• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Are There Really Gangs In Japanese Schools?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Where there are bullies in school, gangs are often not too far away from the area.

Chrno2 wrote:
I was always curious about this part of the culture because you see it portrayed a lot in anime and live-action (exploitation) films all through out the 70's going forward. I'm sure the there are still underground gangs. But the one thing you do know for sure is that there is still bullying in Japanese schools. So I'm sure there are some gangs, they just might not be at the level you see in manga, anime and films. I guess it's still part of a subculture. A subculture that you probably don't want to get too close to.

Yeah, but gangs are often the ones who stand up for victims of bullying to gain respect and make new members out of them, especially with Japanese ones adhering to the Yakuza doctrine. As it can combat bullying and assist with order, yet potentially creating even bigger problems, you can see why it would be a major issue.

Jonny Mendes wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Compelled to Reply wrote:
The flag of Imperial Japan was the same as the current flag. You're talking about the "Kyokujitsu-ki," which was only used for wartime purposes. In fact, a derivative is still used by maritime forces.

What's the difference between the standard Japanese flag and the Kyokujitsu-ki?

A good comparison is that Kyokujitsu-ki is like a US Navy "Union Jack" flag and the standard flag of Japan is like the US "Stars and Stripes".

Because of the relation with the use of the Kyokujitsu-ki by the Imperial Japanese Forces in WW2 there are some that don't approve of it, mostly some people in China and Korea. Their reactions is similar to some Americans to the Confederate Battle Flag. In reality even some Americans have strong reactions to the Kyokujitsu-ki because of use on WW2 by the Japanese.

"Kyokujitsu-ki" is also used like as a rebellion symbol against the system by some Japanese gangs.

Basically. If he's asking about physical differences if he didn't Google it, Kyokujitsu-ki is the the flag with the off-centered sun and rays.

Lemonchest wrote:
Speaking of, I'd love it if some of the 90s delinquent anime got (re)licensed & released. What I wouldn't do for you to release Kyou Kara Ore Wa!!, Discotek!

The Kyou Kara Ore Wa!! anime was an adaptation of the manga which started in the 80s, and it's certainly a title up their alley to crowdfund.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Funny that you did this article considering the last article on Western perceptions of Japan through anime. I actually was going to make a comment to that.

I was always curious about this part of the culture because you see it portrayed a lot in anime and live-action (exploitation) films all through out the 70's going forward. I'm sure the there are still underground gangs. But the one thing you do know for sure is that there is still bullying in Japanese schools. So I'm sure there are some gangs, they just might not be at the level you see in manga, anime and films. I guess it's still part of a subculture. A subculture that you probably don't want to get too close to.

I watch some K-drama with my niece and you see similar things too. Gangs are far in between, but school bullies, cliques have always been a thing. That will never go away.

Actually I was wondering if with the creation of 'Tokyo Tribes' did there exist groups like that?

Though all gangs are underground by nature, what I wonder is how much of an effort they make to keep their activities a secret. There doesn't seem to be a glamorization of gang life the way they exist in American schools (well, urban schools and schools in gang territories anyway), so it doesn't seem like gangsters go walking around in public flaunting their, well, gangster-ness the way I saw it growing up.

Also, please don't conflate gangs with bullies. The motivations to become a bully and to become a gangster are pretty different, and gangs will freely recruit both bullies and bullying victims. Though both are derived from feeling insignificant, bullying stems largely from a need to feel superior and in control, and gang participation stems largely from a need to feel welcomed and part of a close-knit social group.

Lord Geo wrote:
In fact, with JoJo's Bizarre Adventure having now been adapted into (multiple seasons of) TV anime, Rokudenashi Blues is currently the longest-running Shonen Jump manga to have never received a TV anime adaptation, and it's just as long as Dragon Ball was (42 volumes). Granted, next year marks Rokudenashi's 30th Anniversary, so there could be a chance of a TV anime to celebrate, but I'm not exactly holding my breath for that happen.

I do wonder if there is a government initiative of some sort (or I guess disinitiative) to discourage works of fiction about gangsters from being given anime, under the idea of avoiding giving viewers ideas that behaving like this would be awesome. Certainly, the LACK of these characters (though there's no lack of anime characters who look the part but don't actually act it) made me question how prevalent they actually are. My own experiences in school made it hard for me to comprehend school life as peaceful. I brought it up in the Fall 2017 Anime Preview Guide topic, but I have a hard time watching slice-of-life stories about idyllic moments in school because that behavior feels unrealistic to me (at least on a campus-wide scale--nice people DID exist in each school I went to, but they were more like islands of compassion in a sea of sociopathy). Something like Rokudenashi Blues would be something I'd have an easier time connecting to as it more closely reflects how I'd imagine teenage behavior to be like.

Heishi wrote:
Funny you bring "cute girls doing cute things" and "delinquent gangs" in the same sentence, because I developed an idea of a show revolving around "cute girls doing...not so cute things" and its tone is the complete opposite of the overly cheerful shows that you regularly see like Yuru Yuri, K-on, or Strawberry Marshmallow.

I can think of Di Gi Charat as one such series that's like that. And while it isn't cute girls per se (though its deuteragonist is an innocent middle school girl caught up in the whole mess), Lycopene the Tomatoy Poodle is a series in Weekly Shonen Jump that just debuted that has Sanrio-looking characters with some pretty un-Sanrio-like humor (though, since the magazine is aimed at young boys, it's largely toilet humor and Animaniacs-esque mocking of Japanese celebrities and politicians).
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I do wonder if there is a government initiative of some sort (or I guess disinitiative) to discourage works of fiction about gangsters from being given anime, under the idea of avoiding giving viewers ideas that behaving like this would be awesome.

I wonder the same thing since by looking at some recent manga magazines I realize there are plenty of gang/yakuza stories but in anime all I can remember is one where the protagonist used to be a gang member (GTO) or about "good" yakuza like in Nisekoi and Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan. Of those two Nura comes out as the most apologetic of Yakuza and was surprised that it got two anime series (24 episodes each) but some people might not notice since it plays the supernatural angle, albeit Nura's clan obviously mirrors the yakuza structure.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
I wonder the same thing since by looking at some recent manga magazines I realize there are plenty of gang/yakuza stories but in anime all I can remember is one where the protagonist used to be a gang member (GTO) or about "good" yakuza like in Nisekoi and Nura: Rise of the Yokai Clan. Of those two Nura comes out as the most apologetic of Yakuza and was surprised that it got two anime series (24 episodes each) but some people might not notice since it plays the supernatural angle, albeit Nura's clan obviously mirrors the yakuza structure.

There's also that character archetype where they look like a Japanese delinquent and act all tough but are actually nice and kind on the inside. I can think of Magna in Black Clover as an example. Josuke Higashikata in JoJo's Bizarre Adventure would be another example (and was written and drawn at a time when the Japanese gangster was popular), except he never has the "act all tough" part and is just a nice guy who dresses like a thug.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
@leafy sea dragon

Don't forget Fruits Basket. Both Toru's mother (in flashbacks) and friend are "reformed" girl gang members.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Funny you bring "cute girls doing cute things" and "delinquent gangs" in the same sentence, because I developed an idea of a show revolving around "cute girls doing...not so cute things" and its tone is the complete opposite of the overly cheerful shows that you regularly see like Yuru Yuri, K-on, or Strawberry Marshmallow.

Sounds like Sabagebu!.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
I remember that the bosozoku used to be active in the greater Kanto area, such as Chiba and Yokohama. There have been a few documentaries where they interview former members, and quite a few will decline to have their faces shown, it seems that as they mature they become ashamed of their past. Also, I thought the female version of the bosozoku type gangs were also called "Ladies," as referred to if you read the Japanese version of Fruits Basket.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heishi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
Looks like you guys missed the point of the "cute girls doing...not so cute things" concept I developed.

Let me be clear. The show's tone is supposed to look anime girl cutesy but its also pretty dark and serious. It's starts out like any cutesy moe/loli anime but all of a sudden turns into this really dark, violent, sexual, anime that is similar to what you see in shows like say...Higurashi or Black Lagoon. Let's just say if you seen Kodomo no Jikan, the show I created makes that show look like Sesame Street in comparison.

Subject matter involves sex(lesbian), drugs, gang wars, martial arts fighting, forming relationships, and cute young girls rebelling against a system they deem to be "oppressing girls like them,". Japan grows increasingly anarchic as these girls rule the streets and only a handful group of girls can stop them. Pretty damn heavy on the yuri aspect and homophobia is also a subject matter that's tackled.

The point of the show is about "cute girls doing not so cute things to other cute girls".
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
Looks like you guys missed the point of the "cute girls doing...not so cute things" concept I developed.

Let me be clear. The show's tone is supposed to look anime girl cutesy but its also pretty dark and serious. It's starts out like any cutesy moe/loli anime but all of a sudden turns into this really dark, violent, sexual, anime that is similar to what you see in shows like say...Higurashi or Black Lagoon. Let's just say if you seen Kodomo no Jikan, the show I created makes that show look like Sesame Street in comparison.

Subject matter involves sex(lesbian), drugs, gang wars, martial arts fighting, forming relationships, and cute young girls rebelling against a system they deem to be "oppressing girls like them,". Japan grows increasingly anarchic as these girls rule the streets and only a handful group of girls can stop them. Pretty damn heavy on the yuri aspect and homophobia is also a subject matter that's tackled.

The point of the show is about "cute girls doing not so cute things to other cute girls".

I like Kodomo no Jikan. I'd watch your show.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
There's also that character archetype where they look like a Japanese delinquent and act all tough but are actually nice and kind on the inside.

That's my favorite trope... Embarassed I love moe banchous so much
You see it often in otoge and shoujo manga
Oresama Teacher (one of my fave manga) is all about a bunch of delinquents but they're all nice in their own way.
hatanakatoru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Those gang group does exist and I want add some background which was not mentioned. In Japan, punishment for juvenile crimes is extremely lenient and even if they seriously injure adult teacher, they can get out of juvenile detention center after a few years. When I was in Japanese school, gang ruled the student society and all teachers were afraid to touch them, because gangs often threat teacher too. Also, Japanese teachers are controlled by communist association and they don't like report anything to police. A teacher I know were attacked by them, but school never went to police and they just settled the incidence internally. Gang problem is usually worse in public junior high school.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
hatanakatoru wrote:
Also, Japanese teachers are controlled by communist association and they don't like report anything to police.

The Nikkyoso isn't really what Americans would think of when they hear the phrase "communist organization", though. It's basically just Japan's national teachers' union. Teachers' unions tend to gravitate towards the left of any country's political spectrum, and when you consider that the Liberal Democrats have long been considered the Japanese "conservative" party, it's hard not to imagine how the Nikkyoso got its reputation for being communist.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:01 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Heishi wrote:

I like Kodomo no Jikan. I'd watch your show.

Cool. Hope you can stomach through it, though. Razz
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
I remember that the bosozoku used to be active in the greater Kanto area, such as Chiba and Yokohama. There have been a few documentaries where they interview former members, and quite a few will decline to have their faces shown, it seems that as they mature they become ashamed of their past. Also, I thought the female version of the bosozoku type gangs were also called "Ladies," as referred to if you read the Japanese version of Fruits Basket.

Interesting. When you see documentaries about American gangs, the ones who've resigned will tend to prefer to have their faces hidden out of fear of retaliation by the active gang members, as most of them use intimidation and threats to keep them in the gang. Typically, the only way out is through death. (Or the gang itself dissolving.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2