• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jūni Taisen: Zodiac War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Joshua Zarate wrote:
Well, we got 3 deaths in episode 6, so that’s a bit different at least. Also, I‘m wondering why I’m now seeing spoiler tags in this thread. Isn’t episode review threads here for certain anime fair game for not putting spoiler tags relating to what happened in their most recent episode or am I wrong? I think anybody would know that these threads contain spoilers galore for their specific anime, so I’m curious as to why people are starting to put spoiler tags here just now.

Generally, before the review comes out, the events of the most recent episode are put under spoiler tags so as to avoid spoiling those who haven't seen the episode yet, like, say, James earlier in the thread. After the review is posted, they are no longer required.
Joshua Zarate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:46 pm Reply with quote
^^Well, before making my last comment here, I had read the spoiler tags guidelines for ANN and nowhere did it state that spoiler tags were not needed in episode review threads as long as the latest review is out. It said that spoiler tags in general aren’t necessary in such threads (Like this one) as long as the info isn’t about something that the anime hasn’t revealed yet at the time of posting. I’m of the mind that if someone watching a certain anime hasn’t seen the latest episode of it yet (in this case, it’s episode 6) and don’t wish to be spoiled on what happens in it, they shouldn’t be hanging around the threads dedicated to that anime’s episodes until they do get around to watching it. The spoiler tags that I’m seeing here recently just seem somewhat redundant when it’s reasonably fine to not include them here. But eh. Just some thoughts that I wanted to express here if it’s allowed.

Continuing my thoughts on Episode 6: Tiger seems interesting and I’m curious as to what exactly her background is.
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm losing interest fast. They should never follow the order of deaths to the point of making it utterly predictable, just like the reviewer said. There just is no suspense here. I already know the ending, and I can almost see how we get there.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:04 pm Reply with quote
While I think it was a major mistake to remove the suspense by taking them out in order (even if you didn't know the order, they put the zodiac up on the screen, and the ED counts them down in order as well), I'm guessing the ending will have a big twist that supposedly makes it all sensible.

I'm with 鏡 in that Monkey's death seemed out of character, which makes me believe that while she honestly was taken by surprise (if she'd said her dialog out loud, I'd think differently), she's not dead. If she can transmute any substance, she could instantly clot her wounds, and even allow Rabbit to take her jewel thingy. I don't know if Rabbit would realize she wasn't under his control or not - not sure how that works.

The other thing that makes her death improbable is that, as Rat pointed out, we never learned what her plan was, and that's an awfully big Chekov's cannon to leave unfired. So I'm guessing she's alive and will find a way to snuff all the bettors on the game in order to permanently end it.

At least I'd like to believe something like that will happen. Otherwise, there's not much point to the whole series, or reason to keep watching.
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A series about a bunch of ridiculously outfitted Zodiac furries murdering each other with magic powers should be the most entertaining series of the season...

Yeah, predictability is a really bad look for a show which is dependent upon hooking viewers on the suspense of its outcome. I feel like we should be getting a kitchen-sink extravaganza of laughably disastrous proportions, but instead of Hunger Games on anime-crack we have...Monogatari on conventional action show salvia. A lot of twiddling around for five seconds of movement. Stop dialoguing and get to my unearned, hamfisted plot twists already!!

And although Tiger is my new favorite I think her run-in with Sheep would have been more effective if basically every other fighter hadn't gone the exact same way. We're well past the point of diminishing returns on Sudden Death resolutions to episode-long stand-offs which can only end one way.

At this point, I'd even be OK with a "cyclical reset" development as forwarded by Rat's lazy philosophizing if they introduce it sooner rather than later and use the remaining episodes to break the cycle by smashing the shadowy avatar villains. That would be something.
Ragdollomega

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
I honestly feel like we've gotten better looking fights in the flashbacks than the present time deathmatch itself. The flashback fights from this episode along with those from 1 and 2 feel a lot more dynamic. I'm hoping that maybe they'll bring more of that into the present now that half of the contestants remain, but I'll just have to wait and see.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:40 am Reply with quote
This show was getting better with more screen time given to Monkey. Now that she's presumably dead, it's stock is likely to drop like a rock. This will be no better than King's Game.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
This show was getting better with more screen time given to Monkey. Now that she's presumably dead, it's stock is likely to drop like a rock. This will be no better than King's Game.

While I agree that the events of the most recent episode did lower my opinion of this show, it is not that low. King’s Game’s production values are worse and, especially after the most recent episode, extremely dumb, to the point that any flaws in the writing of this or any other show airing this season pale in comparison, save maybe Dies Irae. We’ll see going forward but the ratings for the most recent episode are nowhere near King’s Game territory.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I agree the production value is better in this show. However, killing off Monkey (and presumably her "plan") took away the intrigue, unless her death is one big head fake as has been speculated. All that's left is a remaining death match between one dimensional killers (drunken rage girl, stoic amazingly powerful swordsman, psychotic necromancer, lazy philosopher rat boy, and hidden dragon dude?)

I suppose it's possible to build up some of these others a little, but given the amount of time left for that, I'm doubtful that any will be as interesting.

That being said, comprehensively it probably won't be as bad as King's Game, but I will likely see their stories as equally trashy.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:21 pm Reply with quote
This last episode was frustrating infuriating and just plain boring to watch. Sigh the back stories at this point of it is pointless and the director needs to be taught how this material could have been presented better! It’s boringly formulaic at this point leaving the viewer just wanting better presentation. Sigh
Thaumana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
I can't help it but to think that I am one of few who really enjoy this show and have a quite different expectation of its content. I am really thrilled and always can't wait until the next week 's episode. Especially the reason concerning the deja-vu of Rat everyone seems to have is one of many central questions which gives the impression that there's more behind the whole last-man-standing set-up.

In some extent I have also the feeling that many reviews (not on ANN) laid the focus on the action and always used to bring the question how satisfying it might be considering the high production value in comparison to other recent shows but lack of suspense in contrast due to the predictable outcome of each battle (I don't go along with this view though). For my part, I really enjoying all the various background stories of each participant for simple reasons... It's not that common to have any background information or motive for such killing game candidates in general, I think. Another aspect is the world-building which might be presented admittedly in a vague way sometimes but still provides enough room for interesting speculations about those zodiac clans and their relationships. Long story short... Juuni Taisen is far from boring and predictable and I am convinced that it might provide me with some nice suprise effects. At least, the preview gave away that the story of the Snake and Dragon brothers isn't finished yet.

Last edited by Thaumana on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
NonsenseUser

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I just don't understand this mentality of "It's predictable therefore it's bad". A predictable story that is told well with good, likable characters can still be great and I happen to believe this story IS being told well and has a very rich and likable cast. Of course, if you don't like any of the characters or execution, then that's one thing but predictability by itself isn't exactly a bad thing.

That being said, I do think these last couple episodes (6 and 7) have been the weakest due to their focus characters. 6 was still good in it's own right with everything else going on. But after starting out the series with four of the first five focus characters being entertaining in some way (Dog being the odd man out there), Horse and the twins have just fallen flat for me. I'm also not one to usually notice production/animation issues but they were clear even to me in episode 7. I really hope that can get corrected soon.

Overall, I still think this is one of the top series of the season for me and I have the utmost faith in NISIOISIN moving forward. Count me among those skeptical of Monkey's 'death' and I wouldn't be surprised to see her back in action for the end game either. While we do have to get through Dragon's episode next, there's also Tiger, Rat, Ox, and Bunny all looming on the horizon and I'm very much looking forward to each of their stories.
Squidslinger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
NonsenseUser wrote:
I'm sorry, but I just don't understand this mentality of "It's predictable therefore it's bad". A predictable story that is told well with good, likable characters can still be great and I happen to believe this story IS being told well and has a very rich and likable cast. Of course, if you don't like any of the characters or execution, then that's one thing but predictability by itself isn't exactly a bad thing.

That being said, I do think these last couple episodes (6 and 7) have been the weakest due to their focus characters. 6 was still good in it's own right with everything else going on. But after starting out the series with four of the first five focus characters being entertaining in some way (Dog being the odd man out there), Horse and the twins have just fallen flat for me. I'm also not one to usually notice production/animation issues but they were clear even to me in episode 7. I really hope that can get corrected soon.

Overall, I still think this is one of the top series of the season for me and I have the utmost faith in NISIOISIN moving forward. Count me among those skeptical of Monkey's 'death' and I wouldn't be surprised to see her back in action for the end game either. While we do have to get through Dragon's episode next, there's also Tiger, Rat, Ox, and Bunny all looming on the horizon and I'm very much looking forward to each of their stories.

You never see Monkey's eyes. Notice every zombie soldier they always show the eyes. Monkey they don't. Whenever they break a habit like that, or purposely hide it, which they are, something is up.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Squidslinger wrote:
You never see Monkey's eyes. Notice every zombie soldier they always show the eyes. Monkey they don't. Whenever they break a habit like that, or purposely hide it, which they are, something is up.

[img]https://imgur.com/a/BpfYq[/img]

No they do show her eyes (14:03)
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I was just randomly thinking to myself, given how Rabbit keeps turning everyone into his undead minions, how epic it would be if this whole show was one massive troll and at the end rabbit and all the zombie characters just did one long Thriller dance. And then the show ended. (I mean seriously, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9RKwlF_MXE)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7