• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: King's Game The Animation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
After all that, they still couldn't be sure that the King wasn't among the class, because Nami never touched any of them (except the one who claimed she was King), only their clothes. One must be literal when dealing with Kings and genies.

Also, I don't get what they're doing now. If the King is so omniscient that it knows everything, wouldn't it prevent them from doing things that could stop it?

And it just occurred to me how stupid it was that Nobuaki thought he was safe at midnight in the first episode after having already fallen into that very same slow-clock trap in the previous game, as we later learned. After that first time I'd probably need an hour's leeway before breathing a sigh of relief.

I might relegate this to the watch-after-reading-review pile, because its stupidity is becoming boring.

Save yourself the frustration and dont think about questions like that. Trust me
D00dleB0Y

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:14 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
or those that have been watching "King's Game", is the violence especially gruesome? I mean, like on the level of the anime series "Another"? From what I read about the 1st manga series (I know the anime is based off of the second manga series), it looks like it could become more gruesome than the violence in "91 Days". You see, I am not exactly a fan of "Another"-level violence.

the anime isn't based off either of the two manga series. It is based on the novel which was never adapted to anime form. The mangas are of King's Game 1 and King's Game 0, while King's Game 2 is novel only.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
D00dleB0Y wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:
or those that have been watching "King's Game", is the violence especially gruesome? I mean, like on the level of the anime series "Another"? From what I read about the 1st manga series (I know the anime is based off of the second manga series), it looks like it could become more gruesome than the violence in "91 Days". You see, I am not exactly a fan of "Another"-level violence.

the anime isn't based off either of the two manga series. It is based on the novel which was never adapted to anime form. The mangas are of King's Game 1 and King's Game 0, while King's Game 2 is novel only.

Its true that the original source material is a novel (cellphone novel to be exact) but the anime takes after the manga more. If its available in your area try giving it a look see and compare them. The anime takes almost everything from the manga scene for scene.
TheValkyrieAsh

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this anime is so incredibly bad. It's like a train wreck but I just can't look away.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
I mean Nobuaki did all the stuff to save his bruh he could've went all the way and banged him just sayin.

Bruh of the year guys.

Kings Game? More like Flashback Game I wanna see the crazy chick from the present day game again I forgot her name, but she is fun to watch.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:26 am Reply with quote
Why even use the 2nd game as a framing device for the 1st game if you're just going to show the entire 1st game? They should have just started with the 1st game so at least then you don't already know everyone is going to die Rolling Eyes
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:23 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Why even use the 2nd game as a framing device for the 1st game if you're just going to show the entire 1st game? They should have just started with the 1st game so at least then you don't already know everyone is going to die Rolling Eyes

Exactly. I bitched about this structure early on but back then I didn't realize the intent was to eventually ignore the second game completely. Oi vey.
GhostD

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

What they shouldve done was animate the very first game in the village first and then follow it up with the 2nd (Nobuaki's 1st) and the 3rd (Nobuaki's 2nd). Sure doing that will forcefully rush things but it wouldve made for a much more linear and consistent story telling with a rare 13 ep cour considering that spoiler[the child of the 1st game's survivor is one of the main characters of the 2nd game and their sibling is a key character in the 3rd.]

EP 6

Highest on screen body count so far but I gotta say immolation is a painful way to see someone go though Im almost certain the animators didn't make her burn like a normal person would so that she would die looking cool. What made me laugh was the head twisting and how the laptop wasnt affected when a person who was literally on fire was tinkering with it for over a minute
Calsolum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
ok what?
This is getting increasingly absurd.
Mysterious virus? Spread through computers/technology? Hypnosis?
Are we sure that Ria isn't actually Rena from higurashi and she just dyed her hair?
I really liked the idea of kings game and I really wanted to like the show itself but its just way too stupid. Nobuyaki already annoyed me as a protag from ep1 and he really hasn't done anything in the present or past to make him likeable, in fact, i doubt there's anything he can do to justify this trainwreck.
Maybe if they do some complete overhaul(for lack of a better word) of the series after the halfway point but the only anime I've known to successfully do something like that is samurai flamenco.
I really don't know where to start picking at whats wrong with just this episode.
the absurdity of hypnotism overwriting basic laws of physics? The virus thing turning into an internet virus?
No how about I start with the Ria abuse backstory cause that was the last absurdity.
I'm fine(within the context of a fictional story of course) with abuse being used as character's backstory male or female and its predominately used for women to elicit sympathy or disgust for said characters and depending on the story it can even work perfectly well. This is NOT one of those, its played entirely for shock value and I'd have just ignored it and moved on too if they didn't add the extra sexual torture devices. The last time they talked about her past there was an image of her half-dressed with scars lying on a bed and that was more than enough. But then they upped it by showing it wasn't just rape and being knocked around but he also sexually tortured her because for some reason they needed to get that point clear before she exited the story. Oh and her personality did a complete 180 from being a broken, empty, emotionless soul to suddenly entrusting Nobuyaki as a failsafe? is that what the extra image was for to show that she was so fucked(metaphorically and literally) by her past but she somehow changed at the end.
Tell ya what king's game, make it so that these events had some sort of relevance in the future of the series like saying Ria actually was the king and she staged that dramatic death to escape and then we can talk about uping your rating. Otherwise, this series is like a 2, out of a 100.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Oh gosh, that last bit of exposition made my brain hurt. So the king(s) is a regular virus turned computer virus that hypnotizes its victims into magically killing themselves. Even if you believe that hypnosis can cause the body to produce welts, I'm pretty sure you can't will your arms and legs to explode off your body or twist your head off.

Then there is the scene where where Ria catches on fire. Not once does she show any indication of pain despite being, ya know, on fire, but that is minor compared to the rest. So for several seconds, the fire only burns her clothes off while she talks to them, despite there being exposed parts of her skin, especially after she strips to her underwear (Why? Never mind...). Then she dramatically jumps off the dam...and is burned to ash in about a second or two. What?! Shocked That's not how fire works! At all! But then again this is in an episode where we learn about a regular virus turning into a computer virus and hypnotizing people into making their body parts blow off clean off their bodies (Naoya's arm had to have gone 6-10 feet from the rest of his body). Cellphone novels...
Mealstrom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
So, we're halfway through. Is it worth it to watch it in a so-bad-it's-good mindset, or is it so bad it's bad?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I don't think this show can be enjoyed ironically in the "so bad it's good" way, but it is so immensely stupid that it does exert a certain kind of morbid fascination. So I think it can be enjoyed in a, "wow, I wonder exactly how dumb this can go?"
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
The new episode was just Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

This show is quickly becoming a classic. It's the Gurren Lagann of trash.
Grendel8
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:07 am Reply with quote
Perhaps I should start watching this show again to get my weekly dose of super stupidity. Unfortunately I see enough of that in real life, so I am concerned that too much may have a permanent effect on my psyche. I guess my morbid curiosity will not be satisfied until I push the limits and watch one more episode, especially after reading that glowing review. Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:45 am Reply with quote
How the hell did Christopher Farris manage to give episode 6 a mere C grade? Dayum, I'd hate to see how crapola an eppie would have to be to earn a D.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5