• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Westerners Make Assumptions About Japan Because of Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:26 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
One impression I've heard is that many non-Americans think of the United States as one-third New York City, one-third trailer park, and one-third Wild West. Looking at the most common settings for fiction set in the United States, it sounds about right.

I remember overhearing an Australian couple traveling through SoCal on a bus trip, who ironically joked that they wanted to see those Happy American Suburbia houses they kept seeing on TV shows, with folks coming out to mow their lawns--Presumably the street that Edward Scissorhands' family lived on.
(Oh, they don't have those in Melbourne? Okay, noted.)

Jonny Mendes wrote:
From my experience, one of the best windows to look at what Japan is and about the culture of the country is NHK World TV channel.
They have lots of programs and documentaries that take us inside of the daily life of Japanese people.
There are many preconceptions about Japan that are very different in real life. From my visits to Japan i can say that NHK programs are a very accurate portrait of what is life in Japan.

If it's the NHK culture channel that shows up in big-city hotel televisions, that's a little TOO carefully state-depicted national television...Apparently, everyone in Japan lives in the scenic rural sections, and is employed in preserving ancient traditions, like shrines, calligraphy and floral arrangement.
That, interchanged with the news, which is mostly about the Diet troubles mixed with the Sumo tournaments, before they go on to the soap or historical drama.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Japan is not obsessed is separating things for age groups or sexes.

(...COUGHHACKchoke!!!!) Shocked

Quote:
Japan DOES have a pretty rigid concept of maturity and immaturity though, in which people are looked down for openly enjoying something intended for younger age groups. There are some franchises that cross age boundaries, but they tend to be old enough that the origial fans have grown up while bringing in younger fans.
I mean, the general mainstream impression of otaku is one of immaturity, for instance.

Even the negative stereotype of watching anime is that if one isn't a "pervert" watching idol girls, one will be happily rooted in one's childhood watching Doraemon and darling magical-girls...Either of which perceptions makes you a public wolf's-head for ridicule and shame by good responsible working people.

Joshua Zarate wrote:
^^If I may be allowed to say this, holy cheese! The post above me has got to be the longest I’ve ever seen and read in the 3 years I’ve been using this site. Wow, that’s a lot of words. I’m impressed.

It's Leafy; when she jumps into the thread, she answers the whole thread at once to save time--And it's up to seven pages now, so...
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Still, the dark, grimy look makes up a minority of the shows, and it's only for shows of that particular mood.

This was in 1974. Crime shows were grimier then. And there were only four channels.

You're right that only selected programs made it on to British television at that time. Kojak was considered a "quality" series because of Telly Savalas and the production staff.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8