• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: King's Game The Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
There's literally one word I can think of to describe King's Game: EDGY.

The entire selling point of the anime is the shock value. Hey look over here! I'm edgy! I'm controversial! Look at me! I am a show that consists of people non-ironically being forced into having sex with each other and dying, and I'm not a hentai!

I can't decide which one is dumber, this or Big Order. What do you guys think?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:14 pm Reply with quote
It's a tough call, but as I said in the show's series discussion thread, I think this just might be the dumbest show I've ever seen and that includes having watched Big Order.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
For now I'd say Big Order was dumber (I won't forget the time they were plotting their meeting with the big bad in the hotel that it was taking place over a meal when it just shifts to appreciating the food they were being served), but I won't write off the possibility that it could surpass it. Even if it did, I wouldn't say either are the dumbest show I've seen, as that honor belongs to Heybot. I would say trashiest show though, and did.
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:29 am Reply with quote
the worst thing about this anime is how it's a sequel to a series that was never adapted into anime form, so people watching it would be utterly confused. The first series is also much better and has better story progression. Right from episode 1, the main character acts distant and feels hurt from the past, with the commands being very serious and consequences happening too quickly. It took a few commands before people died in the first series.
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Having read 'Ou-sama Game' and 'Ou-sama Game - Kigen'.mangas, I honestly like it. I also know me liking the anime has to do with the fact that was just stated though.

If this anime honestly tried to introduce people to the characters across a proper 24-episode series, it might've corrected some of the major flaws the anime has.

To me, its like watching Persona 4 Golden anime. King's Game, like P4G, feels somewhat fractured and requires having previous knowledge before watching. I guess the flashbacks are suppose to fill the gap, but it really doesn't. No time for character development nor a moment to reflect on the game itself or the situations that have transpired.

I wonder if next episode will slow it down some to really breakdown the occurred events so the audience can breathe a bit? Laughing
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
the worst thing about this anime is how it's a sequel to a series that was never adapted into anime form, so people watching it would be utterly confused. The first series is also much better and has better story progression. Right from episode 1, the main character acts distant and feels hurt from the past, with the commands being very serious and consequences happening too quickly. It took a few commands before people died in the first series.

That explains things. The main pair being ordered to kiss made it obvious that at some point people would be ordered to have sex, but then that order was given to other students in the first episode, and then like half the class dies because they think it's fake. I couldn't help but think that escalating the punishments would make people genuinely debate their options, whereas jumping into the deep end of "sex or die" makes it pretty obvious what most will do, or at least makes it hard to believe that they would have to seriously weigh options when death is a likely outcome. In that regard, I can see why Hondo's friend would be so angry when refusing something as minor as a kiss meant both Hondo and Nobu would die.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
or those that have been watching "King's Game", is the violence especially gruesome? I mean, like on the level of the anime series "Another"? From what I read about the 1st manga series (I know the anime is based off of the second manga series), it looks like it could become more gruesome than the violence in "91 Days". You see, I am not exactly a fan of "Another"-level violence.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Not only is it gruesome, but the series tries to be edgy by lingering over the bodies and showing how grotesque they are in death (tongues lolling out, eyes bulging, pissing themselves) from every angle, to the point where it just gets ridiculously stupid and loses any shock value.

Unless I've forgotten too much about how they were executed, Another's deaths were more creative I think, and the camera didn't hover around the corpses poking visual sticks at them to get a better look.

If you thought Another was too off-putting, you likely won't enjoy KG, since it doesn't even have much of a plot holding it together.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
If you thought Another was too off-putting, you likely won't enjoy KG, since it doesn't even have much of a plot holding it together.

That's true. I didn't like Another at all, and yet King's Game is so completely awful that it makes Another look okay by comparison. There really is no plot to King's Game, it's just a show about teenagers who are made to suffer for no reason whatsoever except for some sociopath's amusement, and then if they don't do what he says he kills them using supernatural means.

We don't know who "King" is, we don't know how he is spying on the students or how he kills them if they disobey. We don't know what the rules are for the game (beyond do whatever he says in the allotted time or they die), which is a problem since there is no way for the kids to outwit him. And if they can't fight back then where is the room for drama, and tension, and survival?

And finally, the class in Another at least had some personality. The morons in King's Game are only known for their shallowness and their overwhelming stupidity, meaning that it's difficult to care if the class dies or not.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
I was only watching the 1st few minutes of "King's Game" 2-3 subbed and episode 1 dubbed then dropped the series. Upon reading about the the events, the show is just not for not for me. The main reason I was starting watch the dub was because Alexis Tipton is in it. I might try watching "Urahara" (she is also in that simuldub) after most of the debuting shows I watch this season finish.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:16 am Reply with quote
My thanks for my fellow forum members for giving reasons not to watch "King's Game". Also, from what I read about the 1st manga's ending, I will not watch that series (for now) because I prefer happier to bittersweet endings.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
I think Mr Farris may be missing that in some procedurals it's the journey that's supposedly interesting and not the endpoint, so maybe the intro of the flashback wasn't supposed to be a spoiler. Of course, if the tale following isn't interesting, the whole flashback is a waste of time...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I went down a whole heap of things that did not make sense with the new episode in the series discussion area. One notable is that her death is pointless, she could have just given the order to touch the king or (insert easily accessible thing which could be reached as a backup), like it could have been a dog, and thus only need to find and touch one by midnight after touching as many people as possible.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:47 am Reply with quote
If they had just animated the prequel Kings game in the village first then Im confident this could have turned out better. There are plot inconsistencies between the prequel and Nobuaki's first game. I think one of the reasons that they decided to tie both Kings game of Nobuaki's past and present is because the manga (which is what theyre obviously adapting this from rather than the novel) of both are pretty short at 25+ chapters with the prequel being 30. Adapting only one story at a time even at only 10 eps will cause the show to drag a lot. Since this was listed at 12 eps they couldve adapted Nobuaki's first game with the first 6 eps and the 2nd game with the last 6. They couldve easily pulled it off.

Then they could maybe, just maybe, even adapt the prequel as an animated movie or do an OVA that ties in between Nobuaki's 1st and 2nd game which features spoiler[Natsuko before the 2nd game and what made her into a psycho]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
After all that, they still couldn't be sure that the King wasn't among the class, because Nami never touched any of them (except the one who claimed she was King), only their clothes. One must be literal when dealing with Kings and genies.

Also, I don't get what they're doing now. If the King is so omniscient that it knows everything, wouldn't it prevent them from doing things that could stop it?

And it just occurred to me how stupid it was that Nobuaki thought he was safe at midnight in the first episode after having already fallen into that very same slow-clock trap in the previous game, as we later learned. After that first time I'd probably need an hour's leeway before breathing a sigh of relief.

I might relegate this to the watch-after-reading-review pile, because its stupidity is becoming boring.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5