• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Rise and Fall and Rise and Fall of Studio Gonzo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
DangerMouse wrote:

Vandread I think is still very much a highlight as well, I think it balanced the bigger story and action with the ecchi romantic comedy stuff and harem-ish start (spoiler[really just pseudo harem at most since Dita is really the only one who remains romantically interested in him for most of the show and some of the others get their own other love interests]

I remember that being the more "intriguing" aspect of the series and how weird it felt when they more or less didn't commit to it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
Samurai 7 is really underrated. I mean no disrespect to Kurosawa, but I never thought he did a good job individualizing the 7 samurai. In the movie only 3 of them every really stood out, while the other 4 just felt like interchangeable characters; yet in Samurai 7 each character had their own distinct personality. I think the who Sci Fi aspect is somewhat off putting for some, same with Gankatsuou, but I think the classic work meets sci fi fantasy has always been Gonzo's strong suit.

And I love Last Exile, not Fam, that was crap, that was Seed Destiny to the original Seed, but I think with a decent budget I felt that was one series that could actually translate well to live action.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Samurai 7 is really underrated. I mean no disrespect to Kurosawa, but I never thought he did a good job individualizing the 7 samurai. In the movie only 3 of them every really stood out, while the other 4 just felt like interchangeable characters; yet in Samurai 7 each character had their own distinct personality. I think the who Sci Fi aspect is somewhat off putting for some, same with Gankatsuou, but I think the classic work meets sci fi fantasy has always been Gonzo's strong suit.

I honestly really wish they hadn't done the sci-fi thing with either of those shows. They are still indeed very good, but I just have zero interest in seeing my all time favorite stories, but in space. It makes me L O L a little whenever I say that, at least. Laughing
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:36 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I mean, two of the best shows of Summer were Made in Abyss(Kinema Citrus) and Princess Principal(3Hz), both from a production stand-point, and a narrative one.

You forgot from a soundtrack point of view Smile

CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
CrownKlown wrote:

I honestly really wish they hadn't done the sci-fi thing with either of those shows. They are still indeed very good, but I just have zero interest in seeing my all time favorite stories, but in space. It makes me L O L a little whenever I say that, at least. Laughing

I agree its weird in concept, but honestly both Gankatsuou and Samurai 7 still retain the main elements of the story and are still primarily character driven. I mean I see no difference between updating to a more futuristic setting like Samurai 7 did then Magnificent 7 changing it from Samurai to Cowboys. Story is still roughly the same just updated for the audience, and the addition of Fantasy or Sci Fi elements doesn't make something somehow less of a work (GoT comes to mind) even though I do feel like fantastical works seem to get hit with disdain by the critics (hence Christopher Nolan never so much as whiffing at a lot of awards despite Dark Knight, Inception , and Interstellar). Its kind of how the West has this innate bias as cartoons being some lower level media good enough for kids but not worth of any artistic praise.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
My personal favorite GONZO titles are S1 of Full Metal Panic, Kiddy Grade, Peacemaker, Pumpkin Scissors, and Solty Rei. Kiddy Grade, Pumpkin Scissors, and Solty Rei are those GONZO titles I consider underrated. Last Exile was really enjoyable too and I liked it as well.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:50 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

I agree its weird in concept, but honestly both Gankatsuou and Samurai 7 still retain the main elements of the story and are still primarily character driven. I mean I see no difference between updating to a more futuristic setting like Samurai 7 did then Magnificent 7 changing it from Samurai to Cowboys. Story is still roughly the same just updated for the audience, and the addition of Fantasy or Sci Fi elements doesn't make something somehow less of a work (GoT comes to mind) even though I do feel like fantastical works seem to get hit with disdain by the critics (hence Christopher Nolan never so much as whiffing at a lot of awards despite Dark Knight, Inception , and Interstellar). Its kind of how the West has this innate bias as cartoons being some lower level media good enough for kids but not worth of any artistic praise.

I mean, right, sure. I like sci-fi and I like these shows. And they did a good job of maintaining the thrill of the originals(though Gankutsuou does change the story thematically and in a lot of other ways). I'm not saying they are lesser because of it, but I would've just rather not had them in that setting, if I could choose myself.

omiya wrote:

You forgot from a soundtrack point of view Smile

Touche. lol
I also bought both. Smile
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:37 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:

Yeah, Samurai 7 is another of my favorites of theirs. I think they mixed in teh scifi setting really well.

mai yukino wrote:
My personal favorite GONZO titles are S1 of Full Metal Panic, Kiddy Grade, Peacemaker, Pumpkin Scissors, and Solty Rei. Kiddy Grade, Pumpkin Scissors, and Solty Rei are those GONZO titles I consider underrated. Last Exile was really enjoyable too and I liked it as well.

Good picks.
Glad to see someone else really enjoyed Pumpkin Scissors (and Solty), I feel like a lot of people didn't see that one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3