• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jūni Taisen: Zodiac War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Haven't gotten to 9 yet. But I was surprised that I was able to breeze through 7 episodes in one sitting. Yeah, I started at 8 and finished by 1pm before taking my niece out.

It's good but I feel that the series is kinda weak in some instances. In a way it's like a quick guilty pleasure. I feel there could be more to it. But I often wondered why they concentrated on a select few backstories but ignored others. So I've been trying to see if those back stories being covered connect to the big picture in some way.

I guess by the time I get back it will be over. But I better not know who. But I think I have an idea based on the classic tale. Unless the creator pulls a full 180.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
Even though it was a mess, you've gotta admit the latest episode had some great animation. Probably the best we've had since the show started.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
This anime is boring in the extreme nothing at this point can save it! Poor storytelling lack of a good experience equals forgettable anime! Bs I cry to those who say otherwise![/code]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Ep 10,

The biggest issue I have with the flashbacks, they drag out way too long. They explain the character's past/motivations etc but just take too much screen time doing so. I was actually enjoying the flashback at the beginning of the episode, especially Ushii's speech about making a choice to do the right thing, but it felt too long after that. At least it didn't take the whole episode.

But seriously, that Necromantist power is OPAF, but those cut up body parts shouldn't have even had the muscle needed to move around properly. If Ushii had sliced him up into salami slices that should have stopped him from doing anything, then just collect the jewel and he's set.
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Heh, sometimes I feel like I'm not watching the same show as James. I thought this was another fantastic episode once again. I absolutely loved Ox's speech to Tiger about doing the right thing and the final scene was a great send-off for Tiger. Knowing these characters are all going to die hasn't made it any more difficult to get invested in them and even feel sad when they do kick the bucket. To me, that speaks to how good the writing actually is. But, I suppose different strokes for different folks.

That being said, if I could make one complaint about the series in general: If you're going to break the structure you've set up and give Tiger two episodes, while not giving Bunny one at all, why not break it earlier and just cut the Twins down to one episode? We certainly didn't need to spend so much time with either of them.
James_Beckett
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
I'm not really sure how the show is getting off ostensibly being a message about how bad war is and simultaneously making the "genius of slaughter" the one most capable of "doing the right thing". I guess the implication is that Ox only fights righteous wars, the existence of which definitely muddles an anti-war reading of the show. The death of Monkey so early in the show combined with the framing of Ox in the latest episode tells me that the show is not so much trying to be a wholesale condemnation of war as....some other kind of comment on its necessity or virtuous practice. I guess we'll see when spoiler[Ox dies to Rat.]

This is a very good observation, regarding the show perhaps being more preoccupied with the nature of virtue on the battlefield than the adverse affects of war itself. You're on point with the muddling of the message, too, and I think a lot of that has to do with the way it focuses only on one character at a time. The Juni Taisen tournament has begun to feel like an afterthought in the show that bears its name, because every week we spend most of our time delving in to backstories that have little, if not nothing, to do with the plot at hand. This makes it incredibly difficult to pin down what the show is actually trying to say, since there isn't any strong narrative through line that can provide context for each of the individuals' ethical codes and behaviors. Everyone is here is both a victim of and a perpetrator of endless warfare, yes, but that is more of a statement of fact than a theme in and of itself.

If the show did a better job of contextualizing the Zodiac Warriors' actions in the present, instead of spending so much time obsessing over exposition and tedious flashbacks, it would have a much easier time of turning its nascent ideas into legitimately engaging thematic arguments.
Clarste

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
Ep 10

But seriously, that Necromantist power is OPAF, but those cut up body parts shouldn't have even had the muscle needed to move around properly. If Ushii had sliced him up into salami slices that should have stopped him from doing anything, then just collect the jewel and he's set.

It's magic. Those muscles also needed a steady supply of oxygen from the heart and lungs to function, but that wasn't stopping them before. Almost anything that would kill someone would stop most of their muscles too, because that's a large part of what it means to be alive. It seems arbitrary to draw your suspension of disbelief at that particular level.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Clarste wrote:
#844391 wrote:
Ep 10

It's magic. Those muscles also needed a steady supply of oxygen from the heart and lungs to function, but that wasn't stopping them before. Almost anything that would kill someone would stop most of their muscles too, because that's a large part of what it means to be alive. It seems arbitrary to draw your suspension of disbelief at that particular level.

What I meant is even though the bodies were controlled by magic they were not being moved by an external force, they still moved around using the motor skills a normal body would have as well as their senses being limited. The specifically showed snake using his earth sense skill to locate people because he had lost his head and couldn't hear or see (at least with his main body). If you're going to show dead bodies having certain limitations in one episode, and then just throw all those limitations out in another one I'm going to call it out because I've got a keyboard in front of me and time to type :p
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:59 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

Except that apparently the pieces can levitate, so if he deli-sliced him, he'd end up with Bunny bits plastered all over his face and body like paper-mâché. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Ep 11,

I'd say this is probably the most interesting ep of the series so far (and the few flashbacks there were actually contributed to the overall plot, imagine that). So rat's powers explain a few things. I believe everyone remembered him because his 100 possibilities where he interacted with them in different ways somehow left a mark in their memories even when he didn't pick paths where he met with them. I'm still not quite sure how it explains his time in the vault where he met horse, even with different possibilities, how did he break into the vault? Or was that a deleted path that could have happened that he used to gain information and then got rid of it? Like maybe he had one path where he was waiting in the vault before horse got there and then got rid of it after obtaining the information he needed?

It feels odd that the story is continuing now, even through the battle royal is finished. For the first time in a while I'm genuinely interested to see what happens next episode.
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Yet another great episode although I definitely wasn't expecting the Juni Taisen to end like that, not that I'm complaining. I absolutely love Rat's power and have often wished I had similar powers myself (of course, in my head I would use it for innocuous things like finding the best route to work every day). It's definitely a power I'd like to see more of in media. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to seeing how everything ends next week and with the book sequel book just being released, I'd love to see an anime sequel as well!
krelyan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
This show has monologue issues?

Ox: Hold my beer (cause I don't drink).

My goodness was the first half of the show irritating to sit through. Here's a so called genius walking through the most basic of thought processes. Ugh.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Next week's final episode will be based on a oneshot manga which Nisioisin wrote and Nakamura Hikaru illustrated, where both have the same title. Zodiac was written as a prequel to said manga.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
Such a disappointing series. Predictable throughout, didn't really answer anything. Rat is basically a VN player with infinite saves and a cheat guide for every route and bad end. Not too far from what I predicted he'd be. Though the hopeful twist regarding Monkey didn't come. Even if she quickly died again, it would have gone a long way to break up the formulaic approach of the series.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:49 am Reply with quote
I bet some of those other 99 possibilities would have been more interesting than what we've seen so far, like watching Rat and Rabbit team up for example.

While i'm still enjoying this show more than most (it seems), i agree that there seems to be a lot of wasted opportunity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7