sun, and then accomplished the Water Temple mission which only then got them to 0. And then after Kiten and the Witches Forest it's jumped up to 101 in time for the Star Awards festival. The speech back then gave off the idea that they were trying harder than normal throughout the year because of Asta, but it's more like the end of the Harry Potter books where Gryffindor gains a bunch of points all at once and win the house cup. It was ultimately just one or two events that the main characters happened to be involved in that gave them those points.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:43 pm Reply with quote
The one thing I did really like about Episode 75 is that Kirsch, for all of his silliness and general bigotry, *does* seem to know his stuff. He actually did teach both of his teammates ways to improve their abilities, and then crushed the mooks they were up against. The humor this time also worked fairly well for me. Not a great episode (few are), but it wasn't too shabby, either.
Sekaro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:34 pm Reply with quote
The episode 76 review says that its weird how none of the Purple Orcas involved in the tournament hasn't realised Xerx as an imposter but didn't the show already established that they couldn't recognise him because he was always stationed far away from home? I know this still doesn't mean much but maybe its just coincidental that not a single Purple Orcas member who knew Xerx was involved in the tournament :p
SAG4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:52 am Reply with quote
Rill was always a kid who did not communicate much, he was a recluse, so when he won his grimoire he tried to get to the screen what he felt inside, his emotions trapped. He held on to his feelings, until the moment Walter says he can count on others, open up and have a much bigger canvas to paint, which would be the real world / the magic knights. He could not do this, stuck in that little empty screen (which was his room). He tried to pass on his feelings, wanting to put them out, but could not do it in the bedroom alone and his mother and the others did not understand that and what was he going through. He saw his magic as a way of conveying his repressed feelings, and no one understood that except Walter.
That's why the room was destroyed and the light beating on his face, showing that his blank canvas expanded, and his adventures in the magic knight are the color that will paint the best picture.
Toonces

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 76

Watching this dubbed, so I'm a bit behind. The above poster makes some interesting points that are perhaps better established in the manga, but didn't come across too well here. Upon reflection, I can see where the friends thing comes from. Rill has consistently tried to be a calming factor amongst the big egos of the captains, although he generally fails because he is socially stunted. I can see where they're coming from, but they haven't done a stellar job with his arc in conveying that. The story here was also a bit muddled in general. The idea that he needs to broaden his horizons and develop new friends and experiences to be a good artist is fine, but the delivery was clunky.

Him being a wunderkind and shooting up the ranks is fine, though Sam is right that it is weird that nobody in his squad seems to care about him... I get that a select few characters from the different squads outside of the Black Bulls and Golden Dawn get any focus, but even the new girl on Sekke and Langris' team could've weighed in. Then again one captain is perpetually asleep, so maybe squad interaction isn't all that required for captains.

Also, for the life of me I can barely recall any interactions Rill has had with Asta? Outside of the usual buzz Asta gets from the captains. Even when they fought Poizot, I didn't recall much interaction there. I'm just now starting the manga, so maybe I'll pick up on it.

As for the Xerx stuff, it's established that nobody in his squad actually knows Xerx... Which is very weird (literally no one present outside of Marx and Julius?), but at least the real one has an important enough job to justify it.
SAG4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:29 am Reply with quote
We really had unimportant fights that lasted 1 episode, and this two, but we will have others like Finral vs. Langris that will last 1 episode, and probably the last episode of this arc (83) will have 3 fights.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 5:52 am Reply with quote
Toonces wrote:
Episode 76

Watching this dubbed, so I'm a bit behind. The above poster makes some interesting points that are perhaps better established in the manga, but didn't come across too well here. Upon reflection, I can see where the friends thing comes from. Rill has consistently tried to be a calming factor amongst the big egos of the captains, although he generally fails because he is socially stunted. I can see where they're coming from, but they haven't done a stellar job with his arc in conveying that. The story here was also a bit muddled in general. The idea that he needs to broaden his horizons and develop new friends and experiences to be a good artist is fine, but the delivery was clunky.

Him being a wunderkind and shooting up the ranks is fine, though Sam is right that it is weird that nobody in his squad seems to care about him... I get that a select few characters from the different squads outside of the Black Bulls and Golden Dawn get any focus, but even the new girl on Sekke and Langris' team could've weighed in. Then again one captain is perpetually asleep, so maybe squad interaction isn't all that required for captains.

Also, for the life of me I can barely recall any interactions Rill has had with Asta? Outside of the usual buzz Asta gets from the captains. Even when they fought Poizot, I didn't recall much interaction there. I'm just now starting the manga, so maybe I'll pick up on it.

As for the Xerx stuff, it's established that nobody in his squad actually knows Xerx... Which is very weird (literally no one present outside of Marx and Julius?), but at least the real one has an important enough job to justify it.

nospoiler[ not even they know that xerx is an imposter!!!]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:46 am Reply with quote
I bailed on the series because I couldn't take Asta's voice and have been watching on Adult Swim, so I'm only up to ep 70, where Asta and Yuna get recognized at the Star Festival and the King lays out the entire plan of attack against the Midnight Sun publicly, leaving out only the launch date.

This seemed...unwise. It reminded me of when Trump casually gave classified intel to the Russians just for bragging rights and outed an Israeli intelligence operation in the process. I don't understand why the Wizard King didn't try to shut him up and instead just let him reveal their entire hand to the world.
SAG4

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:00 am Reply with quote
This is the problem of tracking something weekly, you do not always remember what happened or was said in previous moments. From the beginning it was made clear that the tournament was to test the skills of the knights as a group.
Magna and Leopold do not need to be in the tournament because Mereoleona can easily replace them as a fire user. Magna has created a new ability, but it really did not seem very useful in Julius's view, so being disapproved does not just mean ''for that occasion you were left out, but next time maybe'' because of that he decided to train. Just like Leopold is not strong enough to be worthy to be a part of.
And the tournament was also used to show the level of the characters as Asta and Yuno, Yuno who easily won against the third strongest of the Golden Dawn (Alecdora). And that may not seem to have much relevance, in addition he practically tied with a captain, shows that he is already the second strongest of the squad. This will most likely prove quite important in the future.
Obviously Rill did not know that. He is a sloppy captain, because of this he was last in the squad ranks.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:37 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I bailed on the series because I couldn't take Asta's voice and have been watching on Adult Swim, so I'm only up to ep 70, where Asta and Yuna get recognized at the Star Festival and the King lays out the entire plan of attack against the Midnight Sun publicly, leaving out only the launch date.

This seemed...unwise. It reminded me of when Trump casually gave classified intel to the Russians just for bragging rights and outed an Israeli intelligence operation in the process. I don't understand why the Wizard King didn't try to shut him up and instead just let him reveal their entire hand to the world.

but why? i mean the english dub's far better than the sub's voice for asta who more or less everyone agrees was like nails on a chalkboard!!!

yea sure there are times that the VA do go a little overboard with the comedy parts, but what would have been worse? having that VA or allowing funi to instead have another female VA voice asta which unfortunately some people are kinda sick of seeing cause its becoming WAY too often!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:41 am Reply with quote
Yeah, episode 93 was easily one of the 2-3 best of the series. I really liked Julius as a character (even though I knew, from spoilers I'd seen, that he was going to die), and he will be missed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 20 of 25