• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Black Clover

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Niello

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:18 pm Reply with quote
The strongest thing Black Clover has going for it is definitely the comedy, which I will be sticking around for. It's the department that I feel a lot of battle shounen don't do too well on (except maybe FMA). Yami is gold.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I actually found myself missing the annoying Japanese Asta.

I finally resorted to muting it altogether whenever he was on screen. Made it infinitely more watchable. I mean, I thought he'd calmed down a bit over the last couple episodes, which made me hope that someone was getting the message and they were gradually trying to tone him down, but he was cranked back up to 11 again, so I guess they're married to that presentation.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
I actually found myself missing the annoying Japanese Asta.

I finally resorted to muting it altogether whenever he was on screen. Made it infinitely more watchable. I mean, I thought he'd calmed down a bit over the last couple episodes, which made me hope that someone was getting the message and they were gradually trying to tone him down, but he was cranked back up to 11 again, so I guess they're married to that presentation.

at least no one can complain about the english dub version of asta. for a lot of people actually liked the dub versions for both asta and yunno.

hopefully we can see the VA for asta in more young male roles his age instead of resorting to using female VAs to voice younger boys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Like you said in the review, that smile from Yuno in ep 4 when Asta bitchslaps that phony is so good. I also agree that I really liked how that stuff didn't get as under Asta's skin as you'd expect, it usually goes so strongly the other way.

Niello wrote:
The strongest thing Black Clover has going for it is definitely the comedy, which I will be sticking around for. It's the department that I feel a lot of battle shounen don't do too well on (except maybe FMA). Yami is gold.

Definitely enjoyed the taste of the voices we got this week of a couple of the rest of the main crew in ep 4, the latest dub ep, so can't wait to hear the rest of them. Smile
Goober2049

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:23 am Reply with quote
I don't know if it's just that I haven't seen that many tsundere characters, but so far this feels like one of the fastest turnarounds from cold to friendly that I've seen. Unless she goes back to being cold again, she went from being a jerk towards Asta & the group to being friendly with them inside of the same episode that she was formally introduced.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:11 am Reply with quote
It was a fast turnaround, but I think that's because Noelle isn't actually a tsundere. Her attitude towards Asta and the others was entirely situational as opposed to personality based. She was so used to being scorned for not being able to control her magic that she reflexively took a snotty stance as a defense mechanism. As soon as she realized she was in with a group that accepted her and, in fact, is willing to help her try and control her magic, the defense mechanism was no longer needed and therefore abandoned. That's my theory, in any case, I guess we'll see.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:04 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
It was a fast turnaround, but I think that's because Noelle isn't actually a tsundere. Her attitude towards Asta and the others was entirely situational as opposed to personality based. She was so used to being scorned for not being able to control her magic that she reflexively took a snotty stance as a defense mechanism. As soon as she realized she was in with a group that accepted her and, in fact, is willing to help her try and control her magic, the defense mechanism was no longer needed and therefore abandoned. That's my theory, in any case, I guess we'll see.

unfortunately the later volumes of the manga spoiler[more or less proves she is a tsundere. sure its wont be as bad ala sakura haruno, but close enough. especially when she gets mixed up with asta.]

[Edit]: added spoiler tags. Errinundra.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:44 am Reply with quote
Come on man you've been at ANN long enough to know that if you provide information from source material that hasn't appeared in the anime yet, you need to use spoiler tags. The information you pass along is minor but I feel I need to point this out in case anybody thinks it's cool to pass along more important stuff. It's not.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Come on man you've been at ANN long enough to know that if you provide information from source material that hasn't appeared in the anime yet, you need to use spoiler tags. The information you pass along is minor but I feel I need to point this out in case anybody thinks it's cool to pass along more important stuff. It's not.

well yea i know all about the spoiler system since I've been here for years, but how could what i say be spoilers?

this right there is new to me.

I mean, its basically an MO for all shonen jump type series to have the main female character to be a tsundere, so its was kinda obvious whether or not someone read the source materials. i know what is considered to be a spoiler, and i do use it like when it comes to plots and the storylines and characters that haven't made an appearance, but i didn't think that was considered to be a spoiler. if it was i would have used it.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
he doesn't like people taking about the manga, game, light novel, etc. in a discussion thread about the anime. he doesn't want to know what's coming, and thus wants people to place discussions about the source material in spoilers tags. simple as that
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote
@ jr240483 - I don't want to belabor the point because a mod has already taken action and getchman has further explained my viewpoint, but I'll add to what I said above: I wasn't so much chuffed by your point as I was about the possibility that a newer poster to ANN might read your, "unfortunately the later volumes of the manga" etc and conclude, "oh cool, we're free to talk about stuff that happens in source material that hasn't shown up in the anime yet without using spoiler tags." So my point wasn't directed against your post specifically so much as it was in trying to make sure that people understand that ALL discussion of future events - no matter how trivial or supposedly "obvious" it may be needs to be in spoiler tags.

On a different note, I am surprised how little we've seen of Yuta in the last few episodes. This is just an observation, not an invitation for manga readers to let me know, "hey, don't worry, he starts showing up again __________."
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:58 am Reply with quote
I wonder if they saw the negative feedback they were getting, because Asta's voice doesn't seem anywhere near as loud and annoying in the new episode. Or maybe it's a coincidence?
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:35 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
I wonder if they saw the negative feedback they were getting, because Asta's voice doesn't seem anywhere near as loud and annoying in the new episode. Or maybe it's a coincidence?

Are the Japanese giving negative feedback? Cause we don't matter. But I doubt it. When one of haikyu's VA died it took like 8 episodes for the VA in the anime to change. These things are recorded super in advance and I doubt they would instantly react to some contreversy online.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
My ears were close to bleeding again, thanks to Asta. The boy apparently can't do a task without screaming at the top of his lungs. But that's nothing new, I guess. Confused
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
With regards to the ep 8 review:

The scene where Asta asks what magic knights do was like 3 pages in the manga. Which then immediately skips to "OK, Asta and Noelle are going on a mission because we lost a bet!" which takes up another 6 pages. So yes, they spent 23 minutes on what was originally half of a chapter, the other 9 pages will be in the next episode (and hopefully not be fillered out again).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 25