• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jūni Taisen: Zodiac War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Didn't Horse get killed before Rooster? Or did he run away? I know we twice didn't see him die, but Ox walked away from that battle.

A decent rule to keep in mind (especially for bloody battle royals) is all off screen/implied deaths are fake.

I find the series so far fine, though it's a little irksome that the better action sequences have been from flashbacks rather than the actual battle royal fights (if you could call them that). Hell, now that I think about it, the best action we've seen from the battle royal so far was boar vs rabbit and that was all in boar's head. Other than that, we've had ox vs steel pacifist, zombie turret vs hungry crows, and a series of 1-hit KOs.

I'm hoping there will be some more back and forth in the later fights at least.
Clarste

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:48 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure Ox isn't using a katana like the review says. To me it looks more like a saber or some other European curved sword.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I really hope they aren't dying in the reverse zodiac order (as illustrated by the ending song). Suspense over who will survive is one of the only things that battle royale stories have going for them, so knowing the order people die in really ruins the story.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know what the zodiac order is and I'm not going to look it up so I can keep it a surprise if that is the case.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the show way more than I thought. Initially I was sort of taking it semi seriously until the necromancer, sorry necromantist, showed up and started turning people into zombies while wearing a bunny outfit. After that I just laughed and threw serious out the window and just enjoyed the series for what it is.
Clarste

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:02 am Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
I really hope they aren't dying in the reverse zodiac order (as illustrated by the ending song). Suspense over who will survive is one of the only things that battle royale stories have going for them, so knowing the order people die in really ruins the story.

I'm 95% sure it's not even supposed to be a surprise to the target audience. It's basically a bizarre retelling of the Zodiac animal origin myth, especially with everyone constantly reaffirming that Ox is the favored to win.

So if anyone's expecting to get enjoyment out fo the order of deaths, I would prepare to be disappoint. How they die and who they are (backstories) seems more the point so far, although I wouldn't put it past Nisio to play with our expectations anyway. The format for this is quite similar to Katanagatari, and who could forget episode 4 of that show?
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
The "chicken" episode was okay, but sot of left me wanting more. That has been similar with the prior episodes. I think Chicken was the most interesting out of the characters that have been killed thus far, so i would have liked to know more about her. However, this is how the show works... so I can only complain so much. Also, her end was kind of anticlimactic I thought. Sometimes it can be good when a show gets straight to the point, as I tend to get annoyed by the shows that love endlessly beating around the bush (ahem, Bleach). However, I thought her ending was too straight to the point (no pun intended).

That being said, I am suspecting at this point that Monkey's power is that she can cause other people to fight and die for her, not in a mind control way like Rabbit, but instead she has some kind of charm power that causes them to ally with her? That's what it seemed like anyway. This show has become slightly more interesting as of this episode, but I still have it in my "trashy entertainment" bin for now.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:12 pm Reply with quote
Monkey is such a great character. Ganbatte Sharyu!

I think I'm revising my guess about Rat's talent from hypnosis/dream manipulation to time travel.

Last edited by 鏡 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:50 pm; edited 3 times in total
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 4 was definitely my favorite of the series so far and Monkey has now become my favorite character as well. Her background was interesting to see and I will also be wishing her good luck towards her goal. Looks like sheep is next week, so I’ll be looking forward to see how the show decides to handle that. (Note that I do not know what the zodiac order is as I personally want to keep some level of surprise for me as the series goes on and thus would not want someone here telling me about it. Please and thank you.)

EDIT: Oh. After reading James Beckett’s review for it, I guess I was incorrect to feel the way I did and shouldn’t have been as invested in Monkey as I was initially.

Last edited by Joshua Zarate on Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
I was thinking the show would need to change up killing off the titled and backstoried character to avoid being too predictable, and unless something happens near the beginning of the next episode, it looks like they did just that. I did want Monkey not to die, as it would be kind of a waste with her plans unfulfilled and not even revealed. I did like hearing about her backstory, so I didn't think it was a bad thing that we focused mostly on it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:02 am Reply with quote
And for the third time, we don't see Horse die. Very Happy This is starting to get ridiculous.

Yeah, this was the first episode so far to really engage me emotionally, so none of the criticisms in the review really registered with me. If things were constantly off-model, I guess I was too involved in the story to notice (not that I usually notice anyway, unless it's as god-awful as the limited animation in Dynamic Chord).

Hmm, I thought it was other countries that saw the new country as a threat and quashed it since the warring countries were too weakened by decades of war. I guess it wasn't clear to me who the "allied forces" were. Anyway, interesting to see Boar strolling through the camp with the victors.

If Monkey gets killed, I'm going to be really sad, particularly for her partner waiting for her to come home.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:

EDIT: Oh. After reading James Beckett’s review for it, I guess I was incorrect to feel the way I did and shouldn’t have been as invested in Monkey as I was initially.

You are of course allowed to feel however you like. These reviews are, as always, just my personal opinion, and I wouldn't want anyone to ever feel like they're being judged for disagreeing with me Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:38 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't argue that Monkey and Rat's discourse was some masterpiece of sophisticated philosophical exchange but it went a bit further than James's dismissal of it as a "basic debate of Nihilism vs. Optimism." I thought it was interesting when Rat pointed out that Monkey had basically sent Chicken to her death by leeching away her will to fight and then letting her go back outside. Same with Monkey's point when she responds to Rat's statement that nobody has saved more lives than her by noting the flipside was also true: nobody had failed to save more lives than her. Rat's attitude is not really nihilistic as it is cynical and Monkey rather wryly notes that his outlook really shows that he is a teenager.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:13 am Reply with quote
SleepySkull wrote:
...And the other Snake twin is still alive and scheming as well.

Er, the Tatsumi twin that's still properly alive is not the snake. He's the dragon.

That aside, I'm three episodes in and liking it a tonne. Shonen Jump's online manga serialisation is making this a game of "who does it better? Akira Akatsuki (who I'm not familiar with) vs. Naoto Hosoda (I'll just mention Devil is a Part-timer! is one of my all-time favourite comedies)?"

They're quite even at the moment, since the manga has an original character who functions as an exposition insert (and I've got my eye on him, just in case he does anything suspicious) but the anime has colour, sound and, y'know, animation to go with it.

I do half-expect the serialisation to stop at any moment though, because putting Juuni Taisen's manga all online for anyone with Flash Player to get at would be bad for the money side of things...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:59 am Reply with quote
Watching this episode, it occurred to me how perverse it is for Ox to dress like a matador. It's kinda like if Chicken had dressed up like Col. Sanders.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:33 am Reply with quote
How ironic that you would make that comment mere hours after All Hallow's Eve, Gina. It's the same principle: we don the costumes of things we fear to ward off evil. Geez. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7