• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Amazon Prime Video - Worst Streaming Platform Ever?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:48 am Reply with quote
Yeah, GLT seems to be a frequent late drop. I see I have access to episode 11 now, though.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:30 am Reply with quote
Hope they fix the segment billboards and add the titles, " Culture, Destruction, The Past."

Girls' Last Tour has so much dialogue and philosophy I can understand why it might be hard to get the episodes translated on time every week. Who knows when White Fox had the raw ready for broadcast.

Doesn't Sentai bear some responsibility as the ones providing the subtitles?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
I believe Sentai is providing the subtitles, but I don't think they are responsible for subtitles not appearing on AP/AS. I think that is a technical issue that originates at Amazon. The reason I think this is that, from what I can determine, there is a country by country difference in missing subtitles. You, as an AS customer in the US may get subtitles for Show A, episode 3. I, as a Canadian AP customer, may not. That suggests to me the problem isn't with Sentai.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:53 am Reply with quote
Soooo, I was thinking about making a new forum post about this, but figured I'd ask here first:

Is Anime Strike dead now??

I'd honestly been committed to the idea of torrenting shows on Amazon's Anime Strike because I don't like the idea of the double-pay-wall and didn't think there was enough content to really justify the subscription on top of my Prime membership. Then, I was preparing to finally watch Made in Abyss, Girl's Last Tour, and Re:Creators and realized that they're all Amazon shows. So I figured, what the hell, maybe I'll look into actually getting Anime Strike, or at least giving a trial a shot....

However, when I then tried to go on Amazon and look for information on Anime Strike, I came up pretty empty. I found a splash page for the service, but when I clicked on "Learn more" it just redirected me to the Prime Video page and all of the "Anime Strike" shows are listed as "Included with Prime" and I can stream them freely through my Amazon Video app without any additional subscription.

So does anyone know what's up? Did Amazon give up on Anime Strike as an additional service on top of Prime? I mean, I'd love it if they did! I just watched the first episode of Made in Abyss on my PS4 which was really cool. Although they may not be the best streaming service out there, I do hope this doesn't mean they just gave up on being serious about licensing new anime content for streaming since it does seem to provide a good amount of money to anime creators. Any info anyone has would be greatly appreciated!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:34 am Reply with quote
Hmm, interesting. As a Canadian, I can't shed any light on this since we never had Anime Strike to start with. I'll be curious about any details that anybody might have, as well.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:47 am Reply with quote
Apparently Amazon actually listened to fans complaining about the double paywall. From a story that broke on Forbes just this morning:

Quote:
Anime Strike, Amazon's foray into the Japanese animation market, is no more. The closure comes just short of its 1st birthday, January 12.

Anime Strike was one of what Amazon calls “Channels,” add-on services that provide additional content to Prime Video for an additional $5 a month. But on Friday fans woke up to discover that anime previously behind an Anime Strike paywall was available with simply a Prime subscription.

A spokesperson for Amazon confirmed that Anime Strike, along with its sister channel Heera—another niche Amazon Channel that provides Bollywood content—have been added to Prime Video.

"We have decided to move the curated catalogs of Anime Strike and Heera into Prime Video so that more customers can enjoy this content as part of their Prime membership," the spokesperson said.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurenorsini/2018/01/05/amazon-shuts-down-anime-strike/

I guess I'll cancel my subscription. Amazon hasn't notified me about any of this yet.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:57 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:

Oh wow! That's about the biggest coincidence I've had happen to me in a while! I'm glad there's an official story on this out now. But man, this does kind of seem like a bittersweet situation:

"Fans began to suspect something was up when Anime Strike failed to announce a single exclusive offering for the winter 2018 anime season."

This line kind of does give the impression that Amazon is stepping back from being a big player in the anime streaming market. I feel kind of sorry for the Japanese industry for its potential loss in licensing fee income.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:03 am Reply with quote
I still get my Anime Strike menu if I go there from my Prime menu and it still lists their "exclusives" but conspicuously absent is their "recently uploaded" menu.
Last charged for it on Dec. 17

However, when I log into my Amazon Business account and view channels I cannot find Anime Strike in the selections anymore and if I poke around more and find the still there promo page, like you, it redirects to Prime.

I've not received any word from Amazon about it being discontinued though.

The next point to note will be on the 7th, when they have always previously sent me my "free manga download." Not that I've bothered downloading any of them.

I suspect you're right though. Now that Sentai seems to have abandoned them to support their own HDive service all Amazon might have left is their Noitamina exclusivity... and that was announced almost 2 years ago, it might also be expiring after this season too.

(edit: You know an oddity of ANN's forum though? I took a while writing this response while I researched, and before posted I hit "preview" to make sure new responses hadn't been added that better answer it... but only Blood's first response showed up. So sorry for being redundant)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:29 am Reply with quote
Well that's interesting news. I was beginning to wonder. Guess this means I cancel Anime Strike then.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:43 am Reply with quote
For myself, this is good news. As the very existence of this thread can attest, I was having technical issues with streaming anime through Amazon that were pretty frustrating. I honestly don't believe this move will result in fewer anime titles being licensed for streaming - I think it just means those titles will go to places that can somehow manage to drop episodes on the day they are supposed to be dropped and do other minor things like, you know, guarantee the presence of subtitles 100% of the time.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:01 am Reply with quote
It does make me wonder about the status of Koi wa Ameagari no You ni (Love is Like After the Rain[?]), this season's Noitamina show. No streaming announcements for it have been made and I was debating if it alone would justify an Anime Strike. subscription. Hopefully it will go elsewhere or at least continue on Prime. they did stream a couple shows on Prime before starting Strike (and annoyingly declining to stream The Great Passage until Strike began).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
pluvia33

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:11 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I honestly don't believe this move will result in fewer anime titles being licensed for streaming - I think it just means those titles will go to places that can somehow manage to drop episodes on the day they are supposed to be dropped and do other minor things like, you know, guarantee the presence of subtitles 100% of the time.

I agree, but the possibility of fewer anime licenses wasn't really a worry of mine. The issue with Amazon dropping out of the anime streaming business is that it takes away their competing dollar. Yeah, it might suck when Amazon picked up a new show if you don't like their service, especially if it was a sequel or spinoff of a show that had its previous entry streamed on a different service. However, if Amazon got a show, that meant that they almost for sure had to outbid Crunchyroll for the rights, meaning the Japanese producers ended up with more money than they otherwise would have gotten. Regardless of the inconvenience this competition caused to fans, I'm kind of sad to see it go for the sake of the people who actually make the anime we enjoy.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:15 am Reply with quote
All I can say is, "Good riddance. I won't miss you." Razz
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Simply on paper I like the idea of Amazon joining the anime market. I don't want huge bidding wars that will drive up home release prices. However, I also don't want a monopoly with FuniCrunch. Sure there's HiDive but they can't even get all the streaming apps up yet so it's not that viable outside of your computer for streaming yet. The problems from the start were two fold. The obvious glaring one that was the double paywall. Make it included in Prime and for those without Prime simply make it have it's own package comparable to say Funi or Crunchy per year. For the life of me I can't understand how they fudged that up so bad. The other problem was they obviously had not done their research and were not prepared for simulcast streaming judging by the myriad of subtitle issues reported. Which again to me is very confusing that Amazon would go into this without knowing what they were doing. I easily would have expected more from them.

Whether it's Amazon with no double paywall and some actual reliable streaming, or HiDive finally being more streaming friendly and a real contender I would like to see a real viable second option to the FuniCrunch conglomerate.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I could be wrong but I don't think AP is out of the anime business altogether. I think they realized the double pay wall wasn't working. However, it's possible they are pulling their horns in a bit and may not carry as many simulcast titles as they did when they seemed to have an arrangement with Sentai. Even without HiDive, there's Netflix to oppose the CR/Funi behemoth and even Viz runs some of its stuff off Tubi or its own site (this output, of course, is a mere dribble compared to what CR/Funi do). Personally, I think the streaming/home release anime industry in NA is in a pretty healthy place right now. I hope I haven't jinxed it...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6